REPORT ON COMMUNICATIONS (13/11/95)

/* Written Fri 19 Jan 6:00am 1996 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Report on Communications (13/11/95) "------------- */

ADDED NOTE TO OUR FRIENDS:
-------------------------
The joint submission by International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) and
the Overseas Burma Liberation Front (OBLF), which recently posted to
the net, has been one of the best presentations, to my opinion, reflecting
the characteristic of Military Government of Burma (SLORC). Since 1988,
the SLORC has been ruling the country by applying various oppressive laws,
of those introduced by previous administration as well as those are
enacted by SLORC; And SLORC justify it's ruling after May 1990 election,
with Declaration 1/90, as a sole legitimate body to govern Burma.
The report also pointed out the international community's lack of action
in responding the illegitimate regime in Burma and advocate that SLORC
be totally isolated by the international community.

The debate on "isolation vs. engagement" has been a subject of interest
to the Burmese prodemocracy groups for a long time. The advocates
of isolation (Isolationist) prefer foreign embassies to withdraw
from Burma, and also to cease the official representation of SLORC
at the United Nations. To isolationists' belief, the regime will
simply collapse by making international isolations thereby denying
international legitimacy.

>From my point of view, the total isolation do not present as the best
solution for Burma's problems. The isolation might bring a collapse
of SLORC, however the greater danger will await since there is no
alternative body that is ready to govern the country. For this
reason alone, I would prefer the "benchmarks" or "critical dialogue"
approach which is a middle-way between the isolation and engagement.
I believe this approach also present the best opportunity for the
democratic forces to exercise a non-violent resistance to the oppression.

As SLORC is no longer representing the people of Burma, some have
advocated United Nations to declare the Burma's seat vacant. From my own
judgement, such measure may not be necessary. The SLORC has already
lost their representation at the U.N !! From recent reports from
the U.N.G.A. and other U.N. forums, it is evident that the views and
judgements are in a greater favour to pro-democracy groups - as it should,
eventhough the SLORC's Foreign Minister and Representative are still
being able to formally give addresses at these U.N. forums.
This fact, undoubtedly, is one of the successful example, that
is resulting by the non-violent opposition to the SLORC.

For a successful reforms in Burma are to be carried out, one surely
will need the support of United Nations and that of external powers.
It is not just good enough for the Burma's democracy movement
simply asking "help us" to the U.N. and international community,
but we must find ways and means that would enable those organizations
to help Burma. In doing so, one also needs in taking into account of
the fact that none of the organizations on the earth is having an absolute
power - all organizations have their own policy and logistics limitations.

While the Burma's pro-democracy forces are to continue focusing the
political situation in Burma, they should not  lose the sight
of escalating humanitarian crisis in Burma. The escalating humanitarian
crisis in Burma pose a greater danger to the Burmese people than that
of SLORC itself. I recently receive news about Burmese in their
desperation at home continue to pour into neighbouring countries.
The situation is exacerbated by the SLORC's ill-defined economic
policies and practices that have led to the high price of
basic food items, particularly rice. Burmese people, as a result
of the SLORC's so called "free market economic policy", are now
even poorer. Under SLORC's "free market", the poor Burmese can
only trade the "rice water (Hta-min-ye)". Once it was called
"the rice bowl of Asia", Burma is no longer one of the great rice
exporters. Burma under SLORC is "exporting" the "refugees and prostitutes"
to its neighbours. SLORC's attempt to cure Burma's economic ill
by promoting tourism is rather unrealistic - for no such numbers
of foreign visitors could come to feed the poor Burmese. May be
there is a point to praise SLORC for its attempt to tackle
the problem at least. However, to quote from a Famous One's word,
it's like "trying to cure leukaemia with leeches".

With best regards, U Ne Oo.

/* ---------------- Letter from UNHCR (Canberra) ------------------ */
UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES
Office of the Regional Representative for
Australia, New Zeland and the South Pacific

9 Terrigal Crescent
O'Malley, A.C.T. 2606
Australia
Telephone: (+61 6) 290 1355
Fax: (+61 6) 290 1315

Dear Dr U Ne Oo

Thank  you for various letters you have sent us concerning the repatriation
of Burmese from Australia, copies of which we have forwarded to  the  UNHCR
headquarters in Geneva.

When  the  conditions  prevail  for  the safe return of Burmese refugees to
their country, this Office will most certainly offer its  services  to  the
Burmese community in Australia.

Yours sincerely,
Sd. J.O. Moses Okello
Deputy Regional Representative

/* ----------------- Letter from Senator Schacht ------------------- */
PARLIAMENT OF AUSTRALIA - THE SENATE
OFFICE OF SENATOR CHRIS SCHACHT

Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
ST MARYS SA 5042

Dear Dr Oo

I refer to your letter datd 3 October 1995 concerinig the  repatriation  of
Burmese refugees in Australia. Please accept my apology for the delay in my
response.

I  have  referred  your  letter  to the Minister for Immigration and Ethnic
Affairs, Senator The Hon Nick Bolkus, for consideration.

I will contact you again as soon as I receive a reply from him.

Yours sincerely
Sd. CHRIST SCHACHT
Labor Senator for South Australia

/* ----------------- Letter from DFAT (Australia) ------------------ */
DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND TRADE
CANBERRA A.C.T. 2600

Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
ST MARY'S SA 5042

Dear Dr U Ne Oo

Thank  you  for  your  letter  and  attachements of 12 October addressed to
Senator Evans concerning the situation of people who have fled from Myanmar
and obtained sanctury in neighboruing countries. Senator Evans has asked me
to reply on his behalf.

The Australian Government shares about the situation  of  people  who  have
fled  Myanmar  to  escape  human rights abuses, military activity and civil
strife. We will continue to urge the Government of Myanmar  to  under  take
reforms  that will permit people from Myanmar to return to their country in
safety and dignity. As you are probably aware,  the  Australian  Government
assists  people  in  the border camps in Thailand and Bangladesh by funding
humanitarian assistance that is delivered through NGOs.

The Australian Government publicly welcomed the release of Aung San Suu Kyi
on 10  July  1995.  Her  release  is  an  important  step  by  the  Myanmar
Government, but we believe it needs to do a lot more to demonstrate that it
is  serious about fundamental political and human rights reform. Of the ten
benchmarks identified by Senator Evans at the 1944 ASEAN  Post  Ministerial
Conference  in  Bangkok as means to gauge progress in Myanmar, only one has
been achieved: the release of Aung San Suu Kyi. The Myanmar Government  has
made little or no substantive progress against the other benchmarks, and in
some  instances  - such as access by the International Committee of the Red
Cross to prisoners - things have actually gone backwards.

We share your concern at the slow pace of political reform in  Myanmar  and
agree  that  it  is important to maintain the pressure on the Government of
Myanmar. Australian policy will remain unchanged while we monitor events in
Myanmar over the coming months to ascertain whether the Myanmar  Government
is   genuinely   committed   to   political   reform   and   true  national
reconciliation. We will continue to use all  available  avenues,  including
the  UN,  and  the forthcoming debate on Myanmar at the UN General Assembly
next month to promote positive change in Myanmar.

Yours sincerely
Sd. Frank Milne
Assistant Secretary
Mainland South-East Asia Branch.