Burmese Bungling.

(1)			Burmese Bungling
			****************

	Remember the saying about the execution of the Ducd'Enghiem, that
it was worse than a crime, it was a blunder? That's how we feel about
Burma's State Law and Order Restoration, which as we go to press has
detained 262 members of the opposition National League for Democracy in
an effort, ultimately futile, to prevent the latter fro holding a
convention. Led by Nobel layreate Aung San Suu kyi, the convention was
designed to mark the sixth anniversary of elections in which Miss Suu
Kyi's followers captured 82% of the vote but were prevented from forming
a government.

	When it comes to trade we part company with Miss Suu Kyi call
foreign investors to forsake Burma until it has a functioning democracy;
along with Burma's immediate neighbours in Southeast Asia, we believe
that Burmese hopes for liberty have a far greater chance of taking root
where there is economic engagement and not isolation. That said, however,
if SLORC really wants the investment will be increasing world scrutiny.

sanctions from the West, Brig.-Gen. Win Tin, minister for finance and
revenue, restored to bravado, noting that Burma has been isolated "since
1988 and we have grown with our resources." True enough.

	Obviously, however, there were problems with that isolation or
else the SLORC would not have moved to open its economy and link up with
its ASEAN neighbours. Miss Suu Kyi has long demonstrated that she is
willing to pay the price for her principles, she will likely succeed in
making SLORC pay the price for theirs.

[Editorial, Far Eastern Economic Review, 6 June 96].

(2)	"If they were confident in their own position, a meeting of two
	 or three hundred people would not worry them"

	 Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, on the ruling junta's
	 rounding up of dozens of her supporters just before a National League
	 for Democracy meeting.

	 [In Other Words, Far Eastern Economic Review, 6 June 96].