Burmese-Thai Teak wood furniture st (r)

Subject: Re: Burmese-Thai Teak wood furniture store- Washington, D.C.

Aaron Bros. Art Marts is a large chain store known for its sales on art &
poster frames.  During a stop there yesterday, we discovered teak frames
"from Thailand."

Marketers of Thai teak can no longer avoid the connection to rainforest
destruction and support of Burma's SLORC.  Logging was banned in Thailand in
1988, but to keep the wood products industry thriving, they buy from Burma.

Hurrah to the Wisconsin Avenue Burma Action Group, where ever you are!  Find
that store!

At 03:43 PM 3/11/96, you wrote:
>Subject: Burmese-Thai Teak wood furniture store- Washington, D.C.
>
>   I do not immedaitely remember the name of the store.  But, there is a
>Small furniture on Wisconsin Avenue in Maryland near various grass-root
>campaign headquarters.  I found it within the previous 3 months.  The man
>behind the desk was knowledgable about hardwoods and admitted that some (if
>not all) of the wood used is from Burma.
>  The Teak industry is one, if I understand correctly, is being sold by SLORC
> and stripped by Thai wood companies.
>
>I simply thought BurmaNet users may want to know about that store, trace its
>sources, and then put out of business.
>
>Philip F. McCracken,III
>BurmaJapan@xxxxxxx

	=====B=O=Y=C=O=T=T=====U=N=O=C=A=L=====
	Los Angeles Campaign for a Free Burma
		freebrma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"In political tactics there are such things as dialogue and so
forth, but in our military science, there is no such thing as
dialogue.  Someone may say, 'Look, friend, please don't shoot.'
Well, that is not the way it works."
	-- Saw Maung, Fmr. SLORC Chairman.
		       .  .  .
	UNOCAL		\ | /		PTET