Burma and Apple Macintosh computers (r)

Subject: Re: Burma and Apple Macintosh computers

Hi Mr. HonetO:
Welcome to BurmaNet. I was alarmed by unusual argument about Computer Systems
which started with the sentence:

>Perhaps the true graphics interface of Apple Macintosh is good for Myanmar.
>Converting the system software to handle Burmese characters is easier than
>IBM compatible ...

It sounds like you have expert knowledge on Computer Operation Systems. Would
you please briefly tell me how do the Mac and PC handle the fonts we are
using?  Do you have any Burmese language based Mac OS now or within 5 years?
Or, have you ever use a System Switcher with that?. Or just a Kit?

>Converting the system software to handle Burmese characters is easier than
>IBM compatible ...

Many of my friends prefer to use PCs than Macs in their daily DTP works for
Burmese language publications. What do you think about this real world in
terms of your technical argument?

>IBM compatible which is, in case you don't know, is based on ASCII (read
>English.)

Sorry, I cannot read ASCII as English. You probably had a wrong teacher who
forced everybody to read ASCII as English. Do you really think codes and
languages are comparable?

>Since English is not the mother tongue (tongue-in-cheek) of Burmese (or
>Myanmarese), a graphics computer that is famously easy to learn and use is
>good for Burma.

Sir, are you  really confident with  the basics of Macintosh computer? I
suggest you to give other better and clear examples if you wish to emphasize
ease of use of the Macs.

I do not think it is appropriate to discuss more about computers here in the
BurmaNet.  (But you can do reply if you wish because this is a free place to
post anything!). To avoid disturbing others, I invite you to continue talking
about computer operating systems through my email address <hhk@xxxxxxxx>,
lamg = Los Angeles Macintosh Group.

_Instead, how about a debate of the following facts:_

I do mot believe that there was a technical choice for selling Apple
computers in Burma. However, I am so sorry to learn that poor parents of high
school students in Burma are FORCED to buy Mac computers and all these
expensive black boxes are locked permanently in an old dark rooms at the high
schools where electricity supply is absolutely unreliable if not unavailable.
Apple or IBM will make no difference in such a place. Moreover, Apple Burma
has no real interest to sell its products to the Universities simply because
the number of Universities is much much smaller than the number of high
schools. You may agree that it is not that easy to force University students
to buy Apple computers. Also, SLORC will not let University students play and
communicate with Computers.

Therefore, I would like to tell Apple Computer that I am no more loyal to
Apple since you are doing dirty business in Burma.

Sincerely,

Kyaw Tint