SLORC: Articles from Burmese langua

Subject: SLORC: Articles from Burmese language Press

/* Written  8:03 AM  Jul 10, 1996 by strider in igc:soc.cult.burma */
/* ---------- "SLORC: Articles from Burmese langua" ---------- */

Translated excerpt of Article by Phone Gyi Lay (Dagon Taung): "Aung San
Suu Kyi or the One Who Has Been Expelled and Excluded From the Myanmar
Political Arena for Violating Parajikall" in Burmese government-run
daily,  MYANMAR ALIN,  in Burmese,  July 1, 1996, p. 4

Begin text:

Monks who are members of a religious order, and people who study Lord
Buddha's disciples will be able to guess the title of this article when
they read it.  I mean the deep meaning of the word, Parajika [training
precepts].
I am not a layman but a monk who is a member of the Buddhist Order.  This
is why, I have used the Pali word, Parajika, that I understand.  Lord
Buddha commanded the disciplines, and the training precepts for monks.
There are 227 different training precepts in the abbreviated version,
while there are more than 90 billion in the expanded version.  There are
four training precepts which are very important for Buddhist monks
because they can end the livelihood and existence of Buddhist monks.
Every Buddhist monk understands these training precepts as Parajika, and
qives special importance to their observance.  The violation of Parajika
will bring about the expelling of a monk from the religious order, and
excluding him from the good Buddhist monks and from performing all
incumbent duties [if he engages in sexual activity, steals, kills a human
being, and pretends and declares to have supernatural power.] [passage
omitted on violation of four Parajika, and the difference in the
lifestyles of Buddhist monks and laymen]
Now you understand that as one's life improves, one must also improve
one's restraints.  Now let's look at the life of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and
how she has been excluded from the Myanmar [Burmese] political arena.
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is not an ordinary person and she is not the
daughter of a tricycle [tricycle is used as a taxi in Burma] driver.
Actually, she is the daughter of General Aung San, a national leader
respected by all Myanmar nationals, who sacrificed his life for
independence, and who is the jewel of all Myanmar nationals.
So she is different from the daughter of a tricycle driver.  This
difference means there is a gap.  Therefore, they have a different
lifestyle and status.  When there is a difference we have to consider the
restraints.  As one's life improves one must also improve his or her
restraints.  Otherwise it will go against nature.  If one goes against
nature then nature will mete out punishment on that person.
It is nothing for a fishmonger to yell and use abusive terms, but if a
school teacher, who teaches disciplines to her students, acts like a
fishmonger then the people will dispraise and frown upon her.  It is
because they have a different lifestyle and status.  People in a higher
status need a higher level of restraints.  People in a higher status also
need a higher level of national spirit which is in accordance with their
status.  While having a strong and growing national spirit one must avoid
things that should be avoided, retain what should be retained, restrain
what should be restrained, and follow what should be followed.  How much
did Daw Aung San Suu Kyi restrain from and follow things that are
supposed to be restrained and followed?
Actually, she is extremely serendipitous.  It is not ordinary karma to be
the daughter of Gen.  Aung San, a national leader.  The karma of other
Myanmar women will never be able to reach hers.  This karma has
beautified her existence, upgraded her status, and made her popular as
the daughter of a great leader.  Because she is the daughter of Myanmar's
national leader and architect of independence, there were good
opportunities for her to play an important role on the Myamar political
stage.  But the Lawkiyawisitragadi, the activity in the world of nature,
is phenomenal.  Even though there is a high probability that something is
going to happen, it will only happen if it is supposed to happen.  One
might not become what he or she wants to be.  One might not get what he
or she wants.  One must understand this phenomenon.  Unlike others, Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi had many plausible and deserving opportunities but she
destroyed all these opportunities by herself.
There are many national races with mettle in Myanmar and there is also a
considerable number of them in foreign countries.  Although there are
many national races abroad she selected the wrong life partner.  She has
given her life to a person whose race enslaved Myanmar nationals and
exploited Myanmar for years, and issued arms and ammunition to ruthlessly
kill her own father, the architect of independence.  What a mistake!
She rejected persuasions and suqqestions from her mother and brother, and
decided to marry and live with that man [thakaung thagyi] , and now she
has two mixed-race sons.  She totally forgot about Myanmar's land and
water and enjoyed her life in white-faced people's countries for 28
years.  Her life is similar to a bloodless shrimp, and her national
spirit has been destroyed.
One can see a situation clearly only if comparisons are presented in
black and white.  Recently, I read a report in a newspaper on the
selection of Prime Minister Bhutto's life partner. (1) He must be a
Pakistani national, (2) His religion must be Islam, and (3) He must not
interfere in her political affairs.  It was too late for Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi to follow and admire this [kind of idea.]

 Concerning her position, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, until today doesn't know
where she stands.  It is amazing to see that she is pretending not to
know.  Buddhist scriptures say that due to, bad karma, the conscious mind
of creatures perceives what is wrong as right when the time arrives for
them to be destroyed.  Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is unable to see the true
situation.  She has stopped thinking about what she cannot become, and
she has been stubbornly striving to gain state power since the 1988
disturbance.
I thought again and again whether she should get state power and become a
state leader; whether she deserves to get state power and become a state
leader; whether there is a possibility for her to gain state power and
become a state leader.  It concerns the whole nation so one cannot think
about this matter lightly. one must also consider the possible dangers
that may befall Myanmar.
God forbid.  Let's says all state powers of Myanmar are in the hands of
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and she has become a great leader.  Nowadays, there
are some women in Myanmar who are looking up to foreigners and marrying
them for financial reasons.  I have read quite often in the newspapers
about such marriages.  A few days ago, I was invited to a wedding
reception, and was distressed when I realized that it was a marriage
between a Myanmar woman and a foreigner.  I hope these women are not
following the steps of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.
When there is a role of leader and followers to play in this world, the
majority of the followers observe their leader.  Therefore, the majority
of the Myanmar women will observe Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and follow her
path that will lead them to marry foreigners.  Then they will say what is
wrong with marrying a foreigner, we get dollars, and we also enjoy a good
life; and they will shout loudly that this is why our great leader, Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi, is welded [gaheset] to a pure British citizen.  That is
why wise men referred to a Yazawwada [Buddhist story] play -- explained
by Lord Buddha -- that said that if the head of the herd goes straight
then the herd will go straight; if the head of the herd zigzags then the
herd will zigzag too.
How is she going to control this kind of destruction of patriotism?  It
would be futile for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, who delightedly took a
foreigner as her loving husband, to tell Myanmar women not to marry
foreigners and to have patriotism.  The existence of the country depends
upon patriotism.  If we have full patriotism then we can strive and
overcome, and rebuild the country regardless of the situation.  If the
whole nation loses its patriotism then Myanmar will disappear from the
world map or only its name may remain.  Because of these reasons, the
answers to the abovementioned questions are that she should not get state
power and should not become a state leader; she does not deserve to get
state power and does not deserve to become a state leader; there is no
possibility for her to gain state power and become a state leader.  I was
not satisfied with that, so I did more thinking.
Let's say she became a state leader.  It is not good at all for all of
Myanmar to live anymore if Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, our state leader, gives
orders to citizens in her arrogant and stylish manners during the day,
but serves at the feet of the longlnosed foreigner at midnight.  The
Myanmar people should kill themselves.  That is why, my answer is
absolutely no.
With my explanations, we can come up with a nice answer for Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi.  She, like a Buddhist monk who has violated the four training
precepts and has been expelled from the religious order, has made the
wrong choice in selecting her life partner.  She has violated the great
traditions; a violation that no Myanmar can forgive.
That is why, she lost her right to participate in Myanmar's political
arena, and she has becomes the one who has been expelled and excluded
from Myanmar's political arena.  She is like a person whose head has been
cut off, or a dry leave that fell from a tree, or a broken rock-slab, or
a short stump of toddy palm. [All these indicate that she is useless.] So
she should not think about engaging in politics and working to gain state
power.
What should she do?  Some ask her to leave the country.  I have a
different idea.  A monk who has been expelled and excluded from the
religious order for violating the four training precepts can save himself
from being sent to hell [Theggandare, Maggandare] by becoming a layman
and doing good deeds.  In the same manner, if she turns her back on
politics and participates in the people's constructive works by
contributing her knowledge, then she will be able to acquit herself of
posing a danger to the state.  It would be like repaying her historical
dues to the country.  I think this should be done.  I want this to be
done.  That is why, I wrote this article.

End text.