A Reply From Senator Boxer of Calif

Subject: A Reply From Senator Boxer of California

                                          United States Senate
                                     Hart Senate Office Building
                                                 Suite 112
                                   Washington, D.C. 20510-0505
                                            (202) 224-3553

Barbara Boxer
California
               Committee on Enviroment and Public Works
               Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
               Committee on Budget

                                               August 9, 1996

K. Tint, Ph.D.
108 N. Hidalgo Ave #305
Alhambra, California 91801

Dear Friend:

          Thank you for writing to me to express your support for imposing
sanctions on the government of Burma.  I agree with your views on this
subject.

          As you may know, the proposed FY 97 Foreign Operations
Appropriations Bill imposed severe sanctions on the ruling government in
Burma. The State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) was established
in 1988 by the military dictatorship which has ruled Burma since 1962.
Despite numerous pledges, SLORC has failed to honor the results of the 1990
election of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. Their campaign of terror against their
political opponents has been among the most oppressive in the world.

          This sanctions proposal was included in the Committee reported
version of the bill, but it was eliminated by an amendment introduced by
Senator William Cohen. I voted for the original, stronger sanctions. Should
this issue come before the Senate in the future, I will certainly keep your
views in mind.

          Like you, I am shocked and saddened by the continued abuse of
human rights by the rulers of Burma. The international community can no
longer tolerate these blatant violations of international standards.

          Thank you very much for writing to me about this very important
matter.

                     Sincerely,

                           sd.
                           Barbara Boxer