Support Aung San Suu Kyi

>From dkhin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Aug 19 17:55:00 1996
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 13:55:03 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Support Aung San Suu Kyi

This article was written by Saw Aung Khin, a Karen who
resides in Seattle, Washington, in support of Aung San Suu Kyi.

	I have been keeping track of political development of Burma
for some time but until now I can not find common ground between Aung
San Suu Kyi, NLD and the SLORC. Dialogue for negotiation of
reconciliation between these parties has not taken place yet.  Due to
her determination and relentless efforts in pursuing of peace, the
charismatic leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been awarded the NOBEL PEACE
PRIZE.  As she is a great leader, I would like to review a few of her
characters and qualification.

EDUCATION:	She obtained her education in the West and is a
highly educated OXFORD GRADUATE.

VERY BRAVE:	During peaceful demonstration in 1988 when SLORC
TROOPS mowed down demonstrators with machine guns she was also on
street with her fellow countrymen.  When the troops aimed their guns
at them, she brushed aside her followers and exposed herself for a
good and clear target.  She has demonstrated clearly her sacrifices
and act of valor for her countrymen.  Fortunately, she was not shot
or Burma will lose a precious leader.

VERY HONEST:	She is not ashamed of exposing the poverty and
sufferings of her countrymen and of course herself too.  A person of
her stature who has been living in a house with a leaking roof and
without a car to move around in the city.  She wrote about how hard
it is for the ordinary family to put decent food on the table while
SLORC is boasting that Burma's economy is growing at certain and
certain rates.  The people have become poor not because they are lazy
and unproductive, but because SLORC has robbed the fruits of their
hard earned labor.  Fixed salaried employees' earnings cannot catch
up with the spiraling inflation.  Furthermore, farmers cannot sell
their products in light of quotas they have to meet first and sell
them to the government at low fixed rates.  The government, in turn,
sell the products abroad to get hard currency to buy military hard
wares.  There is no government in the world that robs her people of
the fruits of their hard earned labor.  Only SLORC did.

VERY DUTIFUL:	She grew up and had her education abroad.  At that
time, she might not have thought about getting involved in Burma
politics, but when she came back to Burma to attend her ailing mother
she saw and experienced the sufferings and fear of her countrymen.
She obeyed the peoples' mandate and accepted the challenge of leading
them when demanded by the Burmese people.  She could have enjoyed a
comfortable life with her husband and two sons in the West, but she
chose to stay in Burma to bear and endure the torments of the SLORC
-- physically, mentally and emotionally.

EXCELLENT
COMMUNICATOR:	By her writings many countries in the world have come
to know more about the true situation in Burma and have focused more
of their attentions on Burma politics.  On the other hand, SLORC
generals have never written about the true situation in Burma,
probably they cannot write.  They depend on their mouth piece news
papers to attack Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her party, NLD, some times
with harsh words and other times with sarcasm.  At home also she
communicates well with her people.  They are hungry to see her and
listen to her speech.  Therefore, in spite of danger and harassment
from the authority, they brave and flock to her lake side home to
hear her week end speech.

VERY PATRIOTIC
AND VERY
DETERMINED:	She identifies herself with the oppressed people so
much that she has become the sore eyes of the SLORC.  First, SLORC
placed her under house arrest.  Then SLORC politely informed her that
she is free to go if she chooses to leave the country.  A little more
than a year ago, due to outside pressure SLORC released her from
house arrest and the world is waiting and expecting to see some kinds
of dialogue and negotiation for reconciliation.  Until now nothing
has happened.  Again, SLORC tried to oust her out of political arena
by inserting a clause in the new draft constitution that would
disqualify her for being married to a foreigner.  Her party NLD then
pulled out of the assembly headed by the SLORC.  As her party members
are the majority of parliamentary representatives, elected by the
people, they have the right to draft the constitution.  When Aung San
Suu Kyi tried to call party congress meeting, SLORC arrested more
than 250 of her party members and representatives, prior to the
meeting.  Not long after that, SLORC issued decree that will restrict
and penalize party members for their activities.  Nothing of the
above mentioned actions taken by the SLORC deter Suu Kyi from
carrying out her duties and identify herself with the people.
Recently, through its mouth piece SLORC attacked her again that she
is not patriotic due to her marriage to a foreigner, whose race had
plotted and killed her national hero father and other national
leaders.  SLORC has tried every possible mean to alienate the people
from Suu Kyi and I doubt that will be the last ones.  The people of
Burma have suffered enough and also they are getting tired of
Authoritarian rule.  They really want change and that is a
democratically elected government.  They see Suu Kyi as a true leader
who will salvage them from fear and poverty and they embrace her for
leadership.  Regarding her marriage to a foreigner and unpatriotic as
the SLORC claims, I think it is only racism in disguise of
patriotism.  The world has seen enough of racism that lead to
destruction in World War II, Germany and recently, in Bosnia.  Why
does SLORC want to apply racism when creation of global village in
the future is a possibility.  Of course that may be their last resort
at present to try to alienate Suu Kyi from her beloved people.
However hard SLORC tried to get rid of her Suu Kyi is still
determined and I believe, as she accepted the challenge, she will do
her utmost best for the people beyond the call of duty.

		Well, let me focus my discussion on another related
issue.  "How Totalitarian Rule or Military Dictatorship started in
Burma."  In 1962, General Ayub Khan who ruled Pakistan was invited to
visit Burma.  During his visit General Ne Win had long discussion
with him.  We did no know what topic was in the agenda, but what we
know was not long after General Ayub Khan left, General Ne Win took
over power in Burma.  General Ayub Khan ruled Pakistan for a short
time and stepped down due to political unrest in Pakistan.  Then
another General, General Zia al Haq took over again.  General Zia al
Haq ruled Pakistan for quite a while but due to popular demand and
people's mandate Benazir Bhutto has become the Prime Minister of
modern Pakistan.  Pakistan has prospered  and has advanced in science
and technology while Burma lags behind and the ruler Generals are
struggling to hang on with their military dictatorship rule.
Pakistan has already advanced to possess nuclear weapon, but I wish
to see Burma has advanced in science and technology.  Burma do not
need to built too large an army and let her people become half
starved.  What Burma really need is serious negotiation for true
reconciliation and lasting peace.  SLORC has the opportunity, but
fail to grab it.

		Another thing is, regrettably ASEAN see SLORC as
stable Government and their advocates even go farther to say that
opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi cannot rule and if  SLORC step
down Burma will become another Bosnia.  That accusation is I would
say "NONSENSE".    When the people of Burma have been oppressed by
the Japanese Military Regime, the people in Burma from all walks of
life and all ethnic groups united together and fought back the
fascist regime.  It was through the support of the people of Burma
that when the allied troops reoccupied Burma they encountered few
resistances.  During the SLORC troops offensive at the last Karen
Headquarters, all the Burmese students and the opposition forces
fought side by side with the Karens.  The people of Burma have
learned from many experiences and therefore the projection that Burma
will become another Bosnia by ASEAN advocate is unfounded.  Only
SLORC is the one who apply, divide and rule policy.  The name SLORC
signify State Law and Order Restoration Council, but ironically they
do not rule the country by law.  What they can rule is by decrees and
orders, to serve their purposes.  In all the civilized world, the
proposed law has become law only after serious discussion and debate
in the legislature and decision being made.  It takes a while before
the law can be promulgated.  But the law of the SLORC is different.
It take only, maybe, a few hours or day to promulgate the law.  Just
see how fast the law to restrict and penalize opposition party
members is being promulgated.  That kind of low is meant only to
serve the purpose of the SLORC.  The people have no choice but to
obey that law whatever purposes it may be or they will be severely
punished.

		In conclusion, I would like to say to Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi, "Daw Suu, you are the true leader of the people of Burma and
I truly believe that you will eventually prevail to win their freedom
from bondage, fear and sufferings.  I wish you good health and I pray
that God Bless you abundantly and bestow with the wisdom that will
enable you to lead your people to freedom.

		To the SLORC, I earnestly pray that God will touch
them to change their hearts and have mercy on the people who have
been suffering so much for so long.

				Saw Aung Khin
				Seattle, Washington
				August 19, 1996