BurmaNet News: August 8, 1996

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: August 8, 1996
Issue #486

Noted in Passing:
============

HEADLINES:
==========
STATEMENT: DEMOCRATIC ACTION PARTY (MALAYSIA)
AP: BURMESE LAWMAKER TORTURED
WNC BURMA: SLORC INFO. COMMITTEE GIVES NEWS BRIEFING
SLORC PRESS: EDITORIAL: NAY TO DOOMSDAYERS
AFP: AMNESTY CONDEMNS BURMA HUMAN RIGHTS
US STATE DEPT: NOON BRIEFING
BKK POST: EU  MAY REVOKE TRADE PRIVILEGES
NATION: US FINDS FORCED LABOUR IS 3% OF BURMA'S GDP
BKK POST: BURMA CATCHES BREWERY DEALERS OFF GUARD
FBC: LONDON FOG CEASES BURMA WORK,
BKK POST: FISH SALES BAN TO BE LIFTED

AP: BURMESE LAWMAKER TORTURED
August 7, 1996

Officials tortured an ally of Aung San Suu Kyi to death as part of a
campaign of arrests, torture and intimidation targeting opposition leaders,
a dissidents' group said Tuesday.

Since Suu Kyi's congress, the government "has been launching a
suppressive campaign against the elected representatives of the 1990
general elections," the dissidents' group said in a statement.

 "Elected representatives have been subjected to arbitrary arrest,
 torture and some of them died in custody because of torture and
 various diseases resulted from lack of food, medical care and poor sanitation."

Former prisoners and human rights groups say various methods of
torture, including beatings and sleep deprivation, are common in
Burmese prisons. The Red Cross pulled out of Burma last year because
the government refused it access to political prisoners.

The Burmese government has not acknowledged Hla Than's death. It
maintains that it treats its prisoners well.

Suu Kyi, along with several colleagues, attended his funeral
Sunday at Kyandaw cemetary in Rangoon, about an hour before she gave
her regular weekend speech in front of her home.

Hla Than, who served in the Burmese army from 1965-77, was
arrested in 1990 on charges of trying to set up a parallel
government and sentenced to 25 years in prison.

WNC BURMA: SLORC INFO. COMMITTEE GIVES NEWS BRIEFING
August 1, 1996 (Rangoon TV Myanmar Network)(abridged)

[FBIS Translated Excerpt] The Information Committee of the State Law
and Order Restoration Council [SLORC] held its first news conference at
1200 on 1 August at Studio A of the Department of Myanmar Television
and Broadcasting Service.

The news briefing was attended by: Major General Aye Kyaw, head of the
SLORC Information Committee and information minister; Foreign Minister
U Ohn Gyaw; Brigadier General Win Tin, finance and revenue minister;
Brig. Gen. Aung Thein, director general of the Department of Public
Relations and Psychological Warfare of the Defense Ministry; Information
Ministry adviser U Kyaw San; committee members; local and foreign news
correspondents; visiting journalists from KYODO, NHK, YOMIURI, NIHON
KEIZAI, and ASAHI SHIMBUN; and cultural and information attaches from
the Embassies of Bangladesh, the People's Republic of China, France,
Germany, Indonesia, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Yugoslavia, Japan, Egypt, Singapore,
the United States, the Russian Federation, Thailand, Philippines, Pakistan,
India, the United Kingdom, and Italy.

Maj. Gen. Aye Kyaw, said the news conference, the first of its kind
since the reorganization of the Information Committee, being held because
the foreign media has been carrying false and incomplete news on Myanmar.
He explained that the news conference was being held to enable local and
foreign news agencies to obtain news correctly. He said there would be
two main topics at today's briefing: first, Foreign Minister U Ohn Gyaw's
attendance at the recent ASEAN Meeting in Jakarta and, two, an
explanation of Myanmar's economic and monetary affairs.

Foreign Minister U Ohn Gyaw, who recently attended the 29th ASEAN
Ministerial Meeting in Jakarta from 20-23 July, explained the acceptance
of Myanmar as an ASEAN observer nation.

He said Myanmar's foreign policy places priority on
good relations with neighboring countries and that there are
no major outstanding issues with ASEAN countries. He said,
although Myanmar did not join ASEAN initially, it has always
had mutual respect for ASEAN and has remained aware that
Myanmar is part of Southeast Asia and hopes to join ASEAN one day.
He said that has been the aim of the SLORC, which came to power in
1988-89 and introduced political, economic, and social reforms.

He said the ARF formed by ASEAN stressed security issues in its meetings
and that security is no longer defined in 1967 terms; security now means
securing development free of external interference. He said the ARF is not
the kind of forum that endorses resolutions.

Minister U Ohn Gyaw said he addressed four issues at the ARF meeting
--dialogue, detainees, the national convention, and the return of the 15
armed groups to the legal fold and development. In a response to the
Western nations stance, he explained that the term dialogue was used
only about a year ago and that the issue of dialogue came into vogue after
10 July 1995 [date of Aung San Suu Kyi's release]. He said we have
actually been engaged in dialogue since 1993 by holding the National
Convention--a systematic forum where there had been no difficulties
initially.

He explained the National Convention, held originally with 700 delegates,
consulted and reached agreement on 15 chapter headings and issued
guidelines and resolutions. He said the convention had deliberated and
endorsed self- administered regions and states, and three sovereign powers
relating to the executive, legislature, and judiciary. He said when the
convention resumed it would discuss the separation of powers among
judicial bodies of the states and regions. He said he discussed the issue
of dialogue by referring to these points.

Continuing, Foreign Minister U Ohn Gyaw explained that he addressed
the issue of detainees at the ARF. He explained that there are no political
detainees and that any person who violates the law would be punished in
accordance with the laws inherited from the British.

He mentioned that the NLD [National League for Democracy] left the
convention in November 1995 and that they were removed from the
National Convention two days later. He also reported that 15 armed
groups had returned to the legal fold, and the pledge was made to them
to bring about development in the future through mutual understanding
and cooperation. He said mutual trust among the national races has been
established.

Continuing, he explained that Khun Sa had surrendered unconditionally
and that this has helped greatly in combating narcotic drugs regionally,
internationally, and in Burma. He said narcotic drugs have both a supply
and demand side and that there will be supply as long as there is demand.
He said his government has made a firm decision to completely eliminate
the cultivation of narcotic drugs and opium with the help of indigenous
nationals in the border regions

Brig. Gen. Win Tin, the finance and revenue minister, explained Myanmar's
economic and monetary affairs, elaborating on measures taken to increase
revenue. He said assistance has been obtained from the United Nations
Development Program and the International Monetary Fund to expand
the revenue base, facilitate revenue collection, and improve revenue
management, and these measures have brought positive results.

Explaining the revenue collection rate, he said the tax rate had previously
been high, but the rate on imported goods calculated on the official
exchange rate affected the volume of revenue. He said the tax rate has
been reduced to one-tenth of the previous rates and the rate on imported
goods is based on market value. He dismissed the rumors that the tax rate
on imported goods is based on the rate of 100 kyat to one U.S. dollar.

He said monetary reforms had been carried out and the private sector has
been allowed. He said there are currently four state banks, including the
Myanmar Central Bank, one public finance company, 20 local private
banks, and offices of representatives of 29 out of 42 licensed foreign banks.

He said he would like to point out that the Myanmar Central Bank is on
constant watch to ensure the country's banking system remains stable and
strong.

He said the Central Myanmar Bank's Department for Overseeing Banking
Operations is striving to obtain information on the stability of individual
banks and other related matters and is capable of taking the necessary
measures. The Central Bank will not remain indifferent to a financially
unstable individual bank affecting the health of the entire banking system.
He said the rumors are groundless, that the Myanmar Central Bank is closely
supervising the banks, and that the monetary situation is strong as domestic
banks are operating according to firm banking principles. He said he had
already explained the issue of currency notes that meet international
standards at the time of opening of Myanmar May Flower Bank's
international banking department.

He said he would like to reiterte that the existing monetary system is
reliable, strong, and stable and urged the people to have faith in Myanmar's
economy and banking sector.

Brig. Gen. Aye Kyaw, head of the SLORC Information Committee,
ministers, and members of the committee responded to questions from
the local and foreign journalists.

[Begin recording, in English]For the benefit of my foreign colleagues, I will
repeat the question in English. At the recent ASEAN Fourth Ministerial
Meeting in Jakarta, United States Secretary of State Warren Christopher
said if there is a delay, or if it takes time to transfer power to the democratic
regime [in Myanmar], there is a greater chance of bloodshed, instability,
and refugee problem in this country. My question is whether there is any
likelihood of bloodshed, instability, and refugee problem in this country.

[U Ohn Gyaw] There is definitely no possibility. My response to the press
--that my briefing to the ARF, as well as in the process of press conference,
I assured them that the fact that we become the observer nation of the
ASEAN is the proof that we are stable and that we are committed to have
the constitution, we are committed to have the multiparty system, we are
committed to have the welfare of the people. So that is the reason why,
whenever the press or Mr. Warren Christopher--whatever he may be
saying--that there is no chance that the tension or the disturbances will be
taking place. But of course, if everybody is to adhere to the existing laws--
as I have said, if anybody transgress the law--then of course, it will be,
he or she would be taking action.

[(Takata Yomi) of YOMIURI SHIMBUN] I like to ask a question to Mr.
Foreign Minister. The ASEAN members asked for Myanmar to complete
the drafting of the new constitution before becoming the full membership
of the ASEAN countries.  [U Ohn Gyaw] There is no precondition, and
nobody asked me or nobody asked the government to complete the
convention. It is a process. As a country, we belong to Southeast Asia
geographically, and then we have 48 million people, we have natural
resources, we have the trade and commerce potential. And the founders
of the ASEAN--founding fathers of ASEAN--had vision that at one stage
there will be 10 Southeast Asian countries, and this is the moment. Now we
have technology, we have the growth rate far better than any other part of
the world. That is the reason why, taking this opportunity, they would like
to invite willingly, with open arms, that if we are ready we can go in. But
among the ASEAN countries, there is no precondition of internal affairs.
This is what Ali Alatas has said to the West--that whatever is the internal
affairs, it is the cardinal principles of the ASEAN that they are not going to
interfere. This is the cardinal rule, and they are not asking us.

[Unidentified correspondent] I think you have just used the word expel about
the NLD a few moment ago, while you were briefing us. NLD was expelled
from the National Convention, and I think I understand that. I wonder if
there are any ways for the government to let them back into National
Convention. In another word, cancellation of expulsion?

[Unidentified Burmese official] Well, the NLD delegates--they get out of
the National Convention on their own accord. We have adopted the rules
of procedures to be followed by the delegates of the National Convention.
Under these rules, those delegates are to attend the sessions regularly.
And, if they cannot, they have to get prior permission from the panel of
chairmen. If the delegate fails to attend the panel of chairmen for two
consecutive days without prior permission from the panel of chairmen,
they are subjected to revoke as being delegates of National Convention.
In the case of NLD delegates, they have been absent for
two consecutive days without having prior permission from the panel of
chairmen, so the panel of chairmen revoked these delegates as delegates of
National Convention. There is no provision for a reentry of any delegates.

SLORC PRESS: EDITORIAL: NAY TO DOOMSDAYERS
August 2, 1996 (The New Light of Myanmar)

[FBIS Transcribed Text] The outcome of the ASEAN
meeting in Jakarta last month where Myanmar [Burma] was
accorded Observer status and eventual full membership was a
clear act of saying nay to doomsayers.
>From the very beginning when ASEAN was put together,
the founding fathers consulted Myanmar, as [Foreign
Minister] U Ohn Gyaw told the news briefing yesterday. They
wanted Myanmar in.

Now, as one of the emerging Asian Tigers, Myanmar is
ready to be invested among the Asia Ten. And, invest they
did, altogether repudiating the claims of doomsayers.
Ali Alatas, U Ohn Gyaw's Indonesian counterpart who
chaired the meeting would only let our Foreign Minister
state his case, built on facts and not on fantasy that the
doomsayers had been churning up. Not a single word could
further be heard from the Western camp in the hallowed
Jakarta hall of conferences.
In recalling his experience to the Information
Committees's news briefing, U Ohn Gyaw also found it fit to
bring to the attention of the Press, and through them, the
world, the fact that to the very last minute there were
attempts to interfere in Myanmar's internal affairs, sowing
distrust and dissensions the way neo-colonialists and big-
power chauvinists do.

"Our primary aim is to have dialogue and obtain
consensus among our nationalities," the Minister for Foreign
Affairs repeated his words to the Jakarta conference. That,
he said, is the ongoing National Convention where delegates
have already approved by consensus 15 Chapter headings and
104 basic principles and have also deliberated upon and
agreed on the separation of powers, plus power-sharing
between the central and States/Divisions assemblies.
National reconsolidation has been forged, he said, to
the point where differences were narrowed down and agreement
reached whereby 15 of the armed groups have come to the
embrace of the State Law and Order Restoration Council. A
bonus on that achievement was the unconditional surrender of
men led by U Khun Sa.
Although there may be those who want disorder and
street demonstrations, they are out of the question, for no
one, except the mentally deranged, would want a repeat of
the 1988 scenario.

More reassuring, Minister for Finance and Revenue Brig-
Gen Win Tin defended the economy and the banking sector.
All this proves we have delivered a resounding 'Nay' to
doomsayers wherever they are.

AFP: AMNESTY CONDEMNS BURMA HUMAN RIGHTS
August 7, 1996

Bangkok: Burma's ruling junta has targeted ethnic minorities with
forced labour, forced relocations, arbitrary detentions, extrajudicial
killings, torture and ill-treatment, Amnesty International said yesterday.

Human rights violations also affected ethnic Burmese, who
constitute the majority in Burma, and included rape, confiscation of food
and domestic animals, imposition of arbitrary taxes, and the burning of
villages, the human rights watchdog said.

The abuses continued, Amnesty said, although its Myanmar: Human
Rights Violations Against Ethnic Minorities report, to be released today,
dealt mostly with events last year in the eastern Mon and Shan States and
Tenasserim division.

Ethnic minorities have been seized to serve for arbitrary periods
as porters for the army on a widespread basis, subject to torture and
ill-treatment at the whim of soldiers who often suspected they supported
opposition groups, Amnesty reported.

"Types of ill-treatment included repeated beatings with bamboo
sticks or rifle butts, and deprivation of food, water, rest, and medical
treatment," and repeated rape, sometimes ending in the death of the
victims, the report said.

"Others... have been extrajudically killed if they attemped to
escape or were unable to carry their load," it added.

Hundreds of thousands of Burmese from virtually all ethnic groups have
also been repeatedly detained and forced to do hard labour, Amnesty said.

US STATE DEPT: NOON BRIEFING
August 6, 1996

State Department Spokesman Nicholas Burns briefed.

BURMA -- During on-the-record discussions with reporters after the
regular briefing, Burns said the United States regrets the death of
Hla Than -- an ally of democracy-activist Aung San Suu Kyi -- who died
August 2 after having been imprisoned for six years. Hla Than was
elected to parliament in 1990 elections in which the National League
for Democracy won 82 percent of the seats. Burma's military government
refused to honor the results, and parliament never convened. Burns
said Hla Than's detention was unjust in that he was being jailed only
on the grounds of his political views. According to Burns, 20 more
members of the National League for Democracy are still being held in
Burmese prisons.

BKK POST: EU  MAY REVOKE TRADE PRIVILEGES
August 7, 1996

The European Union is likely strip Burma of its preferential
tariff treatment with the grouping if an inquiry finds the ruling
regime is guilty of using forced labour, the European
Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid Emma Bonino said yesterday.

"I do think that with pressure, we have a possibility that the
European union will unanimously come up with the decision [to
scrap Burma's generalised system of preferences]."

The EU is currently conducting an enquiry into forced labour and
related issues in Burma, which is due to be completed by the end
of September.

Ms Bonino quoted Burmese prodemocracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi
telling her in Rangoon recently that elected members of her
National League for Democracy had been subjected to political
harassment. She also quoted Mrs Suu Kyi as being very keen on EU
investors placing conditions on their investments to Burma.

NATION: US FINDS FORCED LABOUR IS 3% OF BURMA'S GDP
August 7, 1996

FORCED labour accounts for approximately three per cent of
Burma's gross domestic product (GDP), according to an economic
trends report published by the US Embassy in Rangoon and received
in Bangkok yesterday.

The report, which the embassy publishes annually, paints a bleak
picture of the Burmese economy, with soaring deficits, declining
foreign investment, rising and potentially unserviceable debt,
rampant military spending and increased reliance on income from
drug trafficking.

"The state has employed growing amounts of unpaid labour,
apparently worth about three per cent of GDP in fiscal year
94/95," to build infrastructure, the report said.

Burma has been criticised by human rights groups and
international labour organisations for its use of forced labour.
'The government does not deny the practice, but instead says that
voluntary labour is a Burmese tradition.

Gen David Abel, Burma's minister for economic planning, lashed
out at the United States this past weekend, branding the report
as politically motivated and malicious.

Abel said infrastructure development could be accelerated if
Burma had access to loans from the World Bank, the International
Monetary Fund and the Asian Development Bank, but the United
States had pressured the institutions into with holding aid to
Burma. All three closed their lending windows to the country
following the violent suppression of pro-democracy demonstrations
in 1988.

The government's revenue sources are limited, the report said,
because of the enormous size of the country's black market
economy. It may be even larger than the legal economy, it said.

BKK POST: BURMA CATCHES BREWERY DEALERS OFF GUARD
August 7, 1996

Dealers for Heineken and Carlsberg beer in Burma said yesterday
they were caught by surprise when the government banned imports
of their beer.

The dealers said they were likely to suffer from the decision.

Burma's military government last night announced a retaliatory
measure banning imports of beer made by the Netherlands' Heineken
NV and Denmark's Carlsberg A/S.

Last month both brewers withdrew their investments from Burma in
apparent response to rising protests by human rights and consumer
activists.

"We all were caught by surprise, we didn't expect it at all,"
Alvin Tay, country sales and marketing manager  for Carlsberg,
said. "But  it's some thing we can do nothing about."

Mr Tay said he would send all his stocks back to Singapore and
return to Burma when imports were again permitted.

A Rangoon-based sub-distributor of Heineken, who asked not to be
named, said he could not comment on the political aspects of the
decision.

"But speaking financially, we distributors are going to suffer
the outcome the most because we have (beer) in stock," he said.
He did not give details.

The Burmese Ministry- of Finance and Revenue issued an order
saying Carlsberg or Heineken beer would be confiscated if it was
sold in restaurants or stalls.

The companies pulled out of Burma last month following intense
lobbying by human rights organisations against Burma's human
rights record and the failure of the country's military rulers to
allow a democratic government .

FBC: LONDON FOG CEASES BURMA WORK,
August 5, 1996

NEW YORK, Another major apparel firm has ceased operations in
Burma.  London Fog Industries, a $400 million manufacturer of outerwear,
confirmed today that it will not have garments in production there after this
month.

London Fog, which also owns the Pacific Trail label, joins Liz Claiborne,
Eddie Bauer, Levi Strauss, Reebok, Oshkosh B'Gosh, Macy's and Columbia
Sportswear in shunning the military dictatorship, where a popular
democracy movement has asked businesses to stay away.  European brewers
Heineken and Carlsberg both pulled out last month in response to consumer
and union pressure, which was heightened by the unexplained death in
custody of Leo Nichols, Denmark's Honorary Consul in Rangoon.

Burma's military junta, long condemned for its human rights abuses, is
under increasing economic strain.  Years of poor management, combined
with growing boycott and sanctions movements, are creating a financial
squeeze.

In a State Department report released August 1, the Burmese military is
said to account for approximately 50% of government expenditures.  The
report cites declining spending on education and health services and
falling foreign investment inflows, soaring deficits and rampant inflation
as reasons to doubt Burma's economic stability.  The generals appear to
beusing drug money to keep the economy afloat.

Contact:  Dr. Thaung Htun, National Coalition Government of the Union
of Burma, 202-393-7342
Stewart Fisher, London Fog Industries, 212-790-3000
US State Department Burma Desk, 202-647-7108

BKK POST: FISH SALES BAN TO BE LIFTED
August 7,1996
Bhanravee Tansubhapol Rangoon

Burma has agreed to lift a ban on the sale of fish to Thailand
and to enhance cooperation in the transport and energy sectors,
Foreign Minister Amnuay Viravan said yesterday.

Lt Gen Khin Nyunt, first secretary general of the ruling State
Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC), "agreed to lift the
order," against the sale of fish to Thailand during talks on
Monday night, Mr Amnuay said.

The ban had been in effect since early this year following the
deaths of three Burmese fishermen in a clash off the coast of
Ranong last August.

Mr Amnuay made the remarks after an hour-long meeting with
Burmese Prime Minister Than Shwe.

Mr Amnuay quoted the Burmese leader as saying existing bilateral
problems were small and should not affect the Thai-Burmese
relationship.

And he confirmed that Rangoon had agreed to open a checkpoint for
trade in Mae Sot "in the near future" Mr Amnuay said.

Burma earlier had linked the resumption of trade at the border to
the demarcation of their mutual frontier at the Moei River. A
dispute about the effect of construction on the flow of the river
had obstructed work on the Thai-Burmese friendship bridge.

According to Mr Amnuay, each party has now agreed to control soil
erosion on their respective sides of the river.

Among a slew of other development projects on the anvil, Burma
would like to build a road between Rangoon and Mae Sot to link
the Eastwest Corridor to Burma through Thailand Laos and Vietnam.

Burma is also interested in developing a road from Thachilek to
Chiang Tung in the north, which it is seeking a Thai loan to
finance, and a road linking Thailand, Burma and China.

And Mr Amnuay quoted Gen Than Shwe as saying Burma would like to
cooperate with Thailand to develop a sea port at Tavoy.

NATION: FESTIVAL PROMISES GLIMPSE OF BURMESE CULTURE
August 7, 1996
by Yada Saphasri

BURMESE ARTS AND CULTURE FESTIVAL
WHEN : AUG 8-10
PHOTO  EXHIBITION
WHEN : 8-14
WHERE: THE GOETHE INSTITUT, SOI ATTAKARNPRASIT
[OFF STH SATHORN ROAD].

A three-day event opening tomorrow at the Goethe Institut will
showcase the art, food and culture of Burma, as well as
highlighting the current situation in that country.

Burmese dance, drama, opera, painting, crafts and food will be
featured nightly (6-9 pm) at the Thai-German Cultural Foundation
until Saturday.

The event will be formally opened at 5.30 pm tomorrow by Dr
Gothom Arya, the academic/political activist. He will introduce
speeches by MP Suthin Noppaket, a member of the House Standing
Committee for Foreign Affairs, and Dr Naing Aung, chairman of the
All Burma Student Democracy Front.

One of the highlights of the festival will be displays of
Burmese, Mon and Shan dancing. Although sharing many
characteristics with Thai traditional dance, the Burmese version
is faster and more parts of the body are used.

The programme includes a solo Mon dance and a traditional Shan
sword dance; the Thingyan folk dance from Burma (traditionally
performed at new year celebrations); the "oil" dance from the
Burmese royal court; a male solo in which the dancer walks like a
puppet and makes flapping, bird-like movements; a male/female
love duet; and the marionette - one of the earliest
forms of Burmese dance.

Other scheduled events include a drama focusing on issues that
have affected people in Burma since the military takeover in
1962, a Burmese food and handicrafts fair, performances by a
seven-piece traditional band and an exhibition of paintings by
Sit Nyein Aye, a prominent Burmese artist now based in India.

A wide-ranging photo exhibition featuring the work of Burmese,
Thai and international photographers will run at the Goethe
Institut until Aug 14.

The opening day of the festival coincides with the eighth
anniversary of the massacre in Rangoon of an unknown number of
pro-democracy protesters by units of the Burmese military.

Organised by Burmese students living in exile in Thailand and the
Thai Action Committee for Democracy in Burma, the festival should
be a rare and enjoyable opportunity to learn about Burmese
culture as well as gaining an insight into the issues affecting
people living in that country today.

** Tickets priced at Bt188 and Bt88 (students) are available at
Nai In Bookstore (Ramkamhaeng and Tha Prachan), DK Bookstore
(Siam Square), Asia Books (Sukhumuit Sol 21) and at the Goethe
Institut. For information. telephone 286 9002-4.

STATEMENT: DEMOCRATIC ACTION PARTY (MALAYSIA)
August 8, 1996

Statement by Parliamentary Opposition Leader, DAP Secretary-General
and MP for Tanjong, Lim Kit Siang, in Petaling Jaya on Thursday, 8th
August 1996:

ASEAN governments should urge SLORC to initiate dialogue with
democracy forces and ethnic nationalities to work for Burmese
reconciliation and democratisation

On the occasion of the eighth anniversary of the popular democratic
uprising in Burma on August 8, 1988 (the 8-8-88 democratic uprising),
news on national reconciliation and democratisation in Burma  have
been  bleak and sombre.

Six days ago, another Burmese patriot and democrat, Hla Than,  lawyer
and elected MP for the main Burmese opposition, National League for
Democracy (NLD), paid the supreme price when he died  after being
jailed for six years under harsh conditions in the infamous Insein Prison
in Rangoon.

In its latest report on Human Rights Violations Against Ethnic Minorities,
Amnesty International said the Myanmese military junta, the State Law
and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) had targeted ethnic minorities
with forced labour, forced relocations, arbitrary detentions, extrajudicial
killings, torture and ill-treatment.

Human rights violations also affected ethnic Burmese, who constitute the
majority in Burma, and included rape, confiscation of food and domestic
animals, imposition of arbitrary taxes, and the burning of  villages, the
human rights watchdog said.

A few days ago, it was also reported that approximately three per cent of
Burma's GNP is derived  from unpaid labour, mostly on infrastructure and
that military spending accounts for half of total spending, pointing  to the
high costs of  governing by force rather than consent, with most adverse
consequences to human infrastructure development  especially in the field
of basic education.

ASEAN governments, which had admitted the SLORC as an ASEAN
observer pending official admission as member,  should urge SLORC to
initiate dialogue with democracy forces and ethnic nationalities to work for
Burmese reconciliation and democratisation so as to create the conditions
where Burma would have  a government with sufficient popular support to
reduce defence spending so as to be able to focus on human and economic
development of the Burmese people and nation.