Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubish (r)

Subject: Re: Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubishi

>From: "Alex Turner" <alturner@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubishi
>
>> Date:          23 Mar 1996 09:08:59
>> From:          chayco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject:       Re: Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubishi
>> To:            Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>(large sections deleted)
>

>> But...............ahh, maybe I am wrong.

                                  Ken

Mr. Alex Turner

I was under the impression that I was sending a personal message
prior to your intrusion.I and most others subscribing to Burmanet
are interested in what is occuring in Burma, not some misplaced
Yankee zealots bemoaning Japanese culture.We both probably want
to 'Save The Trees' but this forum is not the appropriate place to debate
policy.

But.........................I in NO WAY support Mitsubishi or any company
that I do not have a vested interest in, however your ,excuse me, naive
attitude in
regards to what is happening on the ground in rural Thailand is quite
misleading.By far the majority of Teak(Mai Suk) and Padauk (Mai Pradoo)
that is harvested in Thailand is done by the Thai villagers themselves.
In a village where I am related, three of my three brothers in law are
teak poachers,sixty percent of the village were teak poachers and are
now primarily Padauk(like rosewood) poachers ,due to the teak running out.A
Hmong village near me fall wood for commercial charcoal production, A Lisu
village in the next valley still have teak for sale.This
wood is felled by hand and pit sawn by hand and packed up to 15 km.
on these fellows shoulders.They know what is happening, they see the
teak  disappearing, but there ain't no welfare in Thailand. Unfortunately,
well minded Foreigners don't get to be  'flailing martyrs' by doing
something concrete.

Oh, and by the way that was Khun Sa who offered the deal to the U.S.
Gov. and he wasn't killed,obviously.If you believe that he ever had total
control of the flow of heroin you might be surprised regarding  the
influence of the' Wa Daeng'.

Let's agree to disagree and get back to Burmese News.

                                                    Kind