Indonesian students demonstrate in

Subject: Indonesian students demonstrate in solidarity with NLD

--=====================_833851232==_

LIVELY STUDENT DEMONSTRATION IN JAKARTA IN
SOLIDARITY WITH BURMESE PRO DEMOCRACY
MOVEMENT

(Originally sent in Bahasa Indonesia)

PIJAR Jakarta Demands the Release of Myanmar's Pro
Democracy Activists

Jakarta, KdP.

The arrests of more than 200 Pro Democracy activists by the
Military Regime of Myanmar have initiated a solidarity action
of youngsters and students in Jakarta.

Carrying the flag of PIJAR Jakarta about 50 youngsters and
students came to the Embassy of Myanmar on Jl. H. Agus
Salim, Jakarta, last Thursday morning (30/5).  Lead by Bahar,
a student at IISIP Jakarta, they waved posters and banners
saying "Myanmar, Democracy Right Now", "Fear is a Habit,
We're not Afraid (restating the saying of Aung San Suu Kyi,
Myanmar's Pro- Democracy headliner, achiever of the Nobel
Prize of freedom)" and "Military Regime, Go To Hell".

Bahar said that their appearance was based on solidarity as both
countries, Indonesia and Myanmar, have a similar political
problems.  "What happened in Myanmar is very possible to be
repeated in Indonesia.  That's why we should back up each
other as we have the similar experience," he said
enthusiastically.

On their statement, PIJAR Jakarta stated that the arrest of the
pro democracy activist have "once more proved that a
government held by military regime is basically anti democracy
and against the principal human rights."

Furthermore, they also demanded for the release of the pro
democracy activists in Myanmar, the dismissal of the military
regime, the determination of people's rights and the validation
of the 1990 election which was won by the National League for
Democracy (NLD)

Not one person from the embassy accepted the delegation that
afternoon, though the activists attempted to enter the embassy.
After an hour of action, they left the place together, while
keeping the yells of solidarity for the activists of Myanmar.