BurmaNet News FBC Update

-------------------------- BurmaNet -------------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: June 27, 1996
Issue #454  SPECIAL ISSUE - FBC UPDATE 6/10-6/26

BurmaNet would like to thank Aaron Stark for putting
together twice monthly updates on the Free Burma Campaign.

Note from Aaron: The Selective Purchasing campaign has now gone
beyond liberal cities to include the state of Massachusetts.   On June 12th,
the Massachusetts State Senate enacted the Burma Selective Purchasing
Bill, H2833. H2833 would effectively bar the state's purchasing managers
from buying goods or services from any company doing business in Burma.
The bill was signed by Governor Weld on June 25, 1996 and puts billions of
dollars of state purchasing power behind all of the boycotts of companies
doing business in Burma.

The Free Burma Coalition ended their relay fast on June 19, in conjunction
with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's birthday.  News of the hunger strike was
broadcast into Burma over VOA and gave much needed moral support to
those who are living in fear under the military regime.  Pro-democracy groups
around the world, including the FBC, celebrated Daw Suu's birthday by holding
rallies, parties, and ceremonies.

HEADLINES
==========
FBC UPDATE
END OF FREE BURMA RELAY FAST
DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI'S BIRTHDAY
RELIEF WORK ON BURMA BORDER
BURMA SANCTIONS - SELECTIVE PURCHASING
COLUMBIA SPORTSWEAR BOYCOTT TIMELINE
FREE BURMA ACTION
"TOTAL DENIAL" REPORT ON YADANA PIPELINE ONLINE
FREE BURMA IN THE MEDIA

FBC UPDATE
<zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

1) It was brought to our attention that in the most recent issue of New
Internationalist magazine (John Pilger who directed a new documentary on
Burma called "Inside Burma: Land of Fear" is the editor for this issue),
Pepsico is listed as one of the corporations that withdrew from Burma.

For those of you who have recently joined our movement, Pepsico has not
withdrawn from Burma. Due to mounting pressure on U.S. campuses against
their complicity in human rights violations and political oppression in
Burma under Slorc, Pepsico made this cynical move announcing its
"withdrawal" in an international press conference.

THE PEPSI BOYCOTT IS STILL ON!!!!!!!

Here are the reasons that the Free Burma Coalition did not call off the
boycott when Pepsico announced that it was selling its 40% equity interest
to local contractor U Thein Htun, and that it had no employees in Rangoon
where their bottling plant is:

1) Pepsico continues to sell cola ingredients to U Thein Tun;
2) Pepsico still has allowed the use of Pepsi logo in U Thein Tun's Pepsi
bottling;
3) Pepsico is believed to buy farm products that are made from slave and
child forced labor.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi herself has made specific comments on Pepsi's sham
withdrawal on KPFA radio in the San Francisco Bay Area. In addition,
Pepsico's current business partner U Thein Tun recently led a
Slorc-orchestrated mass rally of businessmen and -women, slandering Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi and her call for divestment and corporate withdrawal from
Burma.

There are so far three universities (i.e., Harvard, Stanford, and Colgate)
that under pressure from Free Burma activists and concerned citizens in the
US decided to dump Pepsico from the list of their business partners. The
official letter from Free Burma Coalition where our coalition's position is
clearly enunciated can be found on the FBC webpage:
http://danenet.wicip.org/fbc/freeburma.html

Or simply use http://freeburma.org and then access to FBC activism webpage.
There is a black and white picture of a Burmese boy wearing a torn and
tattered T-shirt with the Pepsi logo on it on our webpage. Please feel free
to use that striking image of what has become of "the Choice of a New
Genocide" for any purpose (posters, postcards, flyers, etc.).

NOTE from BurmaNet Editor: Thein Tun, Pepsi's local partner, is also
involved in a joint venture agreement with Carlsburg beer.  Presently,
Carlsburg is being imported from Malaysia, but Thein Tun is building a
bottling factory outside Rangoon for local production.  The foundation
has been laid, and the plant will employ over 100 workers.

2) Mr. Dennis Robert, attorney-at-law and president of the Peace and
Justice group in Dallas is inviting any Dallas area activists and concerned
citizens to join the Free Burma campaign in Dallas.

3) The Lolapolooza summer concert is going to be begin in about a week. This
year, the concert will be held in 29 different cities in US and Canada. The
organizers of the concert has agreed to have Free Burma info booths and
play PSA tape during the concerts. Also there will be highly creative
interactive games on such issues as human rights, AIDS awareness,
environmental destruction, and voter registration. FBC has organizers in
all but one location. We need to have someone from our coalition to take
charge of the Free Burma info booth at the concert in Des Moines, Iowa.
Please contact zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you live in the vicinity or are
willing to drive a couple of hours to do this important educational work.
We will post the concert schedule very soon.

4) Last but not least, a major goal of the US Free Burma campaign is to
push for the enactment of the Burma Freedom and Democracy Act of 1995
(Senate version S1511 and House version HR 2894). This requires tremendous
grassroots support. If we can organize statewide, grassroots lobbying
campaigns in support of the Bill during the remaining days of the summer,
we can hope to accomplish this rather significant political goal before
November. Elections being around the corner, we should make the best use of
elections timing by trying to make the endorsement of the Burma Freedom and
Democracy Act both local and national election issue. Any questions on the
status of the bill, please contact the National Coalition Government of the
Union of Burma Information. Dr. Sein Win, a cousin of Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi heads the exiled government.

******************************

END OF FREE BURMA RELAY FAST

On July 19 participants in the Relay Fast for a Free Burma officially ended
their largely symbolic fast. The fast was begun on April 22 throughout the
U.S. The end of the fast was intended to coincide with the ceremony which
is being held in Dirksen Senate Office Building today. Our
spiders held out even under not so favorable weather conditions, sharing
space with the houseless in Lafayette Park in front of the White House in
Washington DC.

About 70 Burmese and American students from the following universities and
high schools expressed their outrage against the recent crackdown against
democracy-supporters in Burma by staging the relay fast:

East High (Madison, WI)		Indiana University at Bloomington
Johns Hopkins University		Montgomery College
Northwestern University		Ohio State University
Pace University			Santa Monica College
Stanford University		UCLA
University of Wisconsin		West High (Madison, WI)
West Los Angeles College

Importantly, pro-democracy Burmese activists from Mon, Chin, Arakan, and
Shan showed their solidarity with the people of Burma who continue to suffer
at the hands of the SLORC. The fast was covered by the print and broadcast media
including the Washington Times, Pacifica News Network, National Public Radio, the
Voice of America, BBC, and Oslo-based Democratic Voice of Burma.

FBC has been informed about how moved the freedom-loving people inside
Burma were by the fasters and their willingness to sacrifice food for
others' freedom. When one lives in the teeth of ruthless and seemingly
uncompromising power, news of solidarity and moral support gives the
oppressed an uplifting and renewed energy. Our fellow democracy activists
in other parts of the world, particularly Thailand and India, have
expressed their deep appreciation for the fast action as well.

Senator Mitch McConnell issued a statement in support of the fasters while
the Washington-based National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma
lent both moral and material support throughout the fast. To our American
spiders, the FBC wishes to express our profound gratitude for this highest
act of solidarity with our fellow people in Burma's hour of need.

Our heartfelt thanks are due to:

Student Environmental Action at Stanford (SEA)
Student Environmental Action Coalition
UCLA Environmental Coalition
UCLA Amnesty International
Forest Action Network
Westerville Social Action
Asia Pacific Forum for Peace and Justice Senator McConnell's Office
NCGUB
Taiwan Democratic Progressive Party (Washington Mission)

**************************************

DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI'S BIRTHDAY

CELEBRATION IN WASINGTON D.C.

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's Birthday was celebrated at the Dirksen Senate Office
Building in Washington D.C. on June 19.

Congressman Dana Rohrabacher, wife of Congressman Tom Lantos,
representatives from Amnesty International, Refugees International, Forum
of Democratic Leaders - Asia Pacific, SEAC and Free Burma Coalition,
Democratic Burmese Students Organization, Foundation for Democratic Burma,
Committee for Restoration of Democracy in Burma, Chin National Council and
United Front for Democracy and Human Rights in Burma, and others addressed
the commemorative event.

Greetings from Australian senators and representatives was also announced
at the event. Prime Minister Dr. Sein Win thanked all those Friends of Burma who have
embraced the cause of restoring democracy in Burma as their own. He noted
that the democracy movement in Burma will prevail because it was the
aspiration of the people in Burma and  because it was supported by friends
of Burma all over the world.

DAW SUU'S BIRTHDAY AT WARREN WILSON COLLEGE, NC

Warren Wilson College celebrated the birthday of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi on
June 19th. A gingerbread cake was baked by the Vegetarian/Vegan summer
food co-op for this special event. We gathered to sing "happy birthday" and
light candles to wish her and the pro-democracy movement well wishes on
this special day.
---------------------------------------

BURMA RELIEF CENTER-JAPAN RELEASES FISH FOR DASSK'S BIRTHDAY

On the occasion of the fifty-first birthday of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, we
held a ceremony of releasing fish and turtles. A vegetarian pot-luck picnic
followed the ceremony.

In performing this meritorious act, we wish good health and long life to
Aung San Suu Kyi. We pray for her continued freedom, for the release of all
political prisoners in Burma, and for the release of all beings from suffering.

ENGLAND FREE BURMA ACTION ON DASSK'S BIRTHDAY
>From Yvette Mahon-Burma Action Group
<BAGP@xxxxxxxxxx>

On the occasion of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's birthday this letter of protest
was delivered to the Embassy by Derek Fatchett MP, U Uttara and Yvette
Mahon of the Burma Action group.

H.E. The Ambassador U Hla Maung Burmese Embassy, 19a Charles Street, London
W1X 8ER

19/6/96
Dear Ambassador U Hla Maung,

We the undersigned are deeply concerned that over seventy supporters of the
National League for Democracy are still being held in detention by the
authorities in Burma, and that some have been charged and may be tried
secretly. They include Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's aide U Win Htein.

We condemn attempts by the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC)
to restrict the fundamental rights of the citizens of Burma to freedom of
association and expression, in particular through the issuing of an order
on 7 June 1996, which allows for up to twenty years imprisonment for anyone
making verbal criticism of the SLORC's political strategy.

We urge the authorities to immediately and unconditionally release all
political prisoners, and to repeal this new law as a matter of urgency. We
believe that the only path to peace in Burma is through dialogue, and we
call on the State Law and Order Restoration Council to initiate immediate
and meaningful talks with Burma's political and ethnic opposition. In so
doing, we support the statements already issued by the governments of the
United Kingdom, Germany, France, the United States and Australia deploring
the current deteriorating state of events within Burma.

Yours sincerely,

Derek Fatchett MP (Shadow Foreign Affairs Minister) Archbishop
Desmond Tutu (Nobel Laureate) Mairead Maguire (Nobel Laureate)
U Uttara (Buddhist Monk and political exile from Burma) Yvette Mahon
(Burma Action Group)
and  almost every Burmese pro-democracy activist in New
Delhi enthusiastically participated in the function.

        The function was inaugurated by U Maw Thi Ri, a
renowned pro-democracy Burmese expatriate and was presided
over by Dr. Tint Swe, the Minister for the Prime Minister
Office of NCGUB. The inaugural speech was delivered by Dr. Tint Swe.
In the first section, birthday felicitations were cited.

        In the second section, "Interview with Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi" was personified by Ma Thin Thin Aung as Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi and Ko Nanda as Mr. Chapman. Another
item was a free discussion on "the present political situation in
Burma and the role of Overseas Burmese pro-democracy activists."

        In the third section, a comedy drama highlighting the
miserable lives of Burmese people under the rule of the SLORC
military regime. Afterwards, poetry and songs in honour of
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi were presented by Burmese children.

        In conclusion, the following resolutions were
unanimously passed by participants.
 1) We are fully confident in the leadership and guidance of Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi in the struggle for the restoration of Democracy
and human rights in Burma.
 2) We fully support the NLD's plan of drawing up a new
constitution for democratic Burma.
 3) We strongly condemn the SLORC's sham National
Convention and its denial to accept the result of SLORC's
so-called National Convention.
 4) We strongly condemned the recent unlawful crackdown of
the SLORC upon NLD MPs and pro-democracy activists, and
strongly demand the immediate and unconditional release of
those who are arrested.
 5) We strongly condemned the forced public rallies by SLORC

The function was concluded with chanting slogans at 4:00 p.m.

********************************

RELIEF WORK ON BURMA BORDER

        Since 1988, Burmese Relief Center -- Japan has served as a liaison
between the people on the border and their supporters around the world.
You, too, can help build democracy in very direct and tangible ways by
helping BRC-J help the talented and hard-working
student-refugees on Burma's borders.
        Specifically, we are seeking (1) people to collect needed items and
(2) people to bring these donated items (or their own medical or
educational training) into Thailand. People who collect or donate items are
asked to package them, then notify BRC-J about the size and contents of the
package. BRC-J then finds a volunteer to carry the package into Thailand,
where that volunteer either mails or hand-delivers it to the intended
destination or to a go-between in Thailand. (This system is intended to protect
the identities of both givers and receivers.)
Interested? Then please fill out the form below and reply to:
Cameron Beatty <cameron.beatty@xxxxxxxx> (for those in North America)
Burmese Relief Center -- Japan <brelief@xxxxxxx> (all others)
Burmese Refugee Project
<gsveticic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (medical volunteers)

Please visit the Burmese Refugee Project Homepage at:
www.kiss.uni-lj.si/sou/mp/slomsic/burma/burma.html

Thanks for your interest! Thanks for your help!
I want to help by: (Check as many as apply.)

<Medical>
( ) donating medical supplies
( ) collecting eyeglasses
( ) carrying medical supplies or eyeglasses to Thailand
( ) volunteering my skills as a doctor, nurse, dentist, or other medical
personnel on the border
( ) fund raising for medical programs on the border

<Educational>
( ) collecting books and school supplies
( ) carrying books and school supplies to Thailand
( ) volunteering as a teacher
( ) fund raising for schools on the border

<Other>
( ) general fund raising
( ) selling refugee handicrafts
( ) collecting clothes
( ) carrying clothes to Thailand

**********************************

BURMA SANCTIONS

OREGON SENATOR LEANS FOR SANCTIONS

Finally, some success in the Oregon congressional campaign! Senator Wyden's
office has said they would probably support the S. 1511 bill in votes, but
they opposed the idea of co-sponsoring. They seemed to consider it a great
moral difference between the two things.

In conversation, the obstacle was the "failure" of sanctions in other
cases. Again I think we need to emphasize the "South Africaness" of Burma,
or more accurately, it's not an internal-politics motivation that drives US
sanctions but the situation on the ground in Burma, and that same factor
pushes other countries to follow the US lead.

Another Burma Action Committee member called Representatives Furse and DeFazio
--they're still studying the issue, they said. They're good targets for lobbying.

FINAL VERSION OF BURMA FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY ACT

Senator McConnell (R-KY) inlcuded this language in the Foreign Aid Bill on
June 18. Senator McConnell decided to include the mandatory sanctions from
his Bill, S1511, which he introduced on December 29, 1995. The language
will go to the full Appropriations Committee. Now is the time to contact
all Senate members urging them to vote in favor of the mandatory sanctions
as listed below:

SECTION 569 OF THE FOREIGN AID BILL

 .. LIMITATION ON FUNDS FOR BURMA
        Sec. 569. Until such time as the President determines and certifies
to the Committees on Appropriations that an elected government of Burma has
been allowed to take office, the following sanctions shall be imposed on
Burma:
        (1) No national of the United States shall make any investment in Burma;
        (2) United States assistance to Burma is prohibited;
        (3) The Secretary of the Treasury shall instruct the United States
executive director of each international financial institution to vote
against any loan or other utilization of the funds of the respective bank
to or for Burma; and
        (4) Except as required by Treaty obligations, any Burmese national
who formulates, implements, or benefits from policies which hinder the
transition of Burma to a democratic country shall be ineligible to receive
a visa and shall be exclude from admission to the United States.
        SPECIAL DEBT RELIEF FOR THE POOREST
        SEC. 570. (a) AUTHORITY TO REDUCE DEBT. --- The President may
reduce amounts owed to the United States (or any agency of the United
States) by an eligible country as a result of ---

---------

Here is the portion dealing with Assistance to Burma
        BURMA
        Of the funds appropriated by this Act to carry out the Provisions
of chapter 8 of part I and chapter 4 of part II of the Foreign Assistance
Act of 1961, not less than $2,500,000 shall be made available to support
activities in Burma, along the Burma-Thailand border, and for activities of
Burmese student groups and other organizations located outside Burma, for
the purposes of fostering democracy in Burma, supporting the provision of
medical supplies and other humanitarian assistance to Burmese located in
Burma or displaced Burmese along the borders, and for other purposes:
Provided, that of this amount, not less than $200,000 shall be made
available to support newspapers, publications, and other media activities
promoting democracy inside Burma: Provided further, that funds made
available under this heading may be made available not withstanding any
other provision of law: Provided further, that provision of such funds
shall be made available subject to the regular notification procedures of
the Committees on Appropriations.
---------------------------------------

NEW BURMA LEGISLATION BY REPRESENTATIVE DANA ROHRABACHER

FILE hc188.ih
HCON 188 IH
104th CONGRESS
2d Session
H. CON. RES. 188
Expressing the sense of the Congress with respect to increasing political
oppression in Burma.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
June 13, 1996

Mr. ROHRABACHER submitted the following concurrent resolution;
which was referred to the Committee on International Relations

CONCURRENT RESOLUTION

Expressing the sense of the Congress with respect to increasing political
oppression in Burma.
Whereas since 1962 Burma has been ruled by a military dictatorship;
Whereas as part of a crackdown against the Burmese pro-democracy movement,
the State Law and Order Restoration Council (hereafter in this resolution
referred to as `SLORC') was established by the military dictatorship in
1988;
Whereas on May 27, 1990, the people of Burma voted overwhelmingly in a free
election for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the National League for Democracy
(hereafter in this resolution referred to as `NLD');
Whereas despite numerous pledges, the SLORC has failed to honor the results
of the 1990 elections;
Whereas the United States has not sent an ambassador to Rangoon in protest
of the failure of the SLORC to honor the 1990 elections and the continued
human rights abuses suffered by the Burmese people;
Whereas in response to the massacre of thousands of Burmese participating
in peaceful democratic demonstrations, the Congress adopted a provision as
part of the Customs and Trade Act of 1990 requiring the President to impose
appropriate economic sanctions on Burma;
Whereas currently the United States has suspended economic aid to Burma,
placed an embargo on arms sales, denied Burma benefits under the
Generalized System of Preferences (GSP), and decertified Burma as a
narcotics cooperating country;
Whereas the Foreign Relations Authorization Act, Fiscal Years 1994 and 1995
(Public Law 103-236), approved April 30, 1994, placed Burma on the list of
international `outlaw' states that includes Libya, North Korea, and Iraq
and which is set forth in section 307(a) of the Foreign Assistance Act of
1961 (22 U.S.C. 2227(a)), thus mandating that voluntary United States
funding for any United Nations agency will be automatically reduced if the
agency conducts programs in Burma;
Whereas on July 15, 1994, the Senate adopted Senate Resolution 234 calling
on the executive branch to encourage members of the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to work with the United States to achieve
the transfer of power to the winners of Burma's 1990 democratic election;
Whereas on July 25, 1994, the House of Representatives adopted House
Resolution 471, which urged the Burmese regime to transfer power to
democratically elected leaders of Burma and to respect human rights;
Whereas on June 28, 1995, the House of Representatives agreed to an
amendment to H.R. 1868, which prohibited funds for international narcotics
control or crop substitution assistance for the Burmese regime;
Whereas in early 1995 the SLORC conducted a military campaign against
ethnic minorities, many of whom are Christian, along the border between
Burma and Thailand, including the headquarters of the Democratic Alliance
of Burma at Mannerplaw;
Whereas on July 10, 1995, after six years of unlawful detention, the SLORC
released Nobel Peace Prize winner Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the leader of the
NLD;
Whereas since the release of Aung San Suu Kyi, the SLORC has rejected her
efforts to establish a timetable for dialogue and national reconciliation
and has denied the NLD a meaningful role in a credible political process;
Whereas the 1995 Human Rights Watch World Report states that Muslims in the
Arakan State, a province of Burma, are subject to forced relocations,
forced labor, and religious persecution;
Whereas on December 19, 1995, the House of Representatives adopted House
Resolution 274, which calls on the Burmese regime to begin a political
dialogue with democratically elected leaders of Burma, release political
prisoners, guarantee respect for basic human rights, and restore civilian
and democratic rule to the people of Burma;
Whereas Aung San Suu Kyi has called for a halt to private foreign
investment until progress towards democracy begins in Burma;
Whereas various United States cities have passed resolutions condemning
United States private investment in Burma;
Whereas protests on university campuses against United States policy in
Burma are growing in frequency;
Whereas the SLORC regime has purchased $2,000,000,000 in weapons over the
last 3 years from the People's Republic of China and other countries;
Whereas on June 7, 1996, SLORC passed Law 5/96, which outlawed the drawing
up, writing, or distribution of the state constitution of Burma without
legal authorization;
Whereas penalties for writing a constitution involve a minimum of 3 years
and a maximum of 20 years in prison, in addition to unspecified fines;
Whereas during the period of May 26th-29th, 1996, 258 delegates to a
conference on democracy in Rangoon were arrested and jailed;
Whereas of the 258 delegates arrested, 238 were elected in 1990 as members
of the parliament;
Whereas the Report of the Special Representative of the United Nations,
published in March, 1996, indicated that forced labor, forced porterage,
torture, and arbitrary killing are still widespread in Burma;
Whereas SLORC has refused to file any charges against Khun Sa, the world's
most notorious heroin trafficker, and rejected requests by the United
States to have him extradited to the United States;
Whereas the Karenni and the Karen, ethnic groups in Burma, are strong
supporters of democracy and the United States;
hereas thousands of innocent Karenni civilians have been killed by
unprovoked attacks by SLORC troops in the Karenni state;
Whereas the Karen ethnic group faces constant attacks by SLORC troops,
resulting in many deaths and destruction of villages; and
Whereas in the near future, Aung San Suu Kyi and members of the democratic
movement in Burma may begin to write a legitimate state constitution for
the people of Burma: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That if
the SLORC regime arrests Aung San Suu Kyi, otherwise limits her freedom, or
exiles her--
(1) the Congress will adopt legislation to prohibit future investment in
Burma; and
(2) the United States should use all means necessary to bring Khun Sa to
trial in the United States.

AP: MASS. BANS TRADE WITH BURMA
June 26, 1996

BOSTON (AP) - Massachusetts has become the first state to  prohibit its
bureaucracy from buying goods or services from  companies doing
business in Burma.

Gov. William Weld signed the ban into law Tuesday. The largely  symbolic
act is designed to spotlight oppression in the Asian  nation, which is run by
a military junta widely criticized for human  rights violations.

"We are well aware that one law passed by one state will not end  the
suffering and oppression for the people of Burma," Weld said.   "But it is
my hope that other states and the Congress in  Washington will follow our
example and make a stand for the cause of  freedom and democracy around
the world."

The ban applies to all companies that do business with the  government of
Burma or business within the country's borders, which  supporters say
include such giants as Apple Computer and Pepsi Cola.

********************************

COLUMBIA SPORTSWEAR BOYCOTT TIMELINE

Boycott on a disk: Burma Action Committee (BAC) has documented as much of
the Columbia Sportswear boycott as possible on a disk, as an example of a
successful boycott. The disk includes 90% of anything BAC wrote on the
boycott, and about 50% of anything anyone else put on the Net about Columbia.
It also includes some Columbia Sportswear documents on its operations and some
publications on the issue. It begins with a timeline and an evaluation of the boycott by Brian
Schmidt of BAC. In MS-DOS format. It's not professionally designed, but could be
useful for other boycotts. It costs $3.50 in the US and $4.50 anywhere else
Here is the disk's boycott timeline:

Columbia Sportswear Boycott Timeline

September 1995
BAC contacted by Larry Dohrs of Seattle, saying he was told by someone else
that a Burma label was found on a Colombia Sportswear (CS) item. Larry had
not seen it himself.

October 1995
BAC contacted CS 5 times and spoke to 3 people, including their buyer. CS
said they were "95% sure" they didn't source in Burma and promised to call
if they found that they did. BAC casually check CS labels and assume CS is
not in Burma.

November 1995
Near the end of Nov. BAC finds a Burma label on CS jacket. BAC sends
ultimatum to CS- commit to withdrawal from Burma or face a boycott on Dec.
15, 10 days before Christmas. BAC believes CS is only major US manufacturer
in Burma.

December
BAC contacts CS by phone, receives no answer to its letter, just a
statement that the issue is under investigation. CS even refuses to admit
that it produces in Burma.
BAC does first CS demonstration at an Recreation Equipment Inc. (REI) store
in Portland. Security guards warn demonstrators off premises. Negotiations
begin with REI management in Seattle.
BAC publicizes boycott on Internet, begins networking with other groups.

January 1996
Jan. 9: CS statement admits being in Burma, says its code of conduct is met
there, says it has employees monitoring conditions and plans to remain in
Burma.
CS boycott begins in earnest Jan. 15. Demonstration at CS outlet in
Portland, other demonstrations planned in other cities. Some happened, some
didn't because of confusion regarding what REI was hinting regarding CS.
Alternative media show some interest in story.

Jan. 18: Far Eastern Economic Review article demonstrates military
ownership of UMEH. CS admits in phone call to BAC that UMEH is part owner
of its contractor.
BAC sends appeal on internet for info on Segye, the CS contractor in Burma
and gets sources who worked within Burma and are familiar with the plant.
BAC makes first contact with CS regarding ownership issue. Info to BAC
about other US companies manufacturing small amounts in Burma. BAC modifies
claim on this issue.

February
BAC sends document to CS alleging violations of its code of conduct and
military ownership of its contractor. CS responds that it is investigating,
BAC deems it unsatisfactory and goes public, making military ownership the
central issue.
Mainstream media interested in story. Seattle papers and radio carry story,
newswire pushes, Thai paper carries it, Washington Post mentions it, NY
Times hints at it. The Oregonian refuses to publish story or letter to the
editor criticizing non-coverage, saying it hoped to cover the story as part
of a larger one sometime in the future.
Groups in LA, NY, IL, CA get involved and have demonstrations. BAC
demonstrates every weekend at CS outlet or retailers selling CS items,
sometimes more than one store at a time. Demonstration at corporate HQ.
Signs of dissension within CS. BAC and other groups begin contacting
retailers of CS items.
        REI announces it will not sell CS items made in Burma. BAC and
others continue asking REI to discontinue all sales of CS. BAC in regular
contact with CS reporting boycott publicity. Several long discussions over
Burma issue, CS saying responsibility lies with US govt. CS privately
disputes some statements by BAC but does not go public. CS president
reiterates intention to stay in Burma.

March
Demonstrations continue nationwide. Some activity in Canada and France. BAC
goes public with code of conduct violations. BAC receives photos of human
rights abuses by military from Karen Human Rights Group, forwards to CS
with plan to publicize.
A Portland retailer says he will stop all CS purchases, backs down to
stopping all Burma CS purchases.
        IL activists pressure REI. Seattle activists and a Portland
activist attend REI board meeting, get the board to reopen issue of
discontinuing CS sales. 2 days after REI meeting, BAC makes routine contact
with CS and is told they are pulling out.

March-April
Some media coverage of CS pullout, with good coverage by the Oregonian. BAC
attempts to use coverage to push sanctions bill in Congress, with some
success, but not much. BAC continues to encourage other groups to
investigate Osh-Kosh and Nautica, rumored to be in Burma.

May
IL and WI activists investigate Osh-Kosh. For 3 weeks OK denies being in
Burma but will not put denial in writing. Finally OK issues statement
saying it discovered it did have some clothing manufactured in Burma at the
Segye plant and would discontinue manufacture.

Present (June 1996)
BAC plans to send thank-you letters to other companies, an implicit warning
to stay out of Burma. To BAC knowledge, no one is investigating Nautica

*************************

FREE BURMA ACTION

NEW YORK CITY

On June 10, New Yorkers ,the Burmese students and the American human rights
activists gathered at the UN Park in New York City and staged
demonstrations against the Burmese military regime.The demonstrators were holding
up signposts that clearly stated the nature of the Burmese government ,why they
were demonstrating against the Burmese government and how the United Nations
could help to free Burma. The demonstrators passed out Burma Information
leaflets to passersby. Some demonstrators asked the passersby to sign a petition to
support the Selective Purchasing Bill pending in the New York City Council .

According to the demonstrators ,the demonstration would be held before the
City Hall on June 12, 13, and 14 in order to pressure the City Council to
pass the pending bill.
----------------------------

WARREN WILSON COLLEGE, NC

I will be meeting with the President of Warren Wilson College to discuss
the college's affiliation with Pepsi. There are other adminstrators since I
last sent news who are willing to join in on this hunger strike. I am
hoping to advertize the entire Free Burma campaign in my discussion with
the college president. Also one of the student coordinators, Matt Tate, was
recently elected to the Student Caucus as a Vice -President. The other
officer is also a member of the group and most of the Student Caucus member
regulary attend our group meetings. I will be a member of the Staff Forum
here at the college. So we are gearing up for some broad and extensive Free
Burma action here at Warren Wilson College. We are hoping to eventually
push a resolution through by New Years.
        We are also planning to hold a teach-in about human rights and
labour on Labour Day.
---------------------------------

SOUTH AFRICA

We are a small group of South Africans who are mindful of the value of
international solidarity in our own struggle against against national
oppression. Believing that no individual in our global community is free so
long as oppression lingers anywhere, we have launched a Free Burma Campaign
to contribute in whatever way we can to the restoration of democracy in
Burma.

The campaign was launched on the campus of the University of
Durban-Westville on 19 June at 11.00. This took the form of a table and
banners located outside the student centre which disseminated pamphlets,
answered questions and invited participation in the campaign. We have
written to both President Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu
seeking their support in this regard. (Bishop Tutu wrote a foreward in Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi's book.) We plan also to have a showing of "Beyond
Rangoon" in order that it may contribute to raising the consciousness of
South Africans as regards authoritarian rule in Burma.

We are very hopeful that this movement will gather momentum in the days
and weeks ahead. The list of supporters signing up to join our "convening
committee" is growing.
We have acquired a prominent noticehead in front of the student union to
which we will attach pictures and news briefs on a daily basis. We are also
keen on linking up with fraternal organistions such as Amnesty International.
The highlight of the day was being interviewed by Kyaw Zantha of the BBC's
Burmese Service.

***************************

"TOTAL DENIAL" REPORT ON YADANA PIPELINE ONLINE

I am currently inputting "Total Denial," the report by the Southeast Asian
Information Network and EarthRights International on the Yadana pipeline
project, and putting it online. The URL is
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~msimons/total.html; anyone with a more central
place to put it should feel free to copy it.

****************************

FREE BURMA IN THE MEDIA

PILGER FILM ON BBC
>From Yvette Mahon <BAGP@xxxxxxxxxx>

Just to let you know that John Pilger's film "Inside Burma:Land of Fear"
will be shown on BBC World TV twice, first on the 18th July and again on
the 25th July. His separate interview with ASSK will go out on the 25th
July and on the 4th August.
------------------------

"BEYOND RANGOON" IN THAILAND

Beyond Rangoon is being shown at seven theaters in Bangkok after long
debate between the Thai authorities and Thai theater contractors. While
Burma is getting attraction as a tourist destination for Thai citizens
because of the three popular Thai TV drama series, we are using "Beyond
Rangoon" as a tool among the Thai movie-goers. Thai students will
distribute the leaflets starting June 19 at the two major cinema
halls asking the Thai audiences to boycott "Visit Myanmar Year" and to support
the struggle for democracy in Burma led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.
--------------------------

BURMA ON FRENCH PRIME TIME NEWS

Paris - TF1, the top French television station, tonight continued its
reporting on the saga of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the democratic NLD. In an
unusally long reportage from Rangoon,French national attention was once again
riveted on Nobel Peace Prize laureate Mme. Suu Kyi, with live footage of her
meeting in front of her home on University Avenue in a crowd estimated at
10 000 supporters chanting democratic slogans as the people continue to defy
the military dictatorship.

Mme. Suu Kyi was interviewed in front of names of 121 political prisoners
of the NLD arrested during the crackdown last month by the regime that
denied the NLD their victory in the 1990 national elections. The reportage
quoted Mme. Suu Kyi saying she was " convinced of the justice of our force
" against the military dictatorship, and added that she would lead the NLD
and the people of Burma in her struggle " to the end ".

Yet, while French national television has stepped up its coverage of the
current Burmese crisis, it continues a virtual black-out of state-owned
TOTAL's connection in the billion dollar Yadana pipeline energy project,
unanimously denounced by the United Nationas and human rights groups the
world over for its use of forced labor and otherwise considered as French
support for the repressive military regime.