Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubish (r)

Subject: Re: Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubishi

>From: David Wolfberg <freebrma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubishi
>
>Mr. Tanaka:

 .  From my limited knowledge, I can tell you
>that Mitsubishi is operating in collusion with a number of governments with
>patently racist agendas, including the SLORC.  I hope you will take the time
>to read this.
>
>If you want to know how offensive Mitsubishi's behavior is to people,
>contact the Penan of Sarawak, Malaysia, whose logging blockade was broken up
>on behalf of logging companies selling to Mitsubishi by government forces
>using batons and tear gas.  Talk to folks in Kenai, Alaska, where
>Unocal-Mitsubishi has created dozens of toxic pits through illegal dumping.
>Talk to tribal peoples from Irian Jaya, Indonesia, from which Mitsubishi
>also sources timber.  When one tribal leader protested against logging
>there, the Indonesian military cut off his head as a symbol to other tribes
>considering same.  Talk to the Stone Band in Northern Alberta, where 5,000
>indigenous peoples are being robbed of their means of existence by a
>Mitsubishi operation called Al-Pac, the largest bleach kraft pulp mill in
>the world, clearcutting aspen forests across 1/4 of this large Canadian
>province.  At this moment, Al-Pac is dumping dioxins into the Stone Band's
>life blood, the Athabasca River.  Or talk to worried mothers in Azusa,
>California, which ranks eighth in the U.S. for heavy particulates in the air
>thanks to a Mitsubishi-owned mining operation.  Or loggers in British
>Columbia whose livelihoods are being pulled out from under them because
>Mitsubishi is using only 15% of the trees it cuts down to produce nine
>million pairs of chopsticks per day.  Mitsubishi doesn't want to sell
>"stained" chopsticks, so in order to find out if the wood is stained,
>Mitsubishi workers (who work for Mitsubishi but are not necessarily
>Japanese) cut down the trees and look at the trunks.  As it happens, 85% are
>stained.  The "stained" trees used to be left behind where they were cut,
>but the B.C. government has since ordered the Mitsubishi company to burn
>them).  Talk to indigenous people in the Bikin region of Siberia, home of
>the last 200 Siberian tigers, where Mitsubishi-owned feller bunchers each
>cut 250 trees PER HOUR using one worker.  Mitsubishi, the great employer.
>The story is repeated in Chile, Bolivia, Brazil, and around the world.
>unfair to competing contractors) under conflict-of-interest laws in a
NUMBER ONE CORPORATE DESTROYER OF
>FORESTS in the world.
>Sincerely,
>David Wolfberg
>L.A. Rainforest Action Project/
>Campaign for a Free Burma

Sir,
 You may be missing the point...........(not a personal attack)..........the
buyer
is never the problem. If Mitsubishi is gone tomorrow ,another will take
it's place. Totally misdirected energy but......personally satisfying.I would
almost...........put money on it that you are under 35 years of age.
Now that Khun Sa has.........retired(?) will this decrease the supply of
heroin? Of course not, if there is a demand it will be filled,irregardless
of who does it. The harder and less gratifying job is to slow the demand.
Save the rainforest............exceptionally cute slogan but it is the
people living IN in the rainforest who are selling it. It is the people
living IN the temperate forest who are selling it. It is totally irrelevant
who is buying it,
except YOU and I, who most probably live in,eat on,sit on and sleep on
tree products. Without OUR demand forests will survive.Villagers throughout
the world are simply trading today for tomorrow.I know the
logging industry well, it is irrelevant to the workers who hands over that
paycheck. The workers in the various worlds , on the ground, realize
what is happening to THEIR back yard.................and have decided so
be it. There is your enemy. Mitsubishi  or any other company is just
taking advantage of OUR shortsighted greed.

But...............ahh, maybe I am wrong.

                                                          Regards.........Mi
ster Ken