Heineken statement

Burma Centrum Netherland News (BCNN)

Amsterdam, July 10, 1996
Heineken-Press release (translation from dutch original by BCN).

HEINEKEN ANNOUNCES DECISION ON LEAVING MYANMAR

Heineken N.V has decided to end its business activities in Myanmar (former
Burma). The beerbrewer wil stop its involvement in Myanmar Brewery Ltd. This
was made known by the Members of the Board of Heineken N.V. this afternoon.

Heineken has entered this market one and a half year ago for commercial
reasons. "Since that time the public opinion and the conceivement on this
market has changed in such a way, that this could have negative effects on
the Heineken-brand and on the reputation of our company", according to ir. K
Vuursteen, chairman of the Board, today. "Heineken traditionally attaches
great value to its responsibility towards society in numberless markets
around the world. On the basis of the changed circumstances we have
revaluated the situation and have come to the conclusion that we no longer
have the possibility to realise this ambition", said mr Vuursteen.

The formal decision was made on the 30th of June, after is was established
that the general interests of Heineken could be undermined if this project
was continued. The partner in Myanmar was informed on July 4, after which
talks were held on the consequences out of this decision.
BCN is onafhankelijke stichting. Doel: Nederlandse samenleving informeren
over Burma. Het initieert en co-ordineert aktiviteiten die democratisering
en duurzame ontwikkeling bevorderen. Het geeft een positieve bijdrage aan
een constructieve dialoog tussen de diverse groeperingen.

BCN
Paulus Potterstraat 20
1071 DA AMSTERDAM
THE NETHERLANDS