Burma Library set up in New Delhi

                        BURMA LIBRARY

1. INTRODUCTION
=============

        Books are our friends, philosophers, and guides. They give light
those who are benighted, guide to those who are strayed and cheer to
those who
are unhappy. Books are the source of intellectual light and spiritual
elevation.
Here, we would like to state what Hudson has said. According to Hudson,
they
make us partakers in life larger, richer and more varied than we
ourselves can
ever know of our individual knowledge; and they do this, not only because
they
open up new fields of experience and new lines of thought and
speculation,
because they carry us beyond the pinched and meagre humanity of our every
day round of existence into contact with fresh, strong and magnetic
personality
of the world.
        Books serve not only for delight and ability but also play a
vital role in
revolutionising public opinion and reforming the moral tone of human
society.
It was through books that Hobbes gave impetus to the civil war of 1642
and
Locke to the revolution of 1687. The French revolution was the out come
of the
writing of Voltaire and Rousseau. Life is governed by idea and ideals,
and
books which are the precious life-blood of master spirits are at the back
of all
revolutionary movements.
        It can not be denied that youths are a precious asset of a
country.
Future of a country is determined by the quality of the youths of present
time.
When we closely observe the situation prevailing in our society, we come
to see
that most of the youths in Delhi have an ample of free time, but only few
can
utilise the time beneficially. Some even resort to drug by means of
passing time.
This situation arises due to excessive free time and lack of recreational
facilities. The library is an outcome of our collective effort to ratify
the
situation. Today, there are about sixty people benefiting from the
library. The
library has been receiving acclaim from every quarter.

2. A Brief Account of Burma Library
==========================

        The Burma library was initiated by some enthusiasts. In the
beginning
it could hardly be called a library, for there were a lot of needs to
meet the
standard of a library. Later, other interested parties joined in,
bringing their
books in the library. As they could not appreciate the librarys
condition, they
tried to find out the ways of improving it. Finally, they arrived at the
decision to
invite all the well-wishers and other reading publics to join in the
librarys
activities. Later, a meeting was held in the Janak Puri colony, inviting
all the
people. In the same meeting a library committee composed of the members
of
various organisations and the independents was made. Following persons
were
chosen to the various post accordingly.

1. Nanda Tint Swe                       Librarian
2. Nyi Nyi Htwe                         Assistant Librarian
3. Win Bo                               Treasurer
4. Mr. Ramjeet Verma                    Member
5. U Myint Aung                         Member
6. U Myint Thein                        Member
7. U Yan Naing                          Member
8. U Nyunt Hla                          Member
9. Dr. Zaw Win Aung                     Member
10. Ko Zin Naing                        Member
11. Ko Sitt Nyein Aye                   Member
12. Ko Ye Myint Soe                     Member
13. Ko Kyaw Moe                         Member
14. Ko Tun Tun Win                      Member
15. Ko Hmae Win                         Member
16. Ko Zaw Zaw                          Member

        After the formation of library committee, Several discussion were
held
among committee members, in which policy on different matters were
formulated, aims and objectives of the library was laid down,
extra-activities to
be carried out were decided. So far, the committee have been able to
collect
more than 600 books(both English and Burmese)from various well-wishers.
About sixty reading public have been able to enjoy the benefit of the
library
since its opening day.

3. ACTIVITIES
===========
        It has been decided by the library committee that the library
will also
make literary activities as much as time and fund permit. The committee
have
taken a step by holding a weekly literary talk on every Sunday. Everyone
is free
to participate in the talk. The conversations spoken in the talk were
recorded on
the audio tape and were published into a booklet under the name of FORUM.
So far, five booklets have been published successfully. Following
publishing
committee  was made with the purpose of undertaking the regular publication.

Publishing Committee
----------------------------
Ko Sitt Nyein Aye               In-charge
Ko Nanda Tint Swe               DTP
Ko Aung San Myint               DTP
Ko Hmae Win                     Assistant
Ko Mya Zaw                      Assistant

4. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
=====================

        The committee has laid down following aims and objectives for the
effective operation of the establishment.
1. To cultivate a habit of reading in the Burmese community
2. To promote knowledge and thinking of the people
3. To enable Burmese youths to pursue knowledge in their leisure time
4. To avoid adverse consequences arising out of excessive leisure time of
the
youths.

5. POLICY
========

        Following policies have been formulated by the committee to keep
the
library always on its original track and to make sure of its success.

Policy regarding financial matters
        The library shall not seek any financial assistance from the
organisations until the proposed action is in concrete form. Small
financial
crises of the library must be solved by way of self-reliance methods. The
library
may, during the crisis period, collect monthly fee from its members. But
it must
be kept in mind that the collection of fund should not impose burden on
the
members. Those members who have not received refugee status must be
exempted from the payment of fees.

Policy regarding political matters
        The library shall reject political influence of any particular
party or
organisation. It shall not advocate any particular political or religious
belief.

Policy regarding its activities
------------------------------------
        The library shall carry out other literary activities as much as
time and
fund permit, but it should be subsidiary to the main objectives of the
library.

6. POSITION
===========

        In order to avoid peoples misinterpretation of the position of
the
establishment, the committee has clarified it as follow;
1. The library belongs to all the Burmese community in India. Everyone is
free
to give advice or participate in its activities.
2. The library does not represent any particular party or organisation.
3. The library is operated by the committee composed of the members of
various organisations and the independents. The influence of any
particular
party or organisation or person shall not affect the operation of this
establishment.

        We earnestly request all the well-wishers to extend  co-operation
to the
library by contributing funds or  sending any  publication of your
organisation
to the library regularly. All are requested to make a regular
contribution of
articles or essay for the FORUM, the weekly publication.

Contact Address:

Burma Library
C/o Mr R. J. Verma
87-C, GG-I