Free Burma Campaign (South Africa)

Today's launch of the Free Burma Campaign on the campus of the University
of Durban-Westville was no spectacular affair.  Few , it appeared, had
heard about the struggles in Burma or for that matter were able to place
it on a map.  Nonetheless, more people know the name of Aung San Suu Kyi
today than was the case yesterday and there is a growing appreciation of
the oppression that ordinary Burmese citizens experience. We are very
hopeful that this movement that we have begun will gather momentum in the
days and weeks ahead.  The list of supporters signing up to join our
"convening committee" is growing.  We have acquired a prominent
noticehead in front of the student union to which we will attach pictures
and news briefs on a daily basis.  We are also keen on linking up with
fraternal organistions such as Amnesty International.  The highlight of
the day was being interviewed by Kyaw Zantha of the BBC's Burmese Service
which I expect will be broadcast this evening.

Our appreciation goes out to all those individuals and organisations from
around the world who have sent and are continuing to send messages of
support and campaign materials to assist in our common cause.

Our cherished hope is that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's next birthday will be
in a liberated Burma

Regards

Kiru Naidoo
Convenor:  Free Burma Campaign (South Africa)
c/o  Dept. of Political Science
University of Durban-Westville
Private Bag X54001
4000 Durban
South Africa
Tel: 27 31 8202124
     27 31 5781724
Fax: 27 31 8202340

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
                                      Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jnr
       A FREE SOUTH AFRICA IN STRUGGLE FOR A FREE BURMA