(Updated on H.RES. 274) Burma & U.S

Subject:  (Updated on H.RES. 274) Burma & U.S. Congress on December 19, 1995

Attn: Burma Newsreaders
Re: (Updated on H.RES. 274) Burma & U.S. Congress on December 19, 1995

        CONCERNING HUMAN RIGHTS AND DEMOCRACY IN BURMA
                 (House of Representatives - December 19, 1995)

Mr. GILMAN. Mr. Speaker, I move to suspend the rules and agree to the
resolution (H. Res. 274) concerning human rights and democracy in Burma and a
United Nations General Assembly resolution, as amended.

The Clerk read as follows:  H. RES. 274

(WHICH WAS POSTED ON BURMANET, MAYKHA, FREE-BURMA-L, AND SOC.CULTURE.BURMA
NEWSGROUP. IF YOU STILL WANT TO HAVE A COPY, PLEASE EMAIL TO
FreeBurma@xxxxxxxx)

The SPEAKER pro tempore. Pursuant to the rule, the gentleman from New York
[Mr. Gilman] will be recognized for 20 minutes, and the gentleman from
Indiana [Mr. Hamilton] will be recognized for 20 minutes.

The Chair recognizes the gentleman from New York [Mr. Gilman].

Mr. GILMAN. Mr. Speaker, I yield myself such time as I may consume.

Mr. Speaker, 2 weeks ago, Aung San Suu Kyi announced that her party, the
National League for Democracy, would no longer participate in Slorc's sham
constitutional convention. Suu rightly pointed out that her nation could
never be expected to accept a constitution that was forced upon the
convention participants by the military. It was very good to learn that our
representatives at the U.N. refused this week to cosponsor a U.N. human
rights resolution on Burma because it did not refer to the withdrawal, and
subsequent expulsion, from the national convention of delegates from Suu
Kyi's party.

Slorc demands that the constitution stipulates a leading role for the
military in Burma 's political process and would exclude anyone married to a
foreigner from assuming the office of the president. Suu is married to an
Oxford professor.

Slorc claims that her decision to boycott the convention is confrontation
politics. Suu was right to point out that `what they have termed
confrontational is that we have asked for dialogue, which we want in order to
prevent confrontation. To silence the views of people whose opinions are
different by putting them in prison is far more confrontational.'

I am deeply concerned that a senior official of the Slorc in response to
Suu's statement called Suu a traitor who should be annihilated. That sort of
remark is not taken lightly by this committee.

Our Nation has very serious reasons to be concerned about what occurs in
Burma and to Suu Kyi. High on our priority is the illicit drug production
that has had a devastating impact on our cities, families and schools.

In 1948 when Burma became independent, the annual production of opium was 30
tons. Burma was then a democracy, it exported rice to its neighbors and the
world, and it enjoyed a free-market system. It was known as the `rice bowl'
of Asia. Today, Burma is one of the poorest nations in the world and its
opium production has increased some 8,000 percent to about 2,575 tons in
1992-1993.

What is the reason for this massive increase? Bertil Litner, the Burma
reporter for the Far East Economic Review, states in his book `Burma in
Revolt,' that Burmese drug production is the consequence of:

The inability of successive governments in Rangoon to come to terms with the
country's ethnic minorities and the refusal of post-1962 military-dominated
regimes to permit an open, pluralistic society.

Unfortunately, some U.S. officials have taken the position that the human
rights problem should be kept separate from the drug problem. What these
officials have failed to recognize is that the human rights problem is
directly linked to the drug production. As Bertil Litner points out, the
majority of the opium grown in Burma is grown so that ethnic minorities can
protect themselves.

While their leaders are not angels, it is very difficult to grow anything
else in those regions and they need the money for arms. Until they feel
confident that a representative form of government is established in Rangoon,
they will continue to grow opium just like they have for the past 40 years.

A democratic Burma led by Suu Kyi and the other members of parliament elected
and thrown into prison in 1990, will help us to resolve the Burmese drug
production problem that is spiraling out of control. Threatening Suu Kyi and
her democratic followers threatens our Nation's efforts in the drug area.

Accordingly, I urge my colleagues to support House Resolution 274.

Mr. Speaker, I reserve the balance of my time.

Mr. HAMILTON. Mr. Speaker, I yield myself such time as I may consume.

(Mr. HAMILTON asked and was given permission to revise and extend his
remarks.)

Mr. HAMILTON. Mr. Speaker, I want to commend my friend and chairman, the
gentleman from New York [Mr. Gilman], for bringing this resolution before the
House. It is a timely statement of our opposition to repressive measures
practiced by the Government of Burma and to Burma 's continued failure to
address the grave drug trafficking problem in a serious manner.

I believe it is important that this committee and this Congress speak up for
political freedom and human rights whenever they are threatened. The United
States should not, and will not, turn a blind eye toward political repression
or a violation of fundamental human rights in Burma or anywhere else in the
world.

Unfortunately, the people of Burma are governed by a ruthless military regime
that has no understanding of the concepts of freedom or liberty or of
individual rights. That is why it is important for the Congress to send a
strong and unambiguous signal that clearly places the United States on the
side of the Burmese people and their aspirations for democracy and human
rights.

Similarly, this committee should reiterate its strong support for a vigorous
attack on the very serious problem of drug trafficking.

House Resolution 274 calls on the Government of Burma to take concrete and
effective action to control the massive flow of heroin from Burma . In this
context, I also believe it is important for the United States to continue to
support alternative development activities being conducted by the United
Nations drug control program in the principal opium growing areas of Burma .

Given the limited contact we can and should have with the State Law and Order
Restoration Counsel, or SLORC, I believe that these efforts have the best
chance of impacting opium production in Burma at this time.

I urge the support of this resolution.

Mr. Speaker, I reserve the balance of my time.

Mr. GILMAN. Mr. Speaker, I yield such time as he may consume to the gentleman
from Nebraska [Mr. Bereuter], the distinguished chairman of our Subcommittee
on Asia and the Pacific.

Mr. BEREUTER. Mr. Speaker, House Resolution 274, the resolution concerning
Burma and the U.N. General Assembly that this body is considering today is
both important and timely. Recent developments have heightened tension in
Burma . Burma 's democratic opposition leader Aung Sang Suu Kyi recently
announced that she and her party, the NLD, would boycott the national
constitutional convention organized by Burma 's military junta, the SLORC.
SLORC responded by expelling the NLD from the convention, thus foreclosing
any chance for dialog between the Government and the opposition. Without
dialog between the democratic opposition and the SLORC the prospects for
democracy and stability in Burma are bleak. Clearly, conditions in Burma are
once again on a downward spiral.

This Member commends the distinguished gentleman from New York [Mr. Gilman],
chairman of the House International Relations Committee, for his tireless
efforts in promoting democracy in Burma and other parts of Asia and,
specifically, for his initiative in drafting this resolution. House
Resolution 274 addresses the human rights and narcotics problems in Burma in
a constructive way. This Member hopes that Burma 's generals understand that
the Congress of the United States wants to promote cooperative ties between
our two countries, but that would only be possible if they take effective
action to expand human rights and democracy in Burma and to clamp down on
Burma 's massive opium production.

The Committee on International Relations unanimously approved House
Resolution 274 on December 14. This Member understands the administration has
no objections to the resolution as amended and approved by the Subcommittee
on Asia and the Pacific and the Committee on International Relations, which I
chair.

This Member urges all of our colleagues to support House Resolution 274.

Mr. HAMILTON. Mr. Speaker, I yield 5 minutes to the distinguished gentleman
from New Mexico [Mr. Richardson].

(Mr. RICHARDSON asked and was given permission to revise and extend his
remarks.)

Mr. RICHARDSON. Mr. Speaker, I rise in support of this resolution which urges
the governing State Law and Order Restoration Council to open a dialog with
Aung San Suu Kyi and her National League for Democracy, release all political
prisoners, repeal laws limiting freedom of association and expression, and
help control the flow of heroin from Burma .

I commend Ambassador Madeleine Albright for her tremendous work on this
issue. I encourage all Members to support the work of our U.N. Representative
as she relentlessly pursues the cause of Burmese democracy leader Aung San
Suu Kyi. Ambassador Albright had a great meeting in Burma this fall with Aung
San Suu Kyi.

I join Ambassador Albright's endorsement of the recent U.N. resolution which
urges the Government of Burma to cease its violations of internationally
recognized human rights.

The United States did not cosponsor the U.N. resolution because it did not
focus on several specific problem areas that must be recognized.
Additionally, the U.N. resolution fails to take into account the impact of
recent developments in Burma that have given us cause for great concern. It
is imperative that the SLORC understand that the United States and the
international community will not tolerate threats or actions that suppress
the advancement of the democratic movement in Burma .

The bill before us today sends a message to the SLORC that is consistent with
Ambassador Albright's policy.

I would like to caution Members of the risks we take by treating Burma in the
same manner as we handled South Africa under its former regime. We need to
weigh the merits of isolating Burma , prohibiting trade or investment,
denying access to international capital flows, and employing economic
pressures to force the current military regime, SLORC, to act according to
our wishes.

We need to keep in mind that the United States economic role in Burma is
limited. And, while I support efforts to employ what leverage we have to our
advantage, I insist that we use it wisely.

Mr. GILMAN. Mr. Speaker, I yield myself such time as I may consume.

Mr. Speaker, I want to commend the gentleman from New Mexico [Mr. Richardson]
for his strong support of democracy in Burma . I know the gentleman has
traveled to Burma . He was instrumental in helping to gain the release of
Aung San Suu Kyi from house arrest, and we commend the gentleman for his
efforts and thank him for his participation in this debate.

Mr. HAMILTON. Mr. Speaker, I have no further requests for time, and I yield
back the balance of my time.

Mr. GILMAN. Mr. Speaker, I have no further requests for time, and I yield
back the balance of my time.

The SPEAKER pro tempore (Mr. Bunn of Oregon). The question is on the motion
offered by the gentleman from New York [Mr. Gilman] that the House suspend
the rules and agree to the resolution. House Resolution 274, as amended.

The question was taken; and (two-thirds having voted in favor thereof) the
rules were suspended and the resolution, as amended, was agreed to.

A motion to reconsider was laid on the table.