               (NCUB) IN SUPPORT OF HUNGER STRIKE IN JAPAN

                                                     Date: August 6, 1996

We the members of the NCUB are greatly encouraged to learn that more than 20 students and
democracy activists from the Democratic Burmese Students Organization (DBSO-Japan) and
88 Group (Japan)  will stage a 48 hour hunger strike in Hibia Park in Tokyo, Japan on
August 8 to commemorate the 8th anniversary of 8-8-88 nation-wide uprising in Burma. We
are also encouraged to learn that other Burmese democratic organizations in Japan including
Burma Youth Volunteer Association (BYVA), Burmese Association in Japan (BAIJ), National
League for Democracy (Japan Branch), and more than 100 Japanese nationals will join forces
the hunger strike and demonstration in front of the Burmese Embassy.

On this important occasion, the NCUB would like you to know that we support your tireless
effort to restore democracy and human rights in Burma that we believe that it is an important
task for the youth and students of the 88 generation to carry on the work of students and
youth of 1962 and the 1970s.

We would also like to congratulate you for your courageous action, and confirm that it is
appropriate and timely to inform the international community, particularly the Japanese
government, which is the biggest donor to the Burmese military regime, that they take
initiative to convince the military to enter dialogue with the democratic forces in order to find
a peaceful political solution to Burma's problems.

In Solidarity

Moe Thee Zun
Joint-General Secretary
National Council of Union of Burma (NCUB)