TRANSLATED STATEMENT OF THE KNPLF S

Subject: TRANSLATED STATEMENT OF THE KNPLF STATEMENT

                                  ABSDF
                  ALL BURMA STUDENTS' DEMOCRATIC FRONT

                         STATEMENT OF THE KNPLF

To All people of Burma,

The Karenni National People's Liberation Front (KNPLF), being a
political organization, considers that it has the responsibility
to inform the country and people of its opinion regarding
the common problems of the country.

Therefore, we state our opinion as follows:

1. At present, it is a very crucial time for all people of
Burma. We have the responsibility, to work collectively for the
sake of non-disintegration of the union, non-disintegration of
national solidarity, and consolidation of national
sovereignty.

2. According to past historical experience, we have learned
that national disunity has broken out when the political
problems of Burma were solved by means of confrontation.

3. We believe that it is very appropriate to solve the different
problems of the country through dialogue, democratically and
peacefully under the status of equality and
mutual respect.

4. Regarding the National Convention, we believe and hope that if
there is a dialogue between the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC) and the NLD (National League for
Democracy) to address the differences, in the name
of the interest of the country with equality, patience and
tolerance, it will lead to the good consequences and results for
the future of Burma.

Therefore, we sincerely urge the SLORC and NLD to find the
solution through dialogue.

                                            Central Committee
                                        Karenni National People's Liberation Front.
Date: January 21, 1996

(This document came out in Burmese and was translated by the
Research Department of the ABSDF- MTZ.)