Q & A From SLORC's press conf. on S

Subject: Q & A From SLORC's press conf. on Sep 2 (fwd)

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS FROM SLORC'S PRESS CONFERENCE IN RANGOON.
soc.culture.burma
Subject: Press Conference, Part 2 of 2,  2nd Sep 1996, Yangon, Myanmar.
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 1996 17:02:14 GMT

The State Law and Order Restoration Council Information Committee
News Briefing
2nd Sep 1996,
Yangon, Myanmar.

Part  2 of 2

1.=09(U Sein Win, Kyodo)=09correspondent referring to the
report carried by Bangkok Post (August 21st) that Mayanmar
government has officially allowed former Mong Tai Army soldiers to
grow opium poppies in Homong. Asked for comments. In reply
( Col Kyaw Thein) categorically stated that the report was false.
Such baseless allegation were the work of some biased Western
countries. They are trying to pressure Myanmar by spreading
alligation and threatening to apply and embargoes under the pretext
of democracy and human rights. The drugs issue is now being used
to discredit Myanmar. Their objective is to install a puppet regime in

the country.

(2)=09U Hla Htwe, Nihon Keizai Shimbum, correspondent
enquired  about the location of the political defiance training course

and whether the Government was to decide the NLD an illegal
organization, as the expatriate NLD Groups and the legally-
organized NLD have been making concerted moves to destabilize
the situation.

=09Colonel Kyaw Thein replied that the last course was held in
KNU Sakhan Thit camp situated along the Thai-Myanmar border
area (south of Myawaddy township). Courses were also held in
New Delhi and along the Thai-Myanmar border. I referring to the
IRI annual report he pointed out photograph of students groups
who completed Political Defiance training course in New Delhi. He
also called attention to remarks of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the
 absconder Sein Win of the NCGUB in the IRI publication. He said
appropriate measures will be taken if and when required.

=09U Maung Maung (Ji Ji) asked whether the grand welcomed
accorded to the state visit of Senior General Than Shwe by
Malaysian Leader can be interpreted as unreserved rejection by
Malaysia of the policy advocated by some western governments
particularly by the United States to isolate Myanmar?

=09U Ohn Gyaw replied that as indicated by Malaysian Prime
Minister Mahathir to the press in Kuala Lumpur, he personally
looked forward to the inclusion of Myanmar in the ASEAN. He has
a deeper understanding of  what is going on in Myanmar following
the exchange of views with Myanmar leaders. There are
encouraging signs, that Dr Mahathir as one of the region would like
to do whatever he could to assist in promoting economic
cooperation with Myanmar. Even though specific agreement was
made, Myanmar has been able to establish a very close relationship
with Malaysia. Subsiquent comments made Dr.Mahathir confirms
this .
=09James Pringle of the Times of London asked whether
Myanmar authorities have taken cognizance of the fact that
ex-President Chun Doo Hwan of ROK has been sentenced to
death for his role in the shooting of students in Kwanju and whether
 they were aware that in the future perhaps members of the State
Law and Order Restoration Council may face charges of possible
crimes against humanity. In the view of that and in your own interest,

should the Myanmar Government not now begin dialogue with Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi to discuss its own future when democracy is
restored.

=09U Ohn Gyaw replied that the question was not relevant. It
was real personal speculation.

=09U Hla Htwe (Nihon Keizai Shimbum) asked two questions.
 He said at the press conference, last Saturday, Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi stated that among the foreign firms investing in Myanmar quite a
number of them were immoral. Accordingly, the benefits and profits
accrued from them have gone only to immoral people. He asked for
comments on that. The Second question posed was that at the same
press conference DASSK stated that beginning from 1993, the
market economic system in Myanmar has used being an open-door
economic system. It has become a system monopolized by the
government. The Union of Myanmar Economic Holdings Limited
has come to own a large slice of the economy and has monopolized
it. Is this true and to what extent the Union of Myanmar Economic
Holdings Limited owns economic enterprises in Myanmar. What
percentage does it hold. According to her we have turned from free
enterprise to a government monopolized economic system based on
monopoly by the government.

=09Brig-Gen.Abel in replying to the question stated that if Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi said that quite a number of foreign firms investing
in Myanmar are not proper that they were operating only for profit
motive and that these funds were beneficial only to the companies
and certain groups, it was a very serious statement. It was a very
serious statement because it had both legal as well as social
implications to the investors concerned. If such statements were
made, the directly to the people concerned they have the right to
defend themselves legally. That is those investing in Myanmar are
well-known internationally. The majority of them were public listed
companies in various countries. To regard the second question, the
market system was preceeding well. In 1988, 96% of economy was
controlled by the State and 4% by the  co-operatives. Today, 76%
of the GDP was controlled by the private sector. 22 % was in the
State sectors and 2% in the co-operatives. We have started on the
privatization programme for the remaining 22%. That clearly should
that the market system was working very well. The private sector
controled 55% of all exports from the country. We must also look at
 the initiative to shape the national economy must be kept in the
hands of
the State and national peoples. Every country would do
that and also if you look at the third objective.

=09The development of the economy inviting participation in
terms of technical know-how and investments from sources inside
the country and abroad clearly should that it is not monopolized by
investors from within the country and abroad. He stressed that the
Economic Holdings was also a private company under the special
Company Act.

=09Any other organization which tries as hard as the Economic
Holdings could do just as well.

(Q)=09Mr Robert Horn (the Associated Press) asked to precisely
what political defiance was and what were the subversive acts that
they were preparing to commit to blowing bridges or assassinate
SLORC leaders could you enlighten us to this?

(A)=09Col Kyaw Thein replied that as he did not attend the
political defiance course he didn=92t know the real meaning of what
political defiance was suppose to be. However, among the charts
presented there was a document in Myanmar explaining the political
defiance activities. There is also an English version has written by
Jean Sharp.

=09The real intention he thought was to disrupt the peace and
stability inside the country to incite some people who didn=92t have
much knowledge about the situation in the country. They have
formed this specific group or the specific training because they=92d
like they expected these sort things to happen in the future. So, in
order to made our government to deal with these things than other
making development works for our country.

(Q)=09Robert Hon (AP) also asked. If the subversive acts were
non-violence and your government says it is committed to bringing
forth the genuine multi-party democracy, in most multi-party
democracies there is a place for non-violent protest. Why if these
acts are non-violents...why are they not allowed under the system
you are trying to bring forward? and secondly, you said they were
trying to incite people who inside the country who maynot know the
 touth about what=92s going on her but your government completely
controls the media.

(A)=09You have to define quite clearly what is non-violent and
what are violent means. The situation of 1988, started with a simple
demonstration. It nearly resulted in devastation of our country. A lot

of chaos and anarchy occurred in the past. We starting from such
simple demonstration have learned this lesson and we didn=92t want
up to experience the adverse situation.

=09At present, leaders of our country, have set priorities to
develop the country and turn it into a new democratic state, a more
developed state than in the past. Priority is being given to economic
 changes .

=09Priorities has been given to raising the living standard of all
the hard working people inside country. With this in view, we are
concentrating our efforts to improve the basic needs and the
economic reform that are needed. In the mean time, any hinderance
of these efforts must be checked. Sometimes under the pretence of
human rights and democracy, things can go bad for our country. We
cannot allow these to happen.

(Q)=09Gary P.Thomas (Voice of America)
=09Has any thought been given to opening up trials to public
scrutiny or to Press scrutiny? The recent trials of the people who
will just sentenced were held in secret. No one knew about the
verdict. Has any thought been given to opening up trials to public
viewing?

(A)=09Col Kyaw Thein replied that the trials, have been held
according to the law. The government  will continue to do that. He
did not know whether these sort of trials will be opened to the
public.

(Q)=09Deborah Charles (Reuters) commented that. Since May
there had been an increase in the number of arrests and prison
sentences. Why was these an increase? The National League for
Democracy is saying that you the government was trying to crush
the democracy movement and the opposition. Is that true or not? If
not what exactly was the reason for making it tougher for the
legitimately recognized NLD from doing its activities..normal party
activities?

(A)=09Col Kyaw Thein replied that appropriate measure were
taken concerning the activities of some NLD members. If the
flowcharts were analysed, it could be observed that some of the
NLD members were quite heavily involved in unlawful activities.
Accordingly they have been dealt according to the law. And that
was why some of the NLD members were being put on trial  and
given sentences.

=09It was not the Government's intention to give all these NLD
 members a difficult time. It was their own doing. These members
actually communicated and contacted the NLD expatriate groups
which absconded to foreign countries. Those are unlawful acts
according to our law. He said the Government was only doing what
it needed to do.

(Q).=09(Deborah Charles) said that there were 262 arrested in
May and an additional 61 since May. She thought Several dozen
have been sentenced since then. Her understanding was they were
not sentenced because of their connection to the expatriate groups.

(A).=09(Colonel Kyaw Thein) responded that she might have the
wrong information concerning the 262 NLD members. As explained
clearly in the news media some NLD members were called upon to
answer questions and subsequently freed. Some NLD members
who committed unlawful acts were put on trial. May be 20 or 30
people, but not 260.

(Q).=09(Deborah Charles) 20 or 30 from the 260 were put on trial?

(A).=09(Colonel Kyaw Thein) Yes... and these who have been put
on trial ..... it has already been published in our newspapers.

(Q).=09(Robert Horn... AP) Colonel... you said your trials were
held according to Burmese Law. But your opponents have been
complaining of mid-night arrests with no warrants. That people have
not had access to lawyers and in the case of U Win Htein, he asked
his Police Officer for a warrant and was told we already know what
your sentence is. And also that families have not been informed of
where about of their relatives who have been arrested and what the
 sentences are.

(A).=09What these persons have quoted is that the police officer
who had arrested U Win Htein had stated this sort of things but
actually they haven't put this up with the actual evidence. Whether
this person, this official had actually stated that or not. With
regard
to U Win Htein's trial it was reported in the newspapers and it has
been clearly explained why he was sentenced.

(Q).=09All these prisoners who have been put on trial, have they
had access to lawyers for their trial?

(A).=09Yes.

(Q).=09I'm Philip Mc Clellan from AFP. Of all the people who have
been arrested there remain a number of people who haven't been
sentenced or even charged.

=09Could you tell us what charges these people have been held
on? When do you think that they might be tried and what sentences
are they facing?

(A).=09Well... I'm not a legislator so I don't know much about
under to what act they will be charged. But what I know is that at
present , there are some people who are under trial and not being
sentenced yet.

=09I don't know the exact number but there may be a few
people still under trial.

(Q).=09I'm Jun Kamimura from Kyodo News.What was the
subversive action the NLD group was doing? I understood
distributing any anti-government leaflets and any political defiance
is regarded as subversive action. Is that correct?

(A).=09Yes. Partly.

(Q).=09So, I'd like to ask what at this moment the NLD is allowed
to do? They can do nothing at this moment as a political activity?

(A).=09Well ... they are doing every weekend... they are speaking
to the people in front of their gate. In that case we are not taking
any action but as I have stated some appropriate measures will be
taken if and when require.

(Q).=09I understand... the Myanmar Government is heading
towards multi-parties system... so when the time comes will it
change or there will be no change during the provisional period to
 multi-party system?

(A).=09Our ultimate aim is to make this country a new multi-party
 democratic state. This is the main aim of this government.... This is

a transitional period. So the aim is to go to that state.

(Q).=09So only after the multi-party system will be established..
they will allow a bit more freedom of activities?

(A).=09To be able to achieve that aim, we have been laying down
steps. The first step we are now in is the process of trying to draw
up a new constitution. That we are holding a National Convention.
This is what we are doing to reach that aim.

(Q)=09If I can ask you just one more question. How many years
does it take? We would like to know at least roughly two-three
years time or five-four years time?

(A) =09(U Thaung Nyunt) We have not set up a time frame yet
when this National Convention will finish and when our new draft
constitution will be drawn up. We don't have the time frame yet. But
as every body has explained I think most of the important chapters
needed to be discussed in the National Convention had already
been finished. Now we are discussing later when we reopen the
National Convention in the near future we will be discussing the
remaining chapters. As most of the important chapters have been
finished, I think the remaining chapters may not take that long to
finish.

(Q).=09Some ASEAN countries, the officials from ASEAN
countries are talking about the possibility that until next July when
Myanmar will become a full member that problem will become
clearer than now. Is it the case?

(A)=09(U Ohn Gyaw) Now the procedure of the ASEAN working
 schedule is such that before country becomes a full member, it has
to obtain observer status.  The observer status is decided at the
Ministerial meeting recommended or proposed by the senior
officials' meeting because they have a Standing Committee . And after
gaining
observer status, any country can apply for full
membership. And there is no condition whatsoever  to be fulfilled.
There is no restriction, no condition. But the  application will be
discussed and adopted by a decision of the  Ministerial meeting .
Every July , they have this AMM meeting.  We have after obtaining
observer status,  expressed in writing  our desire to become a  full
member, mentioning that whatever the decisions made by the
ASEAN in the past 29 years, we are agreeable to them. This is  the
only thing that we need to mention  in the application. Automatically
they will initiate discuss by distributing the  letters to the
respective
Foreign Ministers of the ASEAN countries. And of course, they will
express their views. But you have to keep in mind that ASEAN
operates  on  consensus. I would like to put the record straight
regarding your question and few questions raised before. What was
 the disturbance and the subversive activities and  what was the
criteria ? In the law that was issued on 7th of June 1996, paragraph
3(c) mentions that the prohibitions disturbing, destroying,
obstructing , inciting, delivering speeches, making oral or written
statements and disseminating in order to undermined, belittle and
make people misunderstand the functions being  carried out by the
National Convention for the  emergence  of a firm and enduring
constitution.

(Q)=09U Ohn Gyaw, if your government can sit down and have
dialogue and  talk with armed ethnic groups and insurgents  against
your country, why cannot your government sit down  and have
dialogue with the non-violent political party such as the National
League for Democracy ?

(A)=09(U Ohn Gyaw) The dialogue has started , I have mentioned
a few times already. The dialogue has started in 1993 when the
Convention was first convened , Only last year,  the word dialogue
 has become current and that while throwing away the opportunity
 for the dialogue with individual there is no chance for dialogue.

(Q)=09U Ohn Gyaw, I have spoken to official representatives of
two ethnic groups who have had ceasefires with your government
since 1989 and who are attending  the National Convention. They
both complained to me that there is no dialogue at the National
Convention. And they were only permitted to observe, not to make
suggestions or to debate anything that the government puts forward
to the constitution. Is that true dialogue and will you expect this
constitution to endure if it is put forward in that  way?

(A)=09(U Ohn Gyaw) My surmise is that you put words in their
mouths and then whatever they say you take that as an answer. The
Convention is conducted after consultation with political parties,
intellectuals and the procedure were adopted and there are Standing
 Committees. In order to have a consensus, you know  how the
ASEAN works, you  know how any other forum works, you must
have some group discussion first. You are simply thinking to stand
up and say adverse things, stand up and object. That is the way the
Convention should be conducted. It is not our way. It is not the
Asian way. We have not yet  established democracy.

(Q )=09U Ohn Gyaw, I just want to say that I have not put words in
their mouths and only relaying to you what they have said to me .
But I accept your answer.

(Q) =09Cimeon Gilding , First Secretary with the Australian
Embassy. I have two rather procedural questions. My first question
 is following on from the discussion on the National Convention.
When can we expect the National Convention to  reconvene and
my second question follows on from the observation that we have a
 new special repporteur on human rights in Myanmar  appointed by
 the Commission on Human Rights. Could the Foreign Minister give
 us some indications when we might expect a visit form the special
repporteur. Thank you.

A=09(U Ohn Gyaw) The National Convention business will be
dealt with by U Thaung Nyunt. But before he comes, I want to
explain to you that as far as the repporteur is concerned, there are
two forums. One is called , the Human Rights Commission in
Geneva. That Human Rights Commission is composed not of
country representatives but of distinguished citizens and some
members. So the sovereign country  cannot accept whatever they
decide. We communicated to the Commission that prior
consultation should we conduct before you appoint the repporteur.
 But they didn't do it. So, we categorically rejected that we cannot
 accept. But we are dutiful member of the United Nations, and we
will at an appropriate time cooperate if certain overtures are made
regarding the visit of the rapporteur or anybody. We are not
obligated by virtue of the fact that the Human Rights Commission
has appointed a person. He will come to you. You must accept .
No, this is not the way the United Nations is operating. So, this is
the first answer to your question. For the National Convention , U
Thaung
Nyunt , please.

(A)=09(U Thaung Nyunt) Regarding the resumption of the National
Convention, as you all are aware our National Convention
Convening Commission is now under preparation for the resumption
of the Convention. The next subject for the National Convention to
be discussed is very important. It  relates  to the power sharing.
Power sharing means the sharing of powers relating to Legislature,
Executive and Judiciary. For that , our Commission is now under
preparation. If that is ready, the resumption will be made , though I
cannot say the exact date of the resumption. That will be my
answer.

(Q)=09(U Hla Htway) Last Saturday,  again I have to refer to the
press conference by  Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. She has described
the conditions  in jails as very poor and very bad and that diseases
such as  tuberculosis, HIV positive, these diseases have been
rampant. She  said she referred to the case of U Hla Than of Coco
Island who died on 2nd August saying that that was the result of the
 rampant spread of diseases in jails and that was also the result of
using only one syringe for many prisoners inside jails. Is that true?

(A)=09Colonel Ye Htut ( answer in Myanmar)
=09(Translated by U Thoung Htun of MOFA)
=09In order to respond to U Hla Htwe's question, we need
perhaps to go back to the background of this situation. You will
recall that U Hla Than was imprisoned back in 1991 on the 30 of
April, 1991. Action  was taken against him in accordance with the
law under section 122/1 of the Penal Code and he was sentenced
to 25 years.

=09Then , In 1996 while he was in the prison it was discovered
that he was ill. He was given  treatment in the prison hospital. He
was hospitalised and given treatment. Subsequently his situation
deteriorated and in July of 1996 he was transferred to the Yangon
General Hospital, that is five years after he was first sentenced to
prison. At the Yangon General Hospital tests  were performed.
Urine and saliva samples were taken. And it was determined that he
suffered from AIDS-HIV positive. When it was discovered that he
contracted AIDS he was given treatment in the hospital . His family
was allowed to visit him, and he was attended by his family.
Unfortunately, he passed away on the first of August, 1996.

=09U Hla Htwe in his question has raised the issue of the use of
a single needle by many prisoners in the jail. However, according  to
the medical knowledge that has been disseminated we are given to
understand that the incubation period for AIDS is round about ten
years. And it is likely that he may have contracted the HIV virus
some time ago and nobody can determine when he actually
contracted  the HIV virus. In the West the HIV -positive patients
usually find themselves with other complications such as pneumonia.
In Myanmr these patients mostly have bowel disorders such as
diarrhoed , dysentery and sometimes  tuberculoses. In the case of U
Hla Than, he was determined to have contracted  tuberculosis. And
he passed away as a result of his illness. If the allegations of the
spread of HIV in the prisons were to be true , and if the allegations
that a single needle was passed around in the prison and that U Hla
Than contracted  that disease through the needle, what would be the
explanation for the  rest of these who are still in prisons?

=09Have they all contracted the disease?
=09In reality, the allegations do not hold any water and U Hla
Than passed away because of his own illness.

(Q)=09(Mr. Simon Beardsell of WTN) =09I 've a question for Mr. U
Ohn Gyaw.... From the list of  politically  subversive acts that you
have read out before, Aung San Suu Kyi is  probably the most
publicly defiant of all these things, why don't you rearrest her
instead
of arresting all the people around her...

(A). I have read out to you the prohibitions, Action has been taken
against those people who  transgress the law . It is not for acts in
the
compound but for what they are doing in public.

(Q)=09I'm steve Brookes from Asia Times. I'm interested in asking
a couple of questions about relations  with the United States, I think

the Colonel mentioned before that some Americans have been
involved in distribution of pamphlets and  running the political
defiance campaign. Have you made any kind of formal complaint to
the United States and if so what is their response then and the other
question is the ...it looks like the  current sanctions amendment is
going to be discussed in conference in Washington this week and it
looks like  it may be passed into law.

=09Does the threat of sanctions against Myanmar from United
States have any affect on the actions the government will be taking
 in future with regard to the members of the NLD?

(A).  As far as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is concerned
whenever we receive or are advised of  foreigners doing something
wrong or against the law, we would, in the consular Department,
call to the attention of the  Embassy concerned. At the same  time, if

any foreigner, be he a tourist or simply a visitor , if he  has
trangressed the law, the police will arrest him and will report to us.

So far, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not yet received  any
complain. If  we receive complaint we will  definitely communicate
with the Embassy  concerned.

=09Sanctions are  not the concern of our country. You know
very well that in your country even though a bill is passed it. Does
not become a law  immediately .

=09Only when the President has signed it . It will become a law.
Only when it becomes law, then actions can be taken. I take this is
the problem of your country not ours.

Q=09(Bobert Horn AP...) Your country has made significant
progress towards market economy but you held the press
Conference last month in which you said that military spending was
only 8 to 10 per cent of the government  budget. However,
according to the recent World Bank report where the  figures are
supplied by the source of your own government budget department
military spending has risen since 1989 form 31% of the  budget to
46% of the budget while spending on social services such as
education, health-care has declined from 32% to 22%. Do you still
maintain that the defence budget is only 8 to 10 % and secondly,
can you sustain development with the increasing military budget of
this size while spending on schools and hospitals is decreasing and
one last question is if the armed insurgency is apparently ending
what is the need for such as large increase in military budget?

(A).=09( Brig. Gen. Abel ) I gave a Press conference on the third of
August and that question was asked. I said that Myanmar has always
adopted an
open look. Policy towards the IMF, World
Bank and the ADB and Bretton Woods Institutions on our Article 4
consultations. What they have taken from the books and what they
 have reported I don't know.

=09But if you analyze our figures that are published  and made
available public or to anybody who wants to read it, you can see
quite clearly that the budget spending is between 8 to 12%.

=09As to the budget concerning the social sector, if you study
the report the budget law that we promulgate every year and also
on the Financial, Social and Economic Report that we publish every
year which is now out in English, you will see that spending on the
social sector has increased substantially. So it doesn't tally with
the
report at all. You say that if the budget... if we spend too much on
defence, what effects will it have on social spending. We are not
spending that much and we are enhancing the social sector
spending.. I think that is the answer.

(Q).=09Do you mean that World Bank report is in accurate?

(A).=09I wouldn't say inaccurate but it is their interpretation....
of our
figures.... we've given the right set of figures. It is their
interpretation.

(Q).=09( U Sein Win ) Kyodo The Economic development
Minister, please...Would you please explain a little bit about the
 recent economic report by the American Embassy on Myanmar?

(A).=09Well... on that situation also I called, a quick Press
Conference on the second August, I think you were present there. I
explained the report and as you know this report had been
circulated by the American Embassy and in the first page it says quite

clearly  and it is quite absurd also. I'll read it out to you.
=09This is written by Ms.  Myers , Charge d' Affaires.
" Please find a copy of this year's version well..we only received
this
year's version we didn't receive other versions at all. And in the
forward of this report, in the first paragraph it says that this
report is
a public document prepared in June 1996 and issued in July 1996
one  month to issue this report by the American Embassy in Yangon.
All statistics in this report are unofficial Embassy estimates, not
official US Government statistics unless otherwise specified.

=09So that is quite clear ... this is an unfficial estimate. And
when you read through this report, you can say that..it is politically

slanted. It is not an economic report at all. And there are so many
points to be contended So many points to be contended after
analyzing the report. But the worst thing is you know you can see
how politically slanted it is if you read the report the executive
summary fist page para two sub-small para three line 40 which says
 that the export of opium alone appearred to be worth about as
much as all legal exports. Now from where does that figure come
from.... who gave the figure of opium export from Myanmar?

=09And that is only one paragraph I'm talking about. There are
more than 24 points that can be contended, even more. So I'll say
that you know that this report is politically slanted. It is written
to...
create unpleasentness or doubt in the minds of the people, to cast a
cloud on the economic achievements of the government. When
earlier my good friend referred to the World Bank report and the
IMF report when we have our article on full consultations every
year and they clearly recognized the economic growth of the
country, etc.etc... I think this is politically fabricated or you know
it
is a politically slanted.

(Q)=09I am Nippon Television correspondent, U Aung Shwe Oo.
I would like to know are latest situation of direct foreign investment

in Myanmar. Think you.

(A)=09(Brig-Gen. Abel) The latest up to 31-8-96 that is just
yesterday. There are altogether 204 projects to the total value of
4.3 billions US Dollars in ten sectors. Thank you.

(Q)=09U Maung Maung (Ji Ji) =09Biggest share of this investment, I
mean in terms
of value.

(A)=09(Brig-Gen. Abel)   In terms of value at present Singapore. =09
(Q)=09Deborach Charles -  Can you tell me how much of that is
actually invested from what I understand?

(A)=09(Brig-Gen. Abel) - Yes, these are actual contracted amount.

(Q)=09Deborach  -=09Are these approved contracts?  Or are
these actually all in that amount of money is actually.........

(A)=09(Brig-Gen. Abel) - This is just the basic figure that is
quoted
in the contract. We have not put in additional soft costs or
additional
costs that has been added on to the project. For instance, when we
signed the Trader's Hotel, it was to be built for 50 million dollars.
But today, we understand that it costs them about 72 million dollars.
We have not added on soft cost and things like that.

(Q)=09Deborach  - So, that is the actual money that actually come
into Myanmar.

(A)=09(Brig-Gen. Abel) - That is actual, the actual signed amount.

(Q)=09Deborach  - Have all those people have all those companies
 actually started the project.

(A)=09(Brig-Gen. Abel) - Yes, Yes. All 204 started.