Burma Bill (H2833) on Governor Weld

Subject: Burma Bill (H2833) on Governor Weld's Desk, June 13

BURMA BILL (H2833) WILL BE GOVERNOR'S WELD'S DESK, JUNE 13

June 12

Of note in this update:

1. The bill will reach Governor Weld's desk on Thursday, June 13
2. New fax # for the Governor
3. I will be on vacation, June 17-June 22

Ten Days and Counting Down...

Just as Rep. Byron Rushing predicted, the Burma bill (H2833) will indeed
land on Governor Weld's desk on Thursday, June 13.

The Boston Herald ran a rather dumb lead editorial describing the Burma bill
as a "feel-good symbolic gesture" that is "a distraction from the state's
real business."  At the Thursday Massachusetts Burma Roundtable, I will have
a draft letter of response to the Herald that people can sign on to.

Watch out for stories tomorrow (June 13) by the Boston Globe AND the Boston
Herald focusing on the Burma bill's impact on the upcoming US Senate race
between Governor Weld and Senator John Kerry.

CONTINUE TO FAX AND CALL GOVERNOR WELD (NOTE NEW FAX NUMBER!)

Please continue to fax and call Governor Weld. If you fax a letter, please
send a fax to me at the number below.

CALL DAILY !

I am also asking all Burma activists to MAKE ONE PHONE CALL PER DAY to
Governor Weld's office to ask if the Governor has taken a position on the
Burma bill (H2833).

Helpful hint for callers...

When you call, say that you have a specific question for one of Governor
Weld'd policy aides. This should help you get past the intern answering the
phone and reach a real person.

Governor William Weld
State House
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Boston, MA 02133-1053

(617) 727-3600 phone
(617) 727-9731 NEW working fax number
(617) 727-9725 old soon to be repaired fax number

Please fax me a copy of your letters. If he people at Governor Weld's office
do tell you the Governor's position on H2833, call me straight away at the
number below.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR LETTERS REACH THE GOVERNOR BY JUNE 14 !!

VACATION PLANS

I will be on vacation and essentially unreachable the week of June 17-22.
(I'll be in Provincetown with my wife celebrating my 11th anniversary.)

For the week of June 11-22, your contact for questions about the Burma bill is:

Julia Carpenter
Issues Director
Citizens for Participation in Political Action (CPPAX)
25 West Street, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 426 3040
(617) 338 3075 fax
cppax@xxxxxxx

CPPAX is a multi-issue progressive lobbying group based in Massachusetts.
CPPAX has provided many useful contacts at the State House and been an
organizational backbone of the campaign. If do you call CPPAX, feel free to
ask about taking out membership...

Simon Billenness
Franklin Research & Development
(617) 423 6655
(800) 482 6179
(617) 482 6179 fax
simon_billenness@xxxxxxxxxxxx

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP !   VICTORY IS IN OUR SIGHTS: DON'T GIVE UP NOW !

BACKGROUND ON THE MASSACHUSETTS BURMA BILL

Timeline

Following the June 5 passage of the H2833 in the Massachusetts, the bill
should reach Governor Weld's desk by Thursday, June 13. The Governor may
well be back from vacation on Monday, June 17.

When the bill reaches the Governor's desk, he has ten days to take one of
four actions:

1.  Sign the bill
2.  Take no action and let the bill become law automatically
3.  Veto the bill
4.  Veto the bill but send back to the Massachusetts legislature an amended
version of the bill

We are not sure whether we have the two-thirds majority in both the House
and Senate to override a veto.

Background

Sponsored by state Rep. Byron Rushing, H2833 would effectively bar the
state's purchasing managers from buying goods or services from any company
doing business in Burma. The bill would put billions of dollars of state
purchasing power behind all of the boycotts of companies doing business in
Burma.

Impact

If signed by the Governor, H2833 would be the FIRST state-wide Burma law and
the LARGEST in terms of purchasing power. This will be the most significant
Burma selective purchasing law passed this year.