REPORT ON COMMUNICATIONS (12/10/95)

/* Written Thu 18 Apr 6:00am 1996 by DRUNOO@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Report on Communications (12/10/95) "--------------- */

LETTER TO U.N. SECURITY COUNCIL (12/10/95)
Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St Marys SA 5042
AUSTRALIA

October 12, 1995.

H.E. Prof. Ibrahim A. Gambari
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary
Permanent Representative of Negeria to the UNited Nations
Permanent Mission of Nigeria to the United Nations
828 Second Avenue, New York, NY 10017
United States of America

Your Excellency

Re: Ceasefire and the INternational Arms Embargo on Burma

I  am  a  Burmese  refugee  presently  residing in Adelaide Australia and I
should like to call the United Nations Security Council's attention to  the
continuing  armed conflicts between Burmese army and ethnic minority rebels
in Burma. I call upon the  Security  Council  to  implement  ceasefire  and
international  arms  embargo on Burma. I also enclosed the petitions by the
people of Adelaide and Sydney to the UN Security Council.

I particularly wish to  call  your  attention  to  the  plight  of  student
political  refugees  who fled to Thailand and India since the time Military
Government of Myanmar came into  power  in  September  1988.  The  military
government's  continuing  mis-rule  upon  the  people  of  Burma is causing
serious social and economic decline for  our  people:  the  UN  Development
Programme reported that the Human Development Index is 0.406 for Burma. The
MIlitary Government of Myanmar refused to honour the result of the election
held  in  27  May  1990.  Following that election, the persecution upon the
ethnic minorities as well as political opposition have forced  more  people
fleeing from our home land.

Today,  Myanmar  is  the  worst  refugee producing country in the region of
South East Asia. The largest contingents of  refugees,  totalling  98  000,
together  with  300,000 displaced people from Burma are currently living in
precarious settings in Thailand. There are also evidences that the  Burmese
Army,  in  pursuit  of  making  attack  on the Karen displaced people, have
violated the Thai territory. Therefore, the refugee problem has been  major
source  of  social and political instability in the region and therefore we
urge the international community to  make  serious  efforts  to  solve  the
underlying problems.

We,  the Burmese refugees, believe that ceasefire by disputing parties that
followed by political settlement will guarantee a  long  lasting  peace  in
Burma.  The  ceasefire between conflicting parties will also make the right
environment for the refugees to repatriate to Burma. Therefore, I call upon
the United Nations Security Council to assist in implementing ceasefire  in
Burma.

Furthermore,  the  Military  Government  of  Myanmar is over-emphasising in
building up of its military machinery and neglecting the  apparent  decline
of  social  service  infrastructure  for the people of Burma. The people of
Burma, especially in rural and ethnic minority areas, are suffering the bad
economic consequences of the  Myanmar  Government's  military  spending.  I
therefore  call  upon  the  UNited  Nations  Security  Council to implement
international arms embargo on Burma. I also appeal the  UNited  Nations  to
set  up the UN weapon inspection team to monitor and control Burmese army's
build-up of military machinery.

Yours respectfully and sincerely
Sd. U Ne Oo.

Copy to:
[1]  Dr  Boutros  Boutros-Ghali,  UN  Secretary-General,  38the  Floor,  UN
Secretariat, New York, NY 10017, USA.

[2]  Ms Sadako Ogata, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Case Postale 2500,
CH - 1211 Geneva 2 Depot, Switzerland.

[3] The Hon. Winston Lord, Assistant  Secretary  of  State,  United  States
Department of State, Washington DC 20520, USA.

[4] Senator the Hon. Gareth Evans, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Parliament
HOuse, Canberra ACT 2600, AUSTRALIA.

[5] Permanent Members of UN Security Council, UNited Nations.

LETTER TO THE SECRETARY OF STATE WARREN CHRISTOPHER (27/11/95)

November 27, 1995.

The Hon. Warren Christopher
The Secretary of State
United States Department of State
United States of America

Dear Secretary

RE: Ceasefires and National Convention in Burma

I  should  like to draw the Hon. Secretary's attention to the political and
military conflicts that are continuing in Burma. In this connection, I have
enclosed my letter to  the  UN  Special  Rapporteur  for  HUman  Rights  in
Myanmar,  Professor  Yozo  Yokota,  requesting  assistance  from the UNited
Nations. I also  enclosed  my  letter  to  the  Assistant  Secretary  on  4
September 1995 concerning with ceasefires and international arms embargo on
Burma.

On  22 November 1995, the National League for Democracy (NLD), which is the
winner of May 1990 election in Burma, has expressed its  concern  that  the
ongoing  National  Convention organised by the Burma's military authorities
will not meet the expectations of the people of  Burma.  Therefore,  it  is
urgent to open dialogue between the National League for Democracy party and
the  military authorities in Burma. I also believe that the United Nations'
assistance in framing a constitution in Burma will create the atmosphere of
trust and confidence  between  those  disputing  parties.  This  will  also
encourage  the  ethnic  minority  rebels that are seeking to form a federal
union of Burma to enter ceasefire with the Burmese military. I  appeal  the
Government  of  United  States to make measures for initiating the dialogue
between the NLD, ethnic minorities and military authorities in Burma.

I particularly appeal the Government of United States to  actively  support
the  initiatives  for  ceasefire  between  the Karen National Union and the
Burmese military. The UNHCR in Thailand have been making efforts to improve
humanitarian situation in that area and there  is  an  urgency  to  promote
ceasefire  between  these  disputing  parties.  I  appeal U.S. Government's
support in taking the necessary and proportionate measures  through  UNited
Nations Security Council regarding this matter.

It  was  reported  that the drug warlord Khun Sa has been stepped down from
his post and therefore it is appropriate to encourage the Burmese  army  to
make ceasefire with those ethnic rebels.

I  also call upon your government's assistant in implementing international
arms embargo on Burma. China, Burma's major arms supplier,  has  reportedly
made  promise  to  refrain  from  selling  arms  to  Burma.  However, it is
important that the United States must take a leading role in promoting  the
U.N.  Security  Council  resolution regarding international arms embargo on
Burma.

Finally, I should like to thank the U.S.Department of States and  the  U.S.
Congress for your continuing efforts in promoting peace in Burma.

Yours respectfully and sincerely
Sd. U Ne Oo

Copy to:
1.  Dr  Boutros  Boutros-Ghali,  The  Secretary General of the U.N., UNited
Nations, New YOrk NY 10017, USA.

2. Senator the  HOn.  Gareth  Evans,  The  MInister  for  Foreign  Affairs,
Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600, AUSTRALIA.

/* Endreport */