SLORC to People: Don't Worry, Be H

Subject: SLORC to People:  Don't Worry, Be Happy

SLORC to People:  Don't Worry, Be Happy

Article by Bagyi Aung: "Nothing To Worry About; Cultivate More
Paddy Rice" in Burmese government daily KYEMON, July 12, 1996,  p. 6

Begin text (translated from the Burmese):

For a long time, I have wanted to write a true story.  It is difficult
for me because I don't know how to write elaborately.  I read the report
in Trade Minister Lieutenant General Tun Kyi's clear-cut words under the
title "Will Export-Only After Striving For Domestic Sufficiency; [The
government] Will Control Prices of Rice and Paddy" on the last page of
MYANMA ALIN dated June 11, 1996; and this has stimulated me to write this
article.  I don't know how to write elaborately so I cannot help it if my
article ends up in a waste basket.
I have been residing in a village for 13 years and I have considerable
knowledge about matters concerning peasants, rice, and paddy.  I don't
want to write about other matters because I may not be able to avoid
commenting on those issues.  Therefore, I have decided to write about the
feelings of peasants and the worries of rice consumers, especially the
desires of the peasants.

"Words That Cool Down The Hearts of Rice Consumers" [subhead]

 "Paddy that is produced above the level for domestic sufficiency will be
milled and exported." These are the precise and straightforward official
words of Lt.  Gen. Tun Kyi, Minister of Trade and member of the State Law
and Order Restoration Council, who has assumed state responsibility and
has been administering the state.  The public, the 100 percent consumers,
should notice these words.  Get rid of your worries.  I learned about
similar words when I was young.  It was during the Revolutionary Council
era more than 30 years ago.  Then the Revolutionary Council chairman
said: "We will have to export surplus rice only after ensuring that our
people have enough to fill their bellies." I remember these words.  I
want to say that no state leader in Myanmar [Burmese] history has ever
taken the attitude: "We don't have to care about the people as long as we
earn foreign exchange; we can do whatever we like." This attitude
alienates the leader from his people.  The new generation leaders also
follow their predecessors.  I understand that the leaders never forget
about the affairs of the people and they also care about the people.
In my village, there are envious people "like the characters in a Wolf
and a Lamb story."  Allow me speak openly.  There are people who hate the
Defense Services.  They still find ways to say bad things about the
Defense Services. But these people are a minority.  My conversation has
become too long, so allow me to go back to the topic -- that the rice
consumers don't need to have worries.  This is how I see it.  In support
of this, allow me to present the words of assurance of Lt. Gen. Tun Kyi.
He said: "The state will control the extreme rise in the domestic rice
price."

"Words That Cool Down the Hearts of Rice-Growing Peasants"
[subhead]

Lt. Gen. Tun Kyi said: "The Trade Ministry will work for the convenience
of peasants by purchasing paddy rice at a price that is economically
feasible for both parties, so as to avoid a situation in which the
peasants lose interest in cultivating paddy because of the big fall in
paddy prices."
So, the peasants have nothing to worry about.  If the peasants discharge
their duties and cultivate more paddy rice then they will produce more.
It is certain that their lives will be more comfortable.  Now, in my
village, 60 percent of the peasants' houses have corrugated zinc roofs.
Previously, they were thatch-roofed houses.  This is one of the examples.
The peasants whom I know have made various complaints.  They told me: "We
face losses because the cultivation and production costs are so high and
the price offered by the Trade Ministry is very low. Fortunately, we are
helped by the price offered by the outside traders."   Moreover, problems
also arise when the peasants are unable to sell a set amount of paddy to
the purchasing centers.  Some peasants are unable to sell because of crop
failure while some peasants sell all their paddy to the outside traders
and say they had a crop failure.  I think these problems will also occur
in the future.  The solution to these problems is that "there must be a
small gap between the prices offered by the outside traders and the Trade
Ministry." Another thing is to stop the public service personnel at the
purchasing center "from fooling and tricking the peasants." Whenever they
get the opportunities, the state leaders always mention this matter, but
it is sad to see that the public service personnel are ignorant and
unafraid, and this practice is still going on.

   Allow me to conclude my plain article:
--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--****ATTENTION****--***ATTENTION***
Your e-mail reply to this message WILL be *automatically* ANONYMIZED.
Please, report inappropriate use to                abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
For information (incl. non-anon reply) write to    help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you have any problems, address them to          admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx