UN Secretary-General.

UN Secretary - General
------------------------

        "In keeping with the good offices mandate I received from the
General Assembly and from the Commission on Human Rights, I have established
a dialogue with the Government of Myanmar in order to address various issues
of concern to the international community, in particular with respect to the
process of democratization and national reconciliation in that country.
During the period under review, my Representatives have held several rounds
of talks in New York and Yangon with Secretary 1 of the State Law and Order
Restoration Council, the Minister for Foreign Affairs and other authorities
of the Government. In the talks, a series of ideas were discussed, which, if
implemented would assist in moving the process forward.

        I welcome the Government's decision to lift the restrictions imposed
on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and to release a number of other political
prisoners, including several leading members of the National League for
Democracy. I look forrward to further steps to speed up the return of
multi-party democracy in Myanmar. I will report to the General Assembly at
its fifteth session on the progress of those discussions, which are being
continued on my behalf at Yangon in August by the Assistant Secretary
General for Political Affairs."

(Boutros Boutros Ghali, Secretary-General of the United Nations)

[Annual Report on the Work of the Organisation 1995, United Nations].