S.H.A.N : KHUN SA's TRIP TO RANGOON

S.H.A.N : KHUN SA'S TRIP TO RANGOON
02 March  1996

On December 29 1995, at 15:00 hours, a  nine-member SLORC delegation led by San
Pwint and Nyan Lin arrived at  the MTA general Headquarters in Ho Murng. On
January 02 1996, their back-up troops also arrived. On January 01 1996, a
ceremony in which MTA surrendered to SLORC, was held at the playground in Ho
Murng and another one on January 18 1996, at the parade ground in Murng Mai
recruit training camp. Thousands of assorted arms and soldiers fell into SLORC
hands.

During the ceremony on January 18 1996 at Murng Mai, when Maj-General Maung
Thint, Minister for Border Area Development and Ethnic Nationalities Development
( BAD END minister ) came to meet Khun Sa, he brought with him 5-6 paper boxes
sized 2 x 1 1/2 x 1 feet, covered with coloured packing paper and tied with silk
ribbons, which he presented to the MTA leader. Though the boxes were not opened
in public, most people thought they contained Burmese bank notes. General Maung
Thint left Ho Murng that evening . Before he left, during the feast held in
their honour that afternoon, on seeing Khun Sa's face was not very cheerful (
because his diabetes was troubling him ) he said, " Mr. Khun Sa, don't worry,
everything will turn out well. At first, General Khin Nyunt himself was to come.
But, on China's invitation, he had to go there with Senior General Than Shwe and
was unable to come. He was very sorry about it. " At that time one of the ex-CEC
members happened to be nearby and asked Maung Thint what they would do if
America asked for Khun Sa. Maung Thint answered, " Don't worry about that. We
can promise firmly that we will not sell Khun Sa to the Americans ", and laughed
heartily.

Shortly after, news about Khun Sa having gone to Rangoon came out. But some said
he was still in Ho Murng and would only leave for Rangoon at the end of
February. The news of his leaving came out,
when, on February 10 1996, during the night, 13 four-wheel trucks and one van
left Ho Murng ( via Murng Thar, Murng Nai, Narn Zarng , Loi Lern, Taunggyi to
Rangoon ) and most people believed that  Khun Sa had gone with that convoy. But
later it was said that he was still in Ho Murng.

At first SLORC intended to take him by helicopter, and just two days after the
surrendering ceremony, they had already transported some of the MTA officials
who live west of the Salween in northern and central Shan State, using
helicopters . But, at one point, they discovered 2-3 mines and grenades in a
food container of one of Khun Sa's body-guards. Since then ( early February ) no
helicopters come to Ho Murng again.

It was later known that the 14 vehicals which left Ho Murng on the night of
February 10 1996 carried only some of the MTA officials who were moving to live
in towns, and their belongings.

In mid-February, on the 15th or 16th, Khun Sa went to see the Abbot of Ho Murng
monastery, Venerable Carinda, and said, " Before long, I'll have to go  to
Rangoon. My work will not be finished if I do not go. Even though I don't want
to go, it is unavoidable. Please look after and encourage those who will remain
here while I am away. When my work is done, I will try to come back. If, by some
unfortunate turn of fate, death comes to me before I can return, please fetch my
bones and bury them here. Because Ho Murng is my city. " Large tears then ran
down his cheeks and he could say no more. He appeared to be suffering badly from
his chronic illness. After a short while he left for his house.

On February 23 1996, rumours about Khun Sa having left for Rangoon were heard
again. It was said that on that day, two helicodpters landed on Ho Murng
football field with Burmese troops taking strict security around it. They stayed
around only long enough for some officials and Khun Sa himself to board and then
took off to Rangoon. Seven 4-wheel trucks, said to be fully loaded with Khun
Sa's personal belongings and goods to present to SLORC top officers in Rangoon,
also left Ho Murng later that day.

But on February 29 1996, there were some people who claimed to have seen Khun Sa
on February 28, and asserted that he was still in Ho Murng.

And on March 2 1996, news came out again that Khun Sa would certainly have to
leave Ho Murng in 3-4 days' time. He would have to stay in Rangoon under house
arrest for at least 6 months to one year. Though it is uncertain whether he will
be allowed to return after his release, he has a strong desire to come back. The
Burmese army officers have been telling him that Ho Murng is no longer safe for
him and only in Rangoon that he will be able to live peacefully and securely.

Troops in charge of Khun Sa's security in Ho Murng now are said to be commandos
of a special force directly sent from Rangoon. After the surrender of thousands
of troops and arms in Ho Murng, no one except Khun Sa's body guards have been
allowed to keep arms, since mid-January.

These are the news stories about Khun Sa having left for Rangoon that are
circling for the time being. Anyhow, before very long, Khun Sa will surely have
to go. But as for when, where and how, these are facts that only Khun Sa's close
associates and SLORC top officials are privileged to know.

Note : On March 04 1996, SLORC sent Hasski helicopters to fetch Khun Sa to
Rangoon. His personal assistants Lao Tai, Lao Woo, Khun Leng and his private
doctor Lao Phe went on borad with him.

On March 07 1996, Sao Khwan Murng ( Secretary of the CEC of SSRC which was
formed in September 1995 after the MTA split to build up the soldiers' morale,
because many had deserted. The CEC was dissolved with the MTA surrender. ) and
Sao Nor Murng Orn ( Chairman of the sub-committee of Justice of SSRC ) arrived
in Taunggyi by car. They were to meet Khun Sa at a certain point on the sea
coast where he had made an appointment with them.

On March 08 1996, Sao Khwan Murng called some SSA senior leaders to come and see
him in Taunggyi to talk things over.
*****