Response to MGG Pillai

Sir/Madam:

An entire nation votes a military dictatorship out of office.  That same
dictatorship, after harassing, exiling, jailing, torturing and even
murdering the victors, remains in power through brute force.  Can this
so-called government not be labelled "outlaw"?  Or would you prefer we call
SLORC "electorally challenged"?

Moreover, what you call "pointless raving," I call free speech, a right
which every person should exercise, even those who use big words like
"etymological."  But if the conversation is too robust for you, please
remember that you do have alternatives:  i.e., burmanews-l  (a.k.a.
"Burmanet Lite:  Half the Messages of Burmanet, and Half the Fun").

We are not throwing stones at SLORC.  We are, to quote a much-admired
Burmanet subscriber, putting the outlaw government "between a rock and a
hard place."  Many of us, perhaps most of us, believe this is the most
effective way to get the generals to talk with the democratic opposition --
the moral equivalent of putting a gun to their thick heads.  But if you have
better ideas, we'd love to hear them.

With all due respect,

Carol Schlenker
"Vox Populi Vox Dei"