U.S. Congress: Rep. Rohrabacher's s

Subject: U.S. Congress: Rep. Rohrabacher's statement on Karenni

SUPPORTING THE KARENNI FREEDOM FIGHTERS

               HON. DANA ROHRABACHER
         in the House of Representatives

              WEDNESDAY, MARCH 20, 1996

    Mr. ROHRABACHER. Mr. Speaker, Karenni freedom fighters are in battle today against
the hired thugs of the Burma Army. Heavily outnumbered and outgunned, the Karenni are
fighting to defend their homes along the Thai-Burma border from the inhuman onslaught of
the SLORC regime. The SLORC regime is using air attacks and heavy artillery against the
Karenni, a peace-loving Christian nation, who defend themselves with a few rifles.

     Last year, thousands of SLORC troops attacked the Karen in neighboring territory.
Then, the SLORC used brutal methods to systematically terrorize thousands of innocent
hilltribe families. That tragic scene is now being replayed in the Karenni State.

     Over 6,000 SLORC troops are relentlessly attacking less than 1,000 Karenni farmers,
fisherman, and schoolteachers. These men and women are desperately fighting an honorable
battle to defend their families, heritage, and identity. Although they may think that
they are in the jungle alone, our spirit is with them. The heroes in the wilderness
should know that we condemn the SLORC regime for its brutal aggression, and that we
support their noble struggle for freedom and democracy.

     In the past, the SLORC regime has justified aggression against the Karenni as a
necessary first step before it could control the activities of Khun Sa, the infamous
drug thug. Now, the SLORC regime has allowed Khun Sa to retire in luxury, while the
aggression continues. It shouldn't surprise anyone that the SLORC regime was lying.
Their entire system is based on lies.

     I intend to visit the Karenni during the upcoming Easter break. Until then, I wish
them success against their evil oppressors. Freedom loving people in the United States
are on their side, and we will remember them in our prayers. Because they are striving
for democracy and justice, they should know, that their victory is our victory.

------------end. (fb0496.usc)