REPORT ON COMMUNICATIONS (10/3/96).

/* Written Tue 2 Apr 10:00pm 1996 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Letter from UN Dept. of Political Affairs "----------- */

UNITED NATIONS
NEW YORK N.Y. 10017

Dear Dr. U Ne Oo,

Thank  you  for  your  letter  of 3 January 1996 addressed to Mr. Alvaro de
Soto, Assistant Secretary-General for Political Affairs. We appreciate your
support for UN efforts to help  bring  about  national  reconciliation  and
democracy in Myanmar.

As  you  are well aware, the Secretary-General has been exercising his good
offices functions based on General Assembly resolutions on Myanmar, and  we
are  constantly searching for new ideas and initiatives to help bring about
more dialogue amongst the various parties within Myanmar. We hope that  the
efforts  of  the  United  Nations,  coupled  with efforts by members of the
international community and cooperation by the Government  of  Myanmar  and
the  democratic  forces in Myanmar, would help in the implementation of the
provisions of the General Assembly and Human Rights Commission resolutions.

As to possibilities for UN Peace-keeping, an international arms embargo and
any other Security Council action, it is up to the Security Council members
to decide on those matters.

Yours sincerely,
Sd. Hiroko Miyamura
Associate Political Affairs Officer