Open letter to Lee

	Open letter to former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew

	We are the Burmese students who fled to the Thai-Burmese border
after the 1988 bloody military coup staged by the State Law and Order
Restoration Council (SLORC). We managed to escape the brutal suppression
of the pro-democracy activists, but hundreds of thousands of our
colleagues have been killed, tortured, and many of them are being held
behind bars for their calls for democracy and human rights in their
motherland. We, the undersigned students, are committed to work for the
restoration of democracy and human rights in Burma.

	We deeply deplore your recent comment on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
1990 Nobel Peace Prize laureate of Burma.  SLORC has ignored the result of
the 1990 election where NLD won 85 % of the seats and has continuously
cracked down on the opposition. SLORC has been condemned by the United
Nations and international community for its human rights violations and
its failure to transfer power to the people-elected representatives.
However, most Asian countries, especially ASEAN-member countries, are
trading and continuing economic relations with SLORC claiming
"Constructive Engagement" is the best policy for democratization in Burma.
At the same time, these countries including Singapore are turning blind
eyes to the human rights abuses in Burma perpetrated by the ruling
military junta and the lack of rule of law in the country. The recent
crackdown on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her election winning NLD party
clearly expresses that constructive engagement has moved neither Burma nor
SLORC towards democratization.  A few Asian countries expressed their
concern about the SLORC's suppression of the democratic forces while
others ignored the political suppression inside Burma as "internal
affairs."  It is a preposterous contradiction for you to say that Daw Aung
San Suu Kyi may not be able to govern her country and would be better off
remaining a political symbol while your government is saying they do not
want to interfere in Burma's internal affairs.

	Since her almost six years under house arrest, Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi has called for dialogue in order to solve the political problems in
Burma. Her repeated calls for dialogue have been ignored by the SLORC.
Moreover, SLORC has openly threatened to ban the NLD if they continue
democratic activities. We strongly denounce the SLORC's refusal to engage
in dialogue, the best way to solve the political dilemma in Burma.  We
express our complete support for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her calls for
dialogue.

	We have been urging the international community to pressure for
the accomplishment of dialogue between Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and SLORC.
While we believe in the people's power inside Burma, we also understand
that international pressure could push the SLORC to the political
roundtable. Instead of putting pressure on the SLORC, most ASEAN countries
including Singapore are dealing with SLORC and enjoying the economic
privilege under the name of "Constructive Engagement." Moreover, your
recent comment on Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, our leader of the democratic
movement against the military dictatorship, is deplorable. The support for
her by the people was clearly expressed in the 1990 election and is
evident now in the increasingly growing gatherings in front of her
residence as an act of defiance by the people against the military's
unlawful laws and orders.
	We would like to ask you to look at Burma's situation as the
struggle between the ruling military regime (SLORC) and democracy-loving
Burmese people led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.  Suggesting that Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi, who is recognized as the leader of the democratic struggle in
Burma, should remain only a political symbol is an insult to the will of
the whole Burmese people. We are also wondering if your statement was made
in order to defend your so-called "Asian Value"  that promotes male
chauvinism and seniority.

	We would like to ask you in regard to your recent comment on Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi to recognize the crucial importance of her active
participation in politics and to make a public apology for your previous
comment.  Also we would li you to "interfere"  in the situation of Burma
by pressuring SLORC to begin genuine political dialogue with Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi immediately.  This would be genuine constructive engagement for
the Burmese people.  Finally we would like you to advocate that your
government stop foreign investment in Burma and its alleged secret arms
sales to SLORC.

	Sincerely yours,

	undersigned by
	Overseas National Students Organization of Burma
	Burmese Students Association (Safe Area)
	All Burma Students' Democratic Front
	All Burma Basic Education Students Union (Thailand)
	Federation Trade Union  of Burma.

Date: June 11, 1996