ABSDF: STATEMENT ON THE FIFTH ASEAN

Subject: ABSDF: STATEMENT ON THE FIFTH ASEAN SUMMIT

                                  ABSDF
                  ALL BURMA STUDENTS' DEMOCRATIC FRONT

            STATEMENT ON THE FIFTH ASEAN SUMMIT

                                        Date: December 12, 1995

We, the ABSDF students have learnt that "peace and security will
continue to be ASEAN's prime concern because they are fundamental
to our development in all fields", said by the Prime Minister
Banharn Silpa-archa interviewing with Bangkok Post on 12
December.

General Than Shwe, the Chairman of State Law and Order
Restoration Council will attend the fifth Asean Summit on
Thursday in Bangkok. At the same time, the Slorc military regime
is, after all, the most brutal in Southeast Asia with a record of
human rights abuses.

We would like to say that we are very surprised of the invitation
to the Slorc military regime by the Royal Government of Thailand
to attend the fifth Asean Summit as a guest. Because, Royal
Government of Thailand was democratically elected by the entire
people of Thailand.

We firmly believe that to achieve peace and security in Southeast
Asia, which mainly depends on the stablity of political
situation, and like Burma being ruled by the military regime can
not bring genuine peace and benefit not only for the whole region
but also even for its own people.

Respectfully, we appeal to the all members of Asean Nations to
make use of every contact it has with the Slorc to urge the
military junta to:

1. Unconditionally release Student leader Min Ko Naing and all
political prisoners;

2. Cancel all unjust laws;

3. Abolish the sham National Convention, and

4. Open dialogue with democratic forces led by Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi and leaders of ethnic nationalities in order to bring
national reconciliation, democracy and peace to Burma.

Central Leading Committee
ABSDF
Headquarters, 8888 Camp