Press Briefing by the U.S. Dept. of

Subject: Press Briefing by the U.S. Dept. of State on May 31, 1996

Attn: Burma Newsreaders
Re: Press Briefing by the U.S. Dept. of State on May 31, 1996
-------

                  U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
                    DAILY PRESS BRIEFING
                                                 DPB #86

               FRIDAY, MAY 31, 1996, 2:45 P.M.
                      ------------

     Q     Did you have a conversation with Capitol Hill
about possible sanctions to Myanmar?

       MR. BURNS:  Excuse me?  A conversation with . . . ?

       Q     With Congress -- additional sanctions to Myanmar?

       MR. BURNS:  Congressman Richardson?

       Q     No.  To Congress about additional sanctions of
Myanmar -- Burma?

       MR. BURNS:  On Burma?  Thank you.  We are involved in
conversations with Senator McConnell and Senator Moynihan
and others about sanctions on Burma.

       We retain the option to consider further sanctions
should the situation there warrant it, if we decide that
that is the proper way for us to try to influence the
Burmese authorities.  We would note that they have released
60 of the detainees from last week.  But that means they've
only released a minority of the detainees.  Well over 100
people remain detained -- under detention -- in Rangoon.
There's no reason for that.

       We still maintain our very strong support for the
democracy activists led by Aung San Suu Kyi.

       Q     You don't have an envoy to announce?

       MR. BURNS:  I don't have an envoy to announce, except
to say -- we didn't cover this in the briefing yesterday; we
did after the briefing -- that the United States does intend
to send a envoy to Burma and to neighboring states to press
home our point that we all ought to be concerned and speak
out against the anti-democratic actions of the Burmese
authorities.

       Thank you.

       (Press briefing concluded at 3:22 p.m.)

(###)