Burmanet readers: would a burmanet

Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 16:53:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Burmanet readers: would a burmanet database be of any use?

Dear BurmaNet readers,

  The BurmaNet mailer is at Peacenet in the United States
(igc.apc.org).  The entire archive of BurmaNet postings, going back to
January 1994 is stored on Peacenet's computer (3000+ messages/40MB of
data).
  People with email accounts have access to all the back postings in
chronological order.  For everyone else (which probably includes you),
the mail shows up in your box and you can do with it what you will.

   I've checked with the technical support people at Peacenet about
whether the archive of material can be made searcheable(sp?) via the
Internet.  Their answer is yes (see below).  The catch is that it costs
money to set up the service.

  What I need to know is whether you all would use the database enough
to make it worth doing.  Searches would be free to you all.  BurmaNet
or a donor would have to pay $200-300 for the programming.

   If you think you would use this thing, please let me know.
Non-responses will be considered a no.  If you would like access to a
searchable database, do you have a preference for an interface (WWW,
email, telnet)?

   Take care,

       Strider

**********
Forwarded note from technical support:

Thanks for your note back.  We can probably do this, but we'd have to
spec out the time it would take and how exactly you want this offered.  I
am adding Anthony Whitworth to the loop of this note.  He knows databases
well, and is an IGC staff person up in Alaska.  This would probably take
us a couple of hours, and at $100 per hour, you might run up $200 to $300
in fees to make this happen.  Do you have a clear sense that there
actually is a need/market for this sort of thing?

What we would do is take the contents of REG.BURMA and on a set schedule
we would dump it into a WAIS index that would be searchable to PeaceNet
users.

Anthony, what do you think?

--Michael