Are the K N U Days Numbered ?

What does the writer suggest the KNU do instead of signing a ceasefire
besides economic sabotage?  SLORC currently has close to 100,000 troops
in Karen State.  Failure to sign a "ceasefire" document may lead to
genocidal annhilation.  If any of us were the KNU, would we risk the
genocide of our people if a "ceasefire" were demanded.  Would we be
willing to sacrifice our organization for the survival of the Karen?
I don't pretend to know what the KNU should do in this situation.

The writer has identified serious problems with the KNU. It is dominated
by an undemocratic older elite who are not capable of waging a modern
struggle in this post guerrilla age.  But they may be willing to try.
Look at their willingness to openly discuss the progress of
negotiations with the SLORC.  Have we ever seen any other ethnic
group openly work in this way?

A handful of the older elites do well economically. None of them however
is very rich.  Mahn Shar who is the chief negotiator owns nothing but the
clothes on his back.  His wife and family live in a refugee camp and he
hasn't seen them in one year.  The argument that they would sign the
ceasefire for economic reasons seems stretched particularly since most of
their assets are in Thailand.

The older generation is more likely to sign with SLORC because many grew
up in the Delta and amidst many burmese.  The younger generation of KNU
raised in Kawthoolei tends to be more anti-burman, and hard line nationalist.
Many don't speak Burmese. They are less likely to sign a cease-fire.

Let us not judge the KNU too harshly if they feel compelled to sign a
ceasefire agreement which is tantamount to a surrender.  The KNU may
change or fail, but the aspirations for justice and peace for the Karen
and all the peoples of Burma will remain.

On 16
Apr 1996 an400642@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote: >                         Are the K N U  Days Numbered

Warmly,
Michael
mbeer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx