Daw Suu's 8 Jun Public Address

We have received the following "rough translation" of Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi's public address in front of her residence
on June 8, 1996.  The address was the first since SLORC had
asked that public gatherings at her home be banned.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's Public Address
(rough translation)
June 8, 1996

(In the period before the speech began, someone repeatedly
came on the public address system asking the crowd to follow
traffic regulations, cross at the zebra stripes, etc.  He
said, As on every weekend, let's be disciplined; we expect
you to help us by being disciplined. The crowd responded with
applause.)

The first thing I must talk about is last night's
announcement, published in today's newspaper.  We will let
you know about the NLD's position regarding the announcement
once we have made a decision.  We haven't come to a
conclusion as yet.  As you know, the National league for
Democracy is a democratic organization.  we first hold
discussions, so I'm not in a position to say what our stance
will be.

But there are some things we have to mention.  For example,
the law says they will not accept any criticism that might
affect the peace and stability of the nation.  As for us, we
have never spoken against the (four points mentioned in the
decree).  Everyone knows this.	We have never spoken against
those four points and never will.  We always talk about the
rule of law and try to persuade the authorities to do what is
necessary to bring about the rule of law.   We have never
said anything that would have a negative effect on the rule
of law.  We always speak about how important the law is in a
country and in society.  We repeatedly say that the law must
be equal for all.  That comment addresses the rule of law.
If we talk about the rule of law, we are also promoting peace
and stability in a community because, without the rule of
law, there can be neither.  That's why we consider whatever
we say regarding the rule of law as also touching on the
peace and stability of the community.  Only when there are
the rule of law and peace and stability in the community will
there be a stable nation.  All of these are interrelated.  We
are holding these people's fora for the sake of these things
(applause).

Our conscience is clear.  We always tell our audience to be
disciplined, to maintain order.  Why do we do that?  Because
we want peace in the nation, and only if each and every
individual is disciplined will there be peace and stability
in the nation.  Only when there is true rule of law will
there be a peaceful nation (applause).  If they really desire
the nation's stability then we consider them our friends, for
we don't consider anyone our enemy.  I can assure you that
slogans directed against community peace will never emanate
from this audience (applause)

We gather here because we all want democracy.  When we say we
want democracy, we are not referring simply to a goal we want
to reach.  It  is in fact a means through which we can bring
about prosperity for our country.  That's why we want
democracy for our country. That's why we long for it and
appeal for it.  To further the peace and prosperity of the
country is the responsibility of the people in this country
(applause).   May I state this clearly: I want  be the kind
of citizens who know their responsibilities.  The citizens of
this country must first of all know their responsibilities
and then carry them out dutifully.  Only such citizens can
build a democratic country.  I truly believe this.

But there are some who don't believe in their countrymen and
women (applause) and doubt whether the people can carry out
their responsibilities.   There are people both in Burma and
abroad who doubt whether the Burmese are fit for democracy.
Both domestically and abroad.  But we believe the people have
the ability.  If people work in the proper way, they will
reach their goal (applause).  I have been working with this
conviction in mind.  We had to travel a long path in our
independence struggle too.  For everyone who participated in
the independence movement, they know what it is to travel the
long and rough road.  I have repeatedly said, you cannot
obtain something previous easily.  That is why we are
prepared to struggle for something previous.  This is not
something we can say once for all time, because we have to
try over and over again.

That's why courage and perseverance go hand in hand.  There
are times when you have to be brave only once and other times
when you have to be brave over and over again.  To be brave
repeatedly means perseverance.  I spoke in the past about
courage, courage to begin something, courage to build up
one's abilities, the courage, when you encounter obstacles
to overcome those obstacles, and finally the courage to
continue on until you reach your goal (applause).

When the people gather here on account of some particular
development, I believe they want to hear about whatever
special factor draws them here.  That is only natural.  That
is why I am talking about our program for democracy.  But
some people misinterpret us.  Our democratic cause is not
designed to attack anybody.  But no matter how much we say
this, they don't believe us.  But we have to repeat this, so
that the people and the international community will come to
understand our goal and methods.  For example  if foreign
journalists come here four or five times a day and keep
asking the same questions, and the same person is answering
it becomes a bit monotonous.   But it still has to be done
because this is our responsibility.  People need to explain
their actions.  This is democracy.  Any democratic
organization cannot just do things arbitrarily.  They have to
explain their actions (applause).  That is also why we so
frequently explain things to the people. For the regulars
here this may also be a bit monotonous, but we have to do
this for the sake of the non-regulars.  It is analogous to my
answering the journalists.

The other reason for repeating our message is that we must
not lose sight of our goals.  It is necessary that we repeat
over and over our goals and our intentions.  For people
hearing this repeatedly, I believe they will be patient, for
I believe in the political maturity and open-mindedness of
the people.  Last week I also said that, if some of our
actions are not altogether clear, people will be
understanding about what we are having to go through, the
struggles we have to face.  It is because we believe in the
people that we are working toward a system that respects the
will of the  people.  If we did not have faith in the people
we wouldn't be working toward a system that respects the will
of the people (applause).

When I say that to believe in the people I mean that they
have the ability to decide what is best for the country and
that they have the ability to work toward what is best for
the country (applause). I want you to understand how heavy
the people's responsibility is. Don't be discouraged by this
responsibility.  Don't be discouraged that some people who
want to take up that responsibility don't get the chance.
Whenever you get the chance, take it up as a privilege
(applause).  I want people to understand that, the greater
the people" responsibility, the greater it is a test of the
people's ability (applause)   That is why it is incumbent on
me repeatedly to urge you to work toward a system that
reflects the will of the people (applause).

As for the NLD, also we have to repeatedly examine ourselves
to make sure we are an organization that can carry out the
will of the people.  We cannot think that whatever we do will
succeed just through a one-shot meeting.  We have to gauge
the situation every day and consider what is the best thing
to do and decide as a group what we will do.  We work on the
basis of consensus in making our decision.  That has been our
practice since the founding of the NLD and it will continue
to be so (applause).  In the NLD there is no single person
wielding the authority.  Some people approach me using me to
do things, but I have to tell them that what they ask has to
be to be put up to the executive committee, that I can't
decide thing. alone.  If they are making a worthwhile
proposal I put it up to the executive committee, and if it is
accepted by the majority, it can be implemented.  If it is
not a good proposal, I don't present it to the executive at
is our common practice.  In making our  consensus decisions,
we have the people first and foremost in mind.    What is
best for the majority, what is the will of the majority --
our decisions must be in line with the will of the people and
contribute to the welfare of the nation. That is how we make
our decisions.  I'm saying this because I want people to know
how the NLD makes its decisions.

In any country, it is not always easy for change to take
place.  For example, it is fairly easy in stable democratic
countries because in those countries it is easier to arrive
at a popular consensus.  In countries where democracy is not
developed, we need to put in a greater effort.  But having to
persevere and make that effort, I believe, will be of benefit
to the country in the long-run (applause).  People who have
walked the hard, long, rough road -- their feet become
hardened and strong.  Similarly, I believe our people, who
have to face yet more struggles, will become people who
understand their responsibility and are able to carry it out
more effectively (applause).

Last week  I mentioned that we were criticized for speaking
ill of the Government, so I invited the audience to write in
with whatever good points they could think of that the SLORC
has done.  People were very obliging, as they always are,
regarding my request.  So this week, someone from Yankin
wrote in with some positive points. In fact, he's included
both good and bad points, but for now I'll just read out the
positive points because that's what I asked for.

That they held the 1990 elections is a good point.  The open-
market economy is also very good.  To build bridges, roads,
and pagodas is also good (I'll leave it at that for now on
that point).  To say they will all work together toward
democracy is also very good. Another person wrote about what
he considers the best thing the SLORC has done for the
country: to have released Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Ba Ba U Tin
Oo, and  Ba Ba U Kyi  Maung and other political prisoners
(applause).

I don't want to go back on my word, as some other people do.
That's why I'm reading only the good points, like I promised
to do last week.  We agree with many of the points given
here.  One is the 1990 elections, which we support and see as
a positive act.  Why do we say it's good -- because the
elections were, first of all, free and fair; and secondly,
because they gave the people the opportunity to show how much
they supported democracy and the NLD (applause).

The second point is that the open market system is good.  We
have no reason to reject the open market system.  The NLD
came up with a party constitution written in l988, and we
also announced the NLD's stance in 1990, just before the
election.  In both instances we mentioned the economic policy
we had laid out.  We said we wanted an open market economy,
that we support it and would put it into practice.  We also
indicated we would encourage tourism in a way that would
benefit the country and that we would invite foreign
investment.  So the open market system is in line with NLD
policy. That's why we agree this is a positive point.

The next point concerns the construction of bridges, roads,
and pagodas.  We can't deny that building these is good.  We
never said it wasn't, but we did indicate that the
authorities should consider how these construction projects
are carried out (applause).

On the point about them saying they would all work together
toward establishing a democratic country, of course we
support that wholeheartedly.  That is what we're doing now;
those who are gathered here now are those who want to work
toward democracy (applause).  The NLD was formed with the
goal of building a democratic country.  I want to ask the
people whether the NLD has ever done anything that is not in
line with democracy (audience: "no, no").  We've never done
anything that does not support progress toward democracy.  We
may have made mistakes and we may have weaknesses, but we
have always worked toward democracy.  The NLD was founded for
that purpose and all our organizing work has been done for
that purpose.

In 1988 and in 1989 before my house arrest, I went around
campaigning.	I never urged the people to vote for me and
the NLD (applause). This was because the NLD's goal was not
to win an election and gain power (applause).  Our
fundamental goal was to make headway toward achieving
democracy.  That is why in our campaigning we worked to
explain what democracy is.  Within the NLD we also insisted
that, if we wanted a democratic country, we had to practice
democracy among ourselves.  We pointed out what democratic
methods are, and we looked to see to what extent the people
understood democracy.  For we believed we could only achieve
democracy to the extent the people understood it.  This would
also determine whether it would or not be a stable democracy.
We were aiming at the people's, political maturity because
the country's progress depended on that (applause).  We
talked about what we considered was important by way of
political psychology.  We never asked people to vote for the
NLD.

But later, in 1990, NLD decided to enter the elections, for
certain reasons, as I've mentioned many times.  If we were in
favor of democracy, then at one time or another there would
have to be elections because in a democracy the government is
formed through elected representatives.  That's why the NLD
decided to participate in the elections.  After our decision,
we campaigned for votes in exercise of our democratic rights.
We did not resort to underhanded or improper methods
(applause).  Since we had decided to enter the elections and
campaign. we had to explain why we wanted the people's votes.
When we explained this, we never spoke ill of other parties
in order to entice people to vote for us (applause).  In our
campaign, we explained our policies and promised that we
would work in line with those policies.  Because those
policies were constructive ones for the country, we asked the
people to vote for us.  We were very clear and forthright.
The people for their part were also straightforward.  That's
why they voted for us (applause).

Our work for democracy has not come to an end.  We came to
believe even toward the end of the election campaign that
there would be more struggle ahead, and today we're still
struggling.  This is our responsibility because it is the
promise we made to the people.  We promised we would struggle
until we achieved democracy.  And we cannot break our promise
(applause).  The promise given by the NLD includes everyone
in the NLD (applause).  That is why I want to urge all NLD
members not to forget that promise.  I want you to remember
that all of you who joined the NLD have given your promise to
struggle until Burma becomes a democratic country.  Even
though you may have resigned from the NLD, your promise
remains intact (applause).  A promise given will always
endure.  Whether you keep it or not is the question, but the
promise cannot be withdrawn (applause).   That is why we
won't withdraw our promise and instead renew our pledge to
keep our word (applause).

Going back to the positive points, someone mentioned the
release of Ba Ba U Tin Oo, Ba Ba U Kyi Maung, me, and other
political prisoners as the best thing the SLORC has done
(applause).  We agree with that because having political
prisoners is not good for the country. That is why we support
the release of political prisoners.  I say this not because I
have been released.   It is neither because Ba Ba U Kyi Maung
and Ba Ba U Tin Oo have been released either.  It is not
because we have achieved individual freedom but when a
country does not have any political prisoners it brings
dignity to the country.  That's why I support the release of
political prisoners (applause).  To speak for our individual
release -- what pleases us most about our release is that we
can carry on the work that must be done.  It is not because
we have gained individual freedom but because we can work
hard for the NLD.  There are many people who want to serve
their country.  If this   is true we want to give them a
chance to work for their country.  If they really want to
work for the country, they should have the right to do So.
And for those who lack the ability, they should  have a
chance to learn and gain experience.  That is why we say that
everyone should have the right to work for their country.
Yes, they should have the right (applause).

Someone once commented that I was prejudiced because I always
claimed that I would stand on the side of the people.  So I
answered, how could I be prejudiced; isn't it true that I
should be on the side of the people?  Then the question
raised was, what if  the people are wrong?  Then I thought it
over and said, If the people are wrong, I will try to correct
them with love (applause) - There is only the way of love to
correct the people of our country. Only through love can we
truly correct the people and will there be any true progress
in  a country I can say without fear that this is the only
way (applause).  This is a Buddhist country and Buddhism
values love and believes in love.  That is why I believe that
people can be changed through true love (applause).  If we
cannot change the citizens of this  country it only means
that we lack sufficient love (applause).

That's why I do not make any claim that the NLD is perfect.
And I don't attempt to say so either, for the people know the
real score. The NLD is always trying to improve.  And in the
attempt, because not all people are monks, we don't expect
them to succeed 100% when it comes to "love." We have not
reached that stage and that is why the NLD's work has not
reached a perfect stage.  But we will continue to work hard,
However, I can say that we will always try to improve
ourselves  on the basis of love so that the NLD and the
people who support us will be able to work harder for the
country and to work effectively for the country (applause).
That is why I support the release of political prisoners.
Any act whatsoever to break the bondage either of an
individual or of a number of people is an act based on love.
So the suggestion that releasing political prisoners is the
best  thing the SLORC has done is correct.  Whether it is the
best or not, some may differ, depending on their perspective.
For some, holding the election would be considered the best
action. What I  have mentioned above are the good works of
the SLORC.

When we do anything  we need to have a constructive and
positive attitude. Because we undertake tasks with the aim of
being constructive, we need  to be more conscientious.  We
must all understand that it is  much more difficult to build
than to destroy (applause).  We must understand this.  It
takes a long time to build a house, but it does not take time
to bring it down.  A crane can do the job in a short time.
That is why it is much more difficult to construct than
destroy.  But constructive work brings much more satisfaction
compared to any form of destruction.  Your conscience is
clear, you have deep satisfaction.  This brings you courage
to face life.  That is why, if we are really engaged in
constructive work, I can say that our strength for such work
will increase day after day (applause).   We all know that
our political path is not a bed of roses.  And since it is
not a path of flowers, people who pity me keep giving me
flower as presents.  May I express my thanks at this point
for the flowers.  I have not mentioned that each week, not
because I have forgotten, but because I did not want to focus
on the gifts.  But even though it is not a bed of roses, we
can be content if it is a path we choose.  But if we have to
walk the road laid down by others, we often forget to notice
it even if it is good, simply because it was laid down for us
 . But if it is the path we choose ourselves, we can remember
how we worked hard to build the path and appreciate the
hardships we had to go through.  That is why, please don't be
discouraged if you have decided to choose your own path -
because of the hardships you have to race.  I want you to
remember how highly privileged you are simply to have had the
chance to choose the path that you prefer (applause).

There are many indications that our country has potential for
progress.  This country can set forth goals towards progress
and development.  And the most important element is the
citizens of this country.  We have the strength, courage and
hard work of our citizens-  That is why I have said many
times that the most precious natural resource in our country
is the people of the country (applause).  We must learn to
respect every individual.  We must be able to acknowledge and
respect everyone as important nationals of this country.  For
some countries, when one of their citizens faces any
difficulty in another country, they can approach their
embassy. Sometimes, when their citizens are the cause of the
problems they do not like it because it blemishes their
country's dignity.  Even then, they help their citizens to
the best of their ability, with a sense of responsibility
towards their own countrymen.  That is why we must always
keep in mind that every individual in this country is an
important countryman and woman.  We must not see our people
as anonymous or as a faceless crowd (clap).

When we gather here, while Ba Ba U Kyi Maung and Ba Ba U Tin
Oo speak, I try my best to remember the faces in the crowd.
I don't want to acknowledge you simply as part of a crowd but
want to recognize and value you as your very individual
selves.  I want to acknowledge that each and every one of you
who has gathered here is an individual human being and
important in your own right.  But I must admit that I can't
recognize those on the other side of the road.  I am quite
familiar with the faces close by and sometimes worry if I
don't see the familiar faces.  Sometimes I ask around to
learn that someone has been away for their daughter's wedding
or some other reason.  We do this because the NLD values
every individual.  Even if we don't get the name I want to
know the face.  If I don't recognize the face I want to have
a notion of the person.  I want to see each one of you as our
co-workers and our supporters.  Never doubt that we realize
you are supporting our movement.  Even if we don't get to
know each one of you individually, I want you to know that we
feel the power of your love every day (applause).

There is but little time to talk about Nelson Mandela but I
want to give you more on the topic.

Mandela and his colleagues were accused for the second time
of high treason and more found guilty at the trial.  Once
they were given life sentences they became known
internationally.  Before these leaders were sentenced the
world did not know much about them but there were two reasons
why they became well known:  the world came to realize that
there were numerous Black leaders as such who had been
detained for their political activities; and those who were
not detained continued to carry out the task of those who
were in prison  with strength and fervor.  This brought the
world to have compassion and respect for the struggles of the
people of South Africa.

The Black leaders of South Africa together were sentenced to
27 years in prison.  But the aim of those who were detained
and of those who ware left behind became to grow in strength
daily.  Those who were left behind practiced through their
continuing activities and those detained practiced their
strength while being detained. Now there are many ways to
exercise one's political strength.

Some believe that engaging in political activities alone is
to 	practice political strength. But to prepare oneself
mentally is also a practice, because the mind is the most
important. That is why I say that we don't believe in violent
conflict but in a contest of minds (applause).  sometimes we
have to change the way we think. There are times when there
can be no success unless one's mentality can be changed.  For
instance, let us say that the NLD formed a democratic
government tomorrow.  Unless we have transformed the way we
think in the necessary way, we will not be able to claim that
we have had success in anything (applause).  One's attitude
is what is more important.  Power is not the primary factor,
but it is one's way of thinking that is important (applause).
That is why we repeatedly say that we want the support of the
people that comes out of love rather than authority or power
(applause).

In South Africa, the struggle took many years.  When one is
considered less than human because of the color of one's
skin, to change such prejudice and such thinking could not
have been an easy task.  How could the revolution have been
easy when you are taken as sub-human for the color of your
skin?  How could it have been easy to make them change their
attitude and see that blacks were just as human and that they
had abilities and skills that sometimes surpassed those of
the whites (applause).  Blacks in South Africa showed their
ability through the strength that enabled them to bear those
sufferings.  This made the world respect the South Africans.
The world became concerned about their sufferings, their
struggles, their pain and courage.  This is how the whole
world began to become aware of South African's struggles.
This made the love and compassion of the world increase for
the Blacks of South Africa. They gained the attention of the
world not only because of the efforts of the Black leaders
but also because of the efforts of the ordinary citizens.

Initially the world simply respected and empathized with the
movement and struggles of the South African people.  But in
1990 Nelson Mandela was released and, as things progressed,
the world began to respect the white government which at one
time had said that Black are not human beings.  The world
respected the White government for its wisdom and strength in
working hand in hand with Black South Africans (applause).
As for the white government, under apartheid, society was
segregated between black and white.  Schools, buses,
restaurants and living quarters were all segregated.  But the
irony is that whites hired Blacks to do their household work
(applause).  That's why some Black activists commented that
it was rather surprising that the whites would make the
Blacks look after their children, cook their food, prepare
their table, clean their table, wash their clothes, and yet
keep saying that Blacks were different (applause).  That's
how they contradicted themselves: their actions and their
words did not tally.  They kept saying Blacks and whites are
different and they wanted to keep the segregated and yet they
accepted all the services of Blacks.  That is why,	when
they announced that they would give up this shameful system,
a system which lacked credibility, all those who were
critical of the apartheid system were utterly surprised and
began to feel respect for the white government (applause).

Actually, Mandela and his colleagues at one time believed
that the apartheid system could be dismantled only through
violence.  There were those who agreed and planned to carry
out an armed revolution. But when the white government began
to change its attitude, Blacks willingly accepted that armed
struggle was unnecessary and were open-minded enough to
accept working together with whites.  They were able to show
how open-minded they were.  For example, President Mandela
went out or his way to invite one of the wardens who took
care of him while in prison to his inauguration.  The warden
was invited because he treated Mandela humanely while in
prison and considered him a friend (applause).  This man even
wrote a book, "My prisoner - My Friend"!

This proves that everyone can become friends when friendship
is based on truth and the right attitude.  But friendship
cannot be founded on devious attitudes (applause).  Of course
there can be false friendships, but true friendship can only
be built on truth. That's why we want to be true friends of
the people -- we don't want to be false friends (applause).
That is why we will relate to the people only with attitudes
based on truth.  We cannot deceive the people.  If we deceive
them, they might become our friends but only false ones.
After all, what can we expect if we ourselves have been
untrue friends (applause).  That is why we do not and cannot
organize the people by giving them the false promise that we
will fulfill all their wishes.  These are acts of false
friends, and we will not do that (applause).

What we want to say is that we will do our best.  We will do
our best to make this country into one that reflects the will
of the people.  We will work hard, we will do our best.  But
the people must also participate.  I say this over and over
again (applause). We don't want to hear comments suggesting
the NLD said it would get democracy for us and yet it has not
done anything.  Don't say that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi said she
would work for democracy and yet has done nothing for us.
Because we never say we will work to achieve democracy by
ourselves.  Neither I nor the NLD promised this.  What we did
say is that we will try our best and that, with the
participation of the people, we will surely achieve democracy

Let me state clearly that I cannot suggest we will achieve
democracy without the participation of the people.
Sometimes when you come to us, you may not hear what you want
to hear.  You won't hear us saying that you will get
democracy easily.  You will not hear from us that it will be
an easy task.  We will not say it now, nor will we say it
after democracy is achieved.  We will repeat how difficult
the struggle will be even once we have democracy.  I don't
keep repeating this to discourage you, but once we have
democracy we know how difficult it will be (applause). That
is why democracy is not a goal in itself -- it is a kind of
moving target.  Even once	democracy is achieved we will have
to continue our struggle to preserve it.  But if we all work
together, the struggle will be worthwhile and we will be able
to enjoy the outcome.

As I mentioned earlier, if it is the path we choose
ourselves, our efforts at working together will be valuable.
There may be some who have to support us from the roadside,
but this is also a form of participation.  But don't just be
an onlooker when you can be a participant (applause).  Don't
pretend that you cannot help build a road by putting on a
false sling, but know thyself. Even if others don't know, you
will know in your heart and you will not be happy (applause).
You know yourself what you are capable of, so don't try to
deceive yourself.  People who don't practice self-deception
can mend their ways   As human beings we always have
weaknesses and mistakes that need to be overcome.  They
cannot be overcome through self-deception.  That is why I
want to urge you not to deceive yourselves.  We will all work
together to achieve democracy.

Let me wish you the best with the pledge that we will never
break the promises we have given to you.