BurmaNet News: July 24, 1996

-------------------------- BurmaNet -------------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: July 24, 1996
Issue #473

Noted in Passing:
 		Suu Kyi said if the repression continued, Burma would be
		unable to take its rightful place among the nations that
		stand as evidence to the wisdom and dynamism of Asia.
		(see: THE NATION: RANGOON URGES ASEAN ON
		NON-INTERFERENCE)

HEADLINES:
=========
ASSK: LETTER FROM BURMA #35
STATEMENT: PERSECUTION OF CHRISTIANS IN THE CHIN STATE
THE NATION: RANGOON URGES ASEAN ON NON-INTERFERENCE
REUTERS: BURMA UNDER INCREASING PRESSURE AT ASEAN
AP: SUHARTO- WEST MUST NOT INTERFERE IN ASIAN AFFAIRS
FOREIGN AFFAIRS: DOWNER TO PRESS BURMA ON RIGHTS
UPI: SLORC FEELS SHINE WITH THE ASEAN DRESS
REUTERS: CHRISTOPHER WARNS OF BLOODSHED IN BURMA
AP: U.S. HITS BURMA ON RIGHTS
UPI: TOTAL DENIES HELPING BURMESE MILITARY
BBC: SAVE THE WORLD SERVICE
REUTERS: BURMA TO HOLD REGULAR MEDIA MEETINGS
THE NATION: MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR NICHOLS POSTPONED
BKK POST: TOKYO GIVES RANGOON TERMS FOR BETTER TIES
PRESS STATEMENT: KNU 3RD ROUND TALKS WITH SLORC
SLORC - NLM: "TAKING REFUGE..."

ASSK: LETTER FROM BURMA #35
July 22, 1996 (Mainichi Daily News)

BURMESE POLITICS FULL OF COMPLEXITIES AND INTRIGUE
"Mystery Weekend"

Once upon a time, I read a biography of Arthur James Balfour of Balfour
Declaration fame.  The book did not really make the man come alive for me,
leaving the impression that he was either too private or too intellectual to
come across as a vivid human being; or that the author could not do his
subtle personality justice.  Nevertheless, I liked what I learned about the
"happy prime minister." I particularly liked him for the fact that in spite
of the metaphysical dabbling which troubled some of his political
colleagues, he possessed a healthy appreciation for the detective story.  He
was said to have advised a young man that the best way to get a really good
rest was not to go away for the weekend but to shut himself up in the house
with a detective story.  (Or perhaps he said several detective stories).  In
any case it is a piece of advice I consider very sound indeed.  Some of the
most relaxing weekends I have ever enjoyed were those I spent quietly with a
sense of all work to date completed, and an absorbing mystery.

My introduction to the detective story was, very conventionally, through
Sherlock Holmes.  I was about 9 years old when a cousin enthralled me
with the story of The Blue Carbuncle.  Soon after, I was either given or
lent a book about Bugs Bunny's antics involving some Big Red Apples.
On reading it I was struck by the inanity of the plot: How could Bugs
Bunny's adventures compare with those of a man who could, from a
careful examination of a battered old hat, gauge the physical and mental
attributes, the financial situation and the matrimonial difficulties of its
erstwhile owner?  I decided that detectives were far more interesting and
entertaining that anthropomorphized animals.

My childhood affection for Sherlock Holmes did not wane even after I
learnt to think in terms of whodunits rather than detective stories.  The
lean,laconic individual of Baker Street can hold his own with private
eyes of the Philip Marlowe genre as well as the intelligent, understated
breed of Inspectors Grant and Dalgleish.  And the dash of French artist
blood in his veins ("Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest form")
makes him more fascinating that the meant-to-be exotic investigators like
Hercule Poirot.  But of course it is not the detective, or the spy, alone who
makes a weekend spent with a mystery or two so satisfactory.  Apart form
the complexity of the plot and the element of suspense, the style of writing,
the little details that build up the atmosphere of the story and the
fascination of secondary go a long way toward contributing to my enjoyment
of a whodunit.

While Inspector Maigret is a great favorite, Madame Maigret is an even
greater favorite.  I like best the stories in which she features large and
comfortable, the image of a good "memere," always at her cooking pots,
always polishing, always mollycoddling her big baby of a husband.
Even more than the domestic vignettes of the Maigrets, I enjoy descriptions
of the sights and smells of Paris and the food the gourmand inspector eats
with solid appreciation.  The small restaurants he discovers in the midst
of his investigations seem to specialize in robust, full flavored provincial
dishes reminiscent of Elizabeth David's book on French country cooking.

It is probably because of my love of experimenting in the kitchen, a
pastime in which I no longer have time to indulge, that the eating habits
of fictional characters are of such interest to me.  I seem to remember that
in one of his adventures, which I read years ago and the title of which I
have forgotten, Maigret expressed a dislike for calves' liver; in another,
however, he claims that if there is anything he likes better than hot
calves' liver a la bonne femme, it was the same dish served cold.  An
inconsistency as intriguing as any of his cases.  I cannot recall with
clarity a single plot of any of the stories about Nero Wolfe that I have
read but the flavor of the confabulation he had about food with his Swiss
chef lingers.  And it was because this obese private investigator's fulsome
praise of the chicken fricassee with dumplings he ate at a church fete that
I learnt to cook that deliciously homely dish.

Of course one does not read whodunits for memorable descriptions of food.
Does George Smiley ever eat?  I cannot remember.  And one does not
recollect, as one follows the developments of espionage in Berlin, that Len
Deighton has written a number of cook books.  As for Dick Francis, horse
feed it more germane than human diet to his plots but that does not make
his fast-moving tales any less gripping.

Why is it that Englishwomen produce some of the best crime fictions?  I am
thinking of Dorothy Sayers, Josephine Tey, P.D. James and Ruth Rendall.
Theses and probably books have been written on that subject.  It is a
mystery I would like to have the opportunity to mull over some time when a
weekend of leisure becomes a possibility.  In the meantime, there are enough
complexities in Burmese politics to keep one's faculties for unraveling
intrigue fully engaged.

STATEMENT: PERSECUTION OF CHRISTIANS IN THE CHIN STATE
July 22, 1996

Reverend David Van Bik was arrested in Haka a few days ago. Van Bik
received an hornarary degree in the U.S. He had expressed in the past that
the last thing he ever want to do in life is to get involved in politics.
Because of the preparation for the Burma Youth Games, the SLORC (The
military regime) has been  terrorizing the Chins. SLORC stands for State
Law and Order Restoration Council. Burma, now known as Myanmar, is
predominanly a Buddhist country, and Chin State is the only state in Burma
with a Christian majority (apprx. 90%). Youths in Haka and Thlanthlang
(northern towns of Chin State) were brutally beaten and the people are very
oppressed much worse than in mainland Burma. Houses around the Haka
Stadium are demolished, including the home of Dr. David Van Bik. One Chin
person observes that if the SLORC does something foolish to him there could
be total war in the Chin Hills.

In other developing news, the SLORC is trying to convert Christians to
Buddahism in Chin State. In Mindat, a southern town in Chin State,
tension between Christian youths and Buddhist youths is at a very sensitive
level. Hiring authorities were given orders, not openly but secretly, not
to offer jobs to a peoples unless he or she is a Buddhist. At the same time
the preaching of Buddhism has started especially in villages, promising
oppotunities if one is converted to that religion. The lives of Christian
preachers and ministers are at stake. One priest has faced an unsuccessful
assassination attempt three times. This is happening not only in Mindat but
in other parts of the States. Prayer/intercession of Christian believers
from all over the world is very urgent at this point. Please remember Chin
State in your prayers.
[Name Withheld]

THE NATION: RANGOON URGES ASEAN ON NON-INTERFERENCE
July 23, 1996 (abridged)

JAKARTA - Despite a growing Asean tendency to apply a more
balance policy of engagement with Burma, Rangoon yesterday asked
the regional grouping to strictly adhere to its policy of non-
interference.

Burmese Foreign Minister Ohn Gyaw told a press conference that he
believes Asean will not contact the Burmese opposition in Burma,
as the regional grouping, like Burma, observer the principle of
non-interference in others' internal affairs.

"Asean, I believe, will not contact (the opposition) because it
is very clearly stated that Asean, as individuals or as a whole,
observes the principle not to interfere in the internal affairs
of another country," he said when asked to comment on the
communications some Asean members have established with the
Burmese opposition.

Ohn Gyaw said he had no objection to the Rangoon-based diplomatic
corp meeting the Burmese opposition as long as their "intention"
is not to interfere in Burma's domestic affairs.

At the invitation of the opposition National League for Democracy
(NLD), Thailand and the Philippines along with some Western
countries sent diplomats to attend an NLD party congress in May.

Ohn Gyaw said several embassies including those of Thailand and
the Philippines had received an invitation to attend the NLD
congress, "but how high the level and how serious the commitment,
I don't know. But as long as the intention is not interference in
internal affairs, then of course every diplomat can do whatever
he or she see fit".

Thailand was the only Asean member to have taken a low-key
approach over the issue for fear that a potential eruption of
violence could affect the country, which shares a long border with Burma.

In a letter to Burmese junta leader Gen Than Shwe, Prime Minister
Banharn Silpa-archa expressed concern over the situation in Burma
and its impact on Thailand. He also warned of possible negative
reactions from the West.

Asean members were also caught off guard over how to deal with a
letter recently sent to their heads of government by Aung San Suu
Kyi asking the grouping to urge the ruling Slorc to "open up
meaningful dialogue" with the NLD and all other political forces
in Burma.

Suu Kyi said if the repression continued, Burma would "be
condemned to more long years of conflict and stagnation, unable
to take its rightful place among the nations that stand as
evidence to the wisdom and dynamism of Asia".

Asean foreign ministers attending series of ongoing annual
meeting in Jakarta decide to let individual Asean members respond
on their own to Suu Kyi's letter.

They are also aware of the increasing efforts by their key
dialogue partners - Australia, Canada, the European Union and the
United States - to pressure the grouping to reverse its
"constructive engagement" policy and to apply harsher measures
against Rangoon.

The refusal to open dialogue with Suu Kyi, and the sudden death
in prison last month of Leo Nichols, have edged the West and the
European Union closer to imposing tougher measures including
economic sanctions.

Ohn Gyaw said he foresaw no prospects of Western economic
sanctions. The Burmese minister also insisted that dialogue and
National reconciliation must be done through the National
Convention, a forum organised by Slorc to draft the country's new
constitution.

REUTERS: BURMA UNDER INCREASING PRESSURE AT ASEAN
July 22, 1996

JAKARTA, - Burma came under increasing pressure from Western
nations on Monday over its human rights record, despite efforts by Southeast
Asian nations to defuse the issue which they find increasingly irritating.

The European Union and Australia both expressed concern over the
political situation in Burma in bilateral meetings with Rangoon's Foreign
Minister Ohn Gyaw.

Irish Foreign Minister Dick Spring, current chairman of the EU Council
of Ministers, told reporters after meeting Ohn Gyaw that he had expressed
the EU's concern over the political situation in Burma.

Asked if the Burmese had been receptive, he said: "I think they
certainly understood the concerns..."

He said they had agreed on further dialogue. "I think that it's
important that we'll have regular meetings where those concerns can be
expressed, and I think that will happen in the future."

A key issue angering the West is the death in custody on June 22 of
James Nichols, a Burmese citizen who was close to Suu Kyi and had been
honorary consul for several European nations, including Denmark.

Spring said the Burmese had handed over "some documentation" relating
to the death of Nichols, and this would be studied and a report made to EU
members, particularly Denmark.

Downer said he had also received a letter from the Burmese explaining
the circumstances of the death. An Australian official, however, later
quoted Downer as saying: "They responded but did not engage the points we
had been making."

At an earlier news conference, the Burmese minister said that weekly
meetings held outside Suu Kyi's Lakeside Rangoon home were legal if they
were peaceful and no documents were distributed.

AP: SUHARTO- WEST MUST NOT INTERFERE IN ASIAN AFFAIRS
July 21, 1996

JAKARTA, -- Southeast Asia's biggest trade group embraced Burma's
military regime Saturday, dismissing efforts to isolate the junta accused
of abusing human rights and repressing pro-democracy activists.

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations ignored international calls
for strong action and instead granted Burma observer status within the
seven-nation diplomatic club.

Burma's acceptance by the group as an observer -- a step toward full
membership -- represents a breakthrough for its military rulers. They have
been ostracized by many countries for suppressing of pro-democracy
activists led by 1991 Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.

The foreign ministers warmly applauded Burmese Foreign Minister
Ohn Gyaw when he took the podium for a first-ever address at their
annual meeting.

"Today is an historic moment for Southeast Asia," he said. Burma's
induction topped the agenda, a reflection of its importance to the group.

Human rights groups have condemned the move to include Burma. U.S.
Secretary of State Warren Christopher is expected to arrive in Jakarta over
the weekend and hopes to persuade the ministers to do more than simply
accommodate the junta.

Faced with blanket opposition from the Southeast Asian states,
Christopher and other western officials have backed away, however, from
earlier threats of economic and other sanctions against Burma.

Unrepentant, Ohn Gyaw justified his regime's behavior, including the
repression of pro-democracy activists like Suu Kyi.

Instead of ostracizing Burma, the trade group is pursuing "constructive
engagement" to encourage its generals to end the civil crackdown. They
argue that sanctions interfere unjustifiably in Burma's affairs.

In an apparent swipe at western anger against Burma's military regime,
Indonesia's President Suharto called on powerful countries not to interfere
in the domestic affairs of others.

Suharto didn't mention Burma specifically. However, he called for
"global partnership" of rich and poor nations to solve international
problems.

Critics including Sidney Jones of Human Rights Watch/Asia are skeptical
that a neighborly approach to Burma will do any good.

"In the last eight months we've seen a steady deterioration in human
rights," he said in a statement released in Bangkok.

"ASEAN must either conclude that its policy of engagement is bankrupt or
use its influence with Burma to halt the slide."

FOREIGN AFFAIRS: DOWNER TO PRESS BURMA ON RIGHTS
July 22, 1996 (abridged)
By Don Greenlees

	The Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr Downer, will today press
Australia's deep concern over human rights abuses in Burma in a move
which will test the Howard Government's ability to navigate tensions
between Asian and regional nations over the growing regional recognition
of the military regime in Rangoon.

	Mr Downer is due to meet his Burmese counterpart, Mr Ohn Gyaw,
for 30 minutes late today amid threats by the European Union that the
increasing prominence given to the ruling State Law and Order Restoration
Council could jeopardise the push for closer ties.

	Western countries have been warned against meddling in Asian
affairs by putting pre-conditions on regional recognition of Burma in
political and security talks with South-East Asian nations in Jakarta
this week.

	But Mr Downer, who flew into Jakarta last night for the four days
of talks within the ASEAN Regional Forum and post-ministerial conference,
has signalled he intends to pursue a range of concerns over the SLORC's
crackdown on pro-democracy forces.

	Despite concerns over the state of human rights in Burma,
Australia maintains the so-called 'benchmarking" policy which attempts to
tie official engagement with Burma to performance in offering increased
democratic and civil rights.

	The policy effectively leaves Australia straddling the
'constructive engagement" policy of the ASEAN countries and the more
strident position of the EU and the United States.

Although there is widespread dissatisfaction within the bureaucracy over
the sucess of unconvinced there is any real alternative for now.

UPI: SLORC FEELS SHINE WITH THE ASEAN DRESS
July 22, 1996 (abridged)

   JAKARTA, Burma's foreign minister Monday defended the
human rights record of his country's ruling military junta and exulted in
its new-found respectability as a prospective member of the Association of
Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).

   "We are ready now," for full membership in ASEAN, Ohn Gyaw said.
   He justified the brutal suppression of Burma's pro-democracy movement in
1988 on cultural and historical grounds, saying the country was on the
verge of disintegration.

  "The armed forces is the only disciplined institution," Ohn Gyaw said.
"In 1988 (the country) collapsed. That was the reason why the armed forces
had to come in."

   He said the maintenance of "law and order" justified the military's
refusal to hand over power when the National League for Democracy, led by
Aung San Suu Kyi, won a landslide victory in the election of 1990.

 Without naming them, Ohn Gyaw lashed out at the United States and other
Western countries for blocking loans to Burma from the World Bank and the
Asian Development Bank.

   "The big powers, if they do not like a country, they can manipulate
certain restrictions on development projects," he said.

   The U.S., Australia and several European governments have restricted
trade with Rangoon in order to put pressure on its military rulers to free
political prisoners and curtail the use of slave labor.

   Ohn Gyaw also defended his government's "black list" of journalists it
will not allow in the country, saying it has a right to bar newsmen
critical of the regime.

REUTERS: CHRISTOPHER WARNS OF BLOODSHED IN BURMA
July 23, 1996 (abridged)

JAKARTA, - Western nations kept up the pressure on Burma at Asian
security talks on Tuesday, with U.S. Secretary of State Warren
Christopher warning of the potential for bloodshed if Rangoon refused
to change its policies.

Indonesian Foreign Minister Ali Alatas in contrast painted
an optimistic picture as he opened the annual meeting of the 21-
member ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) of leading Asian and Western
nations, formed in 1994 to promote peace, security and stability
in the region.

He noted that the security situation was ``generally
tranquil and stable,'' while the economies of Asian nations had
benefited from this by expanding at a ``tremendous pace.''

In his formal address on Tuesday, Christopher said the ARF
``should consider the impact of current conditions in Burma on
the region.''

He said the refusal of Burma's leaders ``to heed the desires
of a majority of people for a transition to democratic rule and
its increased harassment of the democratic opposition not only
violates basic universal human rights but raises the chance of
instability, bloodshed and migration within Burma and across its
borders.''

One official denied ASEAN was blind to developments in Burma
and was also calling for national reconciliation to promote
security in the region.

``We all have the same goals, but we are taking different
routes to the mountain top,'' another official said.

He noted there were some 600,000 tribal refugees from Burma
already in Thailand, and he said there was concern that if the
Burmese administration were to collapse, India and China would
``carve it up'' as they had done in the past.

AP: U.S. HITS BURMA ON RIGHTS
July 23, 1996

JAKARTA,  - Secretary of State Warren Christopher accused Burma's
military regime Tuesday of human rights violations and said its policies
are increasing an international threat from drug traffickers.

Christopher said SLORC's refusal "to heed the desire of a majority of the
Burmese people for a transition to democratic rule and its increased
harassment of the democratic opposition not only violates basic,
universal human rights but raises thechances of instability, bloodshed
and migration within Burma and across its borders."

"The steady deterioration of the rule of law has increased the threat that
Burma's burgeoning drug trade poses to citizens from Bangkok to Berlin
and from Shanghai to San Francisco," Christopher said.

A monitoring group, the International Narcotics Control Board,
has reported that Burma is the world's leading opium grower. The
U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration estimates that about 2,000 tons
of opium come out of Burma each year.

China Tuesday argued against pressuring the Burmese regime. Foreign
Ministry spokesman Shen Guofang accused the United States and Europe
of meddling in Burma's affairs for ideological reasons.

"Southeast Asia should do away with the interference from the outside and
solve the issue on its own," Shen told reporters.

The military rulers held regular briefings after they seized power in
September 1988, but the practice slowly fell off. With little access
to officials, journalists rely on the heavily censored press to gauge
the rulers' opinions.

The official New Light of Myanmar newspaper, which reported the
decision, did not say whether foreign journalists will be allowed to
attend the briefings. The military regime has not permitted foreign
journalists to be based in Burma since the 1960s.

UPI: TOTAL DENIES HELPING BURMESE MILITARY
July 23, 1996

LONDON, - A senior official of French energy group Total S.A. denied in
remarks quoted Tuesday that the company's participation in a $1.2 billion
gas venture in Burma was propping up the country's military government.

Daniel Valot, Total SA's managing director of exploration and production,
told the Financial Times newspaper he disagreed with claims by Burmese
opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi that its Burma project  "contributed to
the government's financial equilibrium."

Suu Kyi told the French newspaper Le Monde last week she believed
Total has become "the principal support of the Burmese military system."

Total is developing the natural gas project mainly for export to Thailand
in partnership with U.S. oil company Unocal, Thailand's PTT Exploration
and Production, and Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise of Burma.

Valot said the Myanmar Oil and Gas Enterprise's holding in the venture
involved expenditure by the government instead of generating revenue,
which would not start to flow until about 2001.

Kommunernes Pensionsforsikring, a Danish pension fund, last week sold
its $10.45 million holding in Total because of fears the oil company's
Burmese investment might lead to an international boycott of its products.

Valot said the company, which has said it intends to stay in Burma, realized it
would not be "the easiest" country to operate in, but did not expect to have to
deal with so much "disinformation" about its activities.

BBC: SAVE THE WORLD SERVICE
July 21, 1996

We have received  some queries, including some  from BurmaNet readers,
on whether the  restructuring of the BBC will  impact the  World Service's
broadcasts to Burma.

The plans certainly represent the biggest re-organisation the World
Service has undergone since its foundation more than 60 years ago.

Much will change within the BBC, but much will remain the same. The
changes will not affect the World Service's Burmese broadcasts, neither in
hours of output nor in its content. We will continue to broadcast accurate
and unbiased news and current-affairs to Burma, as well as our rich mix
of special interest, English-language teaching and educational programmes.
We will continue to provide the most comprehensive coverage of Burmese
stories that we possibly can, under the same BBC  editorial guidelines that
we have always followed. These guidelines have greatly contributed to the
unrivalled reputation that the BBC enjoys in Burma and elsewhere for
accurate and impartial information. And as one of the world's leading public
service broadcasters, we will continue to serve our audience as we always have,
providing our programmes as a public service, with no expectation of returns,
be they moral or otherwise.On a lighter note, the restructuring is certainly
wide-reaching but, unlike Heineken, there are parts it cannot reach: among
these, our ability to join in the debate, speak our minds if we want to, and
keep our jobs at the same time!
Marcia Poole,
Head, Burmese Section
BBC World Service

REUTERS: BURMA TO HOLD REGULAR MEDIA MEETINGS
July 23, 1996

RANGOON, - Burma's military government says it will hold regular
monthly news briefings for local and visiting foreign correspondents
to provide them with easier access to developments, state-run newspapers
said on Tuesday.

The ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council's (SLORC)
information committee was reorganised at a Monday meeting
presided over by military intelligence chief and senior SLORC
member Lieutenant-General Khin Nyunt, the newspapers said.

 ``The newly-reconstituted information committee will release
news on developments and changes in the country, economy and
investments from time to time and carry out news briefings on a
regular monthly basis,'' the New Light of Myanmar Newspaper
reported.

 ``It is the State Law and Order Restoration Council's bid to
help those who would like the world to see the true side of the
coin, not only the side Myanmar (Burma)-bashers want others to
see,'' the newspaper said in an editorial.

Burma's tightly-controlled official media launches regular
attacks on the foreign media for reports critical of the
military government.

THE NATION: MEMORIAL SERVICE FOR NICHOLS POSTPONED
July 23, 1996

A SCHEDULED memorial service for the de facto honorary consul of
four European countries in Burma, who died in a Rangoon prison
last month, has been called off, a diplomat said in Bangkok
yesterday.

The Catholic memorial service for Leo Nichols scheduled yesterday
service was called off indefinitely as local church authorities
were "not eager to organise the ceremony," Swiss Ambassador
Blaise Godet said.

"The political climate did not allow for the service to be held,"
he said, but added that friends of Nichols would hold a private
memorial later.

Godet said the memorial would take place, "once the political
situation allowed for it," but said this could take several
months. Catholic officials in Rangoon have been uneasy about
holding the memorial service following the presence of under
cover military intelligence agents at Nichols' funeral on June
23, diplomats in Rangoon said.

Nichols represented the interests of Denmark, Finland, Norway and
Switzerland, all of which have unsuccessfully appealed for an
independent autopsy to be carried out on his body.

Burma, which maintains that Nichols was treated well in prison
and was not tortured, has refused to carry out a fresh autopsy,
saying that such a move would compromise its sovereignty.

The case has brought fresh condemnations on the Burmese junta,
already under pressure from the West because of a crackdown
against the opposition in May.

BKK POST: TOKYO GIVES RANGOON TERMS FOR BETTER TIES
July 23, 1996
by Saritdet Marukatat

BURMA was told yesterday its ties with Japan will be strengthened
if the ruling junta opens a dialogue with pro-democracy groups.

Japanese Foreign Minister Yokihiko Ikeda made the point during
talks with Ohn Gyaw his Burmese counterpart.

"Democratisation through dialogue between the parties concerned
would be conducive to stronger ties," Mr Ikeda said.

"Public opinion in Japan is extremely concerned about human
rights in Burma," Mr Ikeda said.

The Japanese minister also expressed concern about current
tensions in Burma, especially a recent law banning public
gatherings.

Seen as directed at the weekend gathering outside the home of
Aung San Suu Kyi, the June 7 law allows for the detention for up
to 20 years of anyone who says or writes anything deemed
"disruptive" to law and order.

Ohn Gyaw also said elections would take place after the
constitution-drafting process was completed but he did not say
when.

The ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council ignored the
result of a general election in May 1990 which bought a landslide
victory to Mrs Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy.

Ohn Gyaw said Suu Kyi and the league had "lost their chance" for
dialogue by pulling out of the National Convention that is taking
charge of the constitution drafting process.

The Burmese minister also said the Slorc would not allow a second
constitution.

The league pulled out of the convention in November and announced
after its congress in late May that it would draft an alternative
constitution.

Japan phased out aid to Burma after hundreds of people were
killed in the military regime's crushing of the democracy
uprising in August 1988.

PRESS STATEMENT: KNU 3RD ROUND TALKS WITH SLORC
July 23, 1996

1. On June 27, 1996, the KNU sent an eleven-member delegation led
by Gen. Tamlabaw for the continuation of talks with the Slorc.

2. The KNU delegation held talks for three times with the SLORC
delegations led by Col. Kyaw Win in Moulmein town.
On July 3, 1996, the KNU delegation arrived Rangoon and met with
the Slorc Secretary (1) Gen. Khin Nyunt. The delegation left Rangoon
on July 6, 1996 and arrived at he KNU headquarters on July 8, 1996.

3. At this third round of talks, discussions on matters relating to
cease-fire and settlement of problems through negotiation for genuine
peace in the country were continued. The discussions were made in a frank
and cordial manner. Although it is difficult to find a common ground in
such a short period between the two sides having deverse view-points and
positions, the two sides are to hold further talks, with deliberation.

SLORC - NLM: "TAKING REFUGE..."
July 14, 1996 (The New Light of Myanmar)

by Byatti: "Taking Refuge Under a Htamein To Escape Prosecution"
in Burmese government daily KYEMON, July 14, 1996,  p. 5
[Translated from the Burmese]

Fabrications by foreign broadcasting stations experienced in propaganda
seem true, although they are not, and it is hard to judge whether they
are good or we are ignorant. During its 2100 broadcast on July 8, a
foreign-funded Burmese language program from Norway carried fabricated
new about elected representatives during their tailored Burmese news
program.

The Norway station concocted fabrications that the SLORC [State Law and
Order Restoration Council] government, which has been condemned for
arresting and imprisoning elected representatives of the National League
for Democracy [NLD], has now resorted to pressuring NLD elected
representatives to resign. It also reported that 16 NLD elected
representatives have resigned since the mass arrest in May. I would like
to disclose some food for thought. At a time when the Medawgyi
[derogatory reference to Aung San Suu Kyi], the founding mother of the
NLD, was bragging about catching elephants and tigers, some semiliterate
elected representatives joined in, but some conscientious elected
representatives struggled free from the contaminated party of their own
volition. Some cited age and health reasons, while some clearly
expressed their disinterest in party politics. The actions of the
elected representatives have hurt the Medawgyi, who angrily and
shamelessly reported in public that the resignations were without the
party's approval and the consent of the electorate. In other words, it
was the Medawgyi's attempt to make party members and sympathizers
belittle those elected representatives who had resigned. While the
Medawgyi was being provocative, foreign broadcasting stations alleged
that the resignations were because of the SLORC's pressure, coercion,
and threats. The answer was clear. Though the answer was clear, I became
confused when I heard from the Norway station about Dr. Myo Nyunt, the
NLD elected representative from Dedaye Township constituency. I found
out the truth, however, after investigating political circles. According
to the broadcast from Norway, Dr. Myo Nyunt fled to avoid SLORC's
pressure. His wife was threatened by SLORC to entice him to resign. His
drug license was revoked, he was under economic pressure, and revoking
his drug license in food scarce Myanmar [Burma] was akin to sentencing
him to starvation. The broadcast also alleged that it was the SLORC's
attempt to destroy his livelihood. Innocent people, after hearing this
news, would think the news seemed true and would feel doubtful. The
actual incident was as follows: Acting on a tipoff that Dr. Myo Nyunt,
the elected representative from Dedaye Township Constituency-1 who
resides at No. 67-B, Sethmu 1st Road, Myittanyunt Ward, Tamwe Township,
was producing unlicensed medicines, a combined team--the Tamwe township
medical officer, township general administration officer and his deputy,
one police officer from the township police precinct, and the chairman
of the ward law and order restoration council--searched his house on 24
June 1996. They found out that he was producing and selling: Digar
B-Plex [name rendered in English] Vitamin B complex tablets; Digarton BP
Tablets [namerendered in English] antihistamine tablets; Mom [name
rendered in English] anti-gas tablets; and Paracetamol [name rendered in
English] tablets.  After required interrogations, his wife revealed that
the medicines were produced without a license. Therefore, responsible
authorities booked Dr. Myo Nyunt at the Tamwe police precinct on 26 June
under "Section 18/19 of the National Drugs Law." Dr. Myo Nyunt, who is
an artful dodger and afraid to bear the consequences, disappeared. In
old horror movies, [actress] Daw Mya Lay transformed into a vulture when
she covered herself with her htamein [lady's sarong]. Now elected
representative Dr. Myo Nyunt, who turned into a vulture after covering
himself with a pasoe [man's sarong], has also freely flown to an estate
on the banks of Inya Lake. What an idea! The Devi lady of the house also
accepted him casually. Madam Myo Nyunt [derogatory reference] contacted
the Devi lady of the house and was informed that her ladyship was busy
in the garden--not mowing the lawn, picking up leaves, or sweeping--and
he was told to call 530365 for further contact. This is the truth about
the incident, unlike what the Norway station blurted out. Why does an
elected legislator want to produce illicit drugs? If legal action is
taken against producing illicit liquor, what more should be taken
against illicit drugs. Who will vouch for the drugs' potency? Who will
suffer if the medicine proves fatal? Should Dr. Myo Nyunt be practicing
alchemy? The allegation that sentencing Dr. Myo Nyunt to starvation by
simply revoking his drug license is a joke because the least he could do
is beg, and there is no way he is going to starve. Dr.  Myo Nyunt has
the right to argue "I am not a beggar to be begging. I am a doctor."
Remember, however, he took shelter at the commonwealth estate. If the
elected representative doctor feels he is right and can provide evidence
to clear up the matter, then he need not flee but should settle the
matter legally to show respect for the legal system. Those who have
accepted him should also do what is required if they respect the law. In
comparison, I would like to report on another elected representative.
Everyone is aware that authorities called all NLD elected
representatives for interrogation last May. Accordingly, U Sai Myint
Aung, an advocate and NLD elected representative from Lashio Township
Constituency-1, was taken from a hotel in Muse. In relation to that
matter, it was reported that authorities shut down that hotel for six
months as a penalty for accepting the elected representative as a guest.
This matter also caused skepticism among the listeners.  Coincidently, I
came across an ex-politician in early June who had returned from a
business trip from Muse who also told me about that matter. When I
phoned his workplace and inquired about the closure of the hotel, he
replied that the hotel was not closed and that he himself was a guest at
the "Kyaw Kyaw" hotel. Meanwhile, the elected representative had already
returned home. The Norway station tried to fabricate exaggerations,
saying that the hotel closure was to discourage entrepreneurs from
associating with elected representatives. How strange.  Elected
representatives are not monsters, demons, and ogres for the people to
dissociate from. Dissociation by the people because of their character,
pride, and egotism does not concern the SLORC.  Whatever it may be, in
the hearts of some elected representatives they believe in doing what
they want, letting things happen as they please, and that they will get
away with violating the law if they take shelter under the htamein at
the commonwealth estate. Dr. Myo Nyunt, the fleeing elected
representative, practically proved the saying: "Taking refuge under a
htamein to escape prosecution."