Rumours and Events from the Boarder

Mae Sot, TAK, February 12-22 1996

The face of Mae Sot is changing rapidly. New constructions, gold and gem
shops are dotted across town. Many more luxury cars can be seen as the
economy improves.

Guest houses are full of backpackers, wanting to get a feel for rural
Thailand and to trek through Karen villages. They are oblivious to the
boarder problems with KNU, SLORC and DKBA except that some areas are not
recommended to tour. Mae Oo Suu caves was a popular tourist destination,
local Thai-Karen kids would offer tours for 5 or 10 baht, but it is now
believed to shelter some DKBA troops and receives to more visitors.

Several western NGO staff are keeping a low profile after specificly
being named over DKBA radio. KNU radio intercepters reported that DKBA
are planning to step up attacks this dry season and said that they will also
be targeting any NGO staff helping refugees.

Thai television for the first time openly blamed SLORC for the DKBA
attacks and claimed that SLORC frequently accompanied DKBA soldiers when
attacking camps and villagers on the Thai side of the boarder.

Bak Law refugee camp has now expanded to well over 10,000 residents. The
main entrance to the camp is heavily guarded with Thai military
personal. Shelters and trenches have been build incase the DKBA attack.
These shelters are only for the military personal.

The refugees live in fear of DKBA attacks, one man said "When I sleep, I
do it with one ear open. A leaf may fall from the tree, but I must look
for the DKBA to protect my family."
A 12 year old boy said "If you go over there at night", pointing towards
the Moi River, "Bang, bang, you die." I asked him who, he replied, "DKBA."

Water and sanitation is a major problem in the new areas. The dry season
only just at the start, but many of the wells are almost dry. There are
not enough toilets for all the new refugees. Baw Naw camp has an abundance
of water, but now the same people have to walk long distances to find
water.

The Thai military photographed all the refugees again this year. Each
refugee must pay 30 baht for the photo to be taken. This proceedure has
been carried out several times in the past and each time the reason was for
security ID cards, however no-one has ever seen the results.

The army instructed the refugees to build a fence around the camp.
Each family had to provide 8 lengths of bamboo cut for the job. The fence
had to be installed in 3 days because the Thai General planned to visit
the camp. The fence is about 5-6 feet high, there are several gates
installed along the road. The army says it will be easier guard against
the DKBA. However, little thought has been given for refugees escaping DKBA
attacks.

Many troops were moved in for the visit of the general. On the morning of
the visit between 9 and 10am, 12 troop trucks arrived. The refugees had
been forced to clean up the camp for the generals visit. Groups of heavily
armed soldiers roamed the camp. On the road to Mae Sot, police waited at
every bus stop. A convoy of around 30 cars headed up the Mae Suiang road
about 1pm and helecopters flew ahead to check the road.

Immigration Police on the 21st arrested more than 50 people traveling
into Mae Sot. On one Song Taw three children of no more that 13 years
were arrested and put in a waiting truck. Thai children are not
issued with ID papers until they are 15 years old and are free to
travel. However these police from Bangkok did not listen to the pleas of
the children.

The arrests where later thought to be a money collecting exercise as
those who could pay 3000 baht where released on the Thai side to return
to the camps.

One boy, who was almost arrested but was traveling with a western man, said,
"I was very scared, I could not speak Thai because I was so afraid. I am
Thai-Karen and my home is in Mae Sot, but they would not believe me."

The situation is far worse that after the fall of Manaplaw last year. And
with the continuing threats from DKBA and repatreation from the Thai's to
is not going to improve.

ATIAH.....
Burma Support Group, Sydney