BurmaNet News September 6, 1996

---------------------------------BurmaNet-----------------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: September 6, 1996
Issue #508

Noted in Passing:
		Sometimes under the pretence of human rights and democracy,
		things can go bad for our country. We cannot allow these to
		happen - Col Kyaw Thein (see: SLORC INFO. COMMITTEE:
		SLORC'S PRESS CONFERENCE)
HEADLINES:
==========
NATION: UNOCAL SAYS SUIT WILL NOT HINDER BURMESE PROJECT
KNU REPORT: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS IN TAUNGOO DISTRICT
SLORC INFO. COMMITTEE: SLORC'S PRESS CONFERENCE
US EMBASSY RANGOON: FOREIGN ECONOMIC TRENDS - BURMA
MDN: MAINICHI WINS AWARD FOR BURMA COLUMN
BKK POST: FEASIBILITY STUDY ON BURMA LINK
BKK POST: KHUN SA DAUGHTER FREED
ANNOUCEMENT: BLOOD BEAT CD - MUSIC AND HUMAN RIGHTS
----------

NATION: UNOCAL SAYS SUIT WILL NOT HINDER BURMESE PROJECT
September 5, 1996

SINGAPORE - United States oil and gas company Unocal Corp said
yesterday that its joint venture natural gas project in Burma was
unaffected by a lawsuit filed by the self-described Burmese
government-in-exile and pledged it would remain on schedule.

"Everything is on schedule," a spokeswoman with Unocal
Asia-Pacific Ventures Ltd said in Singapore yesterday.

She said the onshore pipeline construction would begin in
November as scheduled and drilling for more reserves was in
progress. The company and its partners discovered a potentially
significant new gas field in March.

Unocal Corp is a partner in the project, the largest foreign
investment project in the South Asian nation, along with the
French company Total and state owned Thai and Burmese oil firms.

They are building a US$1.2-billion (Bt30 billion) pipeline to
deliver gas from the  Burmese Yandana field in the
Andaman Sea to an electric power plant in Thailand.

Unocal and Total have been targets of international activist
groups protesting against the Burmese military government's human
rights record and its crackdown on democracy campaigners.

On Tuesday, the National Coalition Government of the Union of
Burma (NCGUB) and the Federation of Trade Unions of Burma (FTUB)
charged the California-based oil and gas company with human
rights violations in its natural gas pipeline project in Burma.

In a 14-page complaint the plaintiffs charged the Los
Angeles-based oil and gas company with human rights violations.
It specifically accused the joint venture of using forced labour,
systematic destruction of villages in the pipeline region and
other human rights atrocities.

"We are seeking an injunction against Unocal and monetary
damages, which as you can imagine are enormous," said attorney
Jason Adkins of the Boston-based law firm of Cristobal Bonifaz,
representing the NCGUB and the FTUB. Peter Schey, an attorney for
the plaintiffs in Los Angeles, said the group had not determined
how much they would seek in damages. Schey said the plaintiffs
did not plan to sue Total.

In a statement, Unocal denied the allegations, which it described
as "political". "The $1.2 billion natural gas project has caused
none of the false and outrageous allegations," it said. "We
believe that this lawsuit is motivated solely by political
considerations."

The NCGUB has its principal offices in Washington. The FTUB is
based in Bangkok.

The two groups filed the lawsuit in their personal capacity and
on behalf  of the citizens of Burma.

The suit sought a court order halting Unocal's role in the joint
venture. It said Unocal relied on the State Law and Order
Restoration Council - the Burmese military regime to provide and
maintain all military operations in the pipeline region, severely
repressing Burmese citizens.

KNU REPORT: HUMAN RIGHTS VIOLATIONS IN TAUNGOO DISTRICT
September 3, 1996

Human Rights abuses committed by the SLORC (State Law and Order
Restoration Council ) occur daily all over isolated places in the Karen
State, worst of all in the areas of Thaton District, Taungoo District and
Naunglinbin District but is totally veiled from the sight of the world.

On the 24th August , the commander of Column no:2 from LIB (Light
Infantry Battalion) 351,Major Win Shwe Oo ,shot and wounded Saw
Taw Klaw, age 20, a villager from Shazibo village,Taungoo District at
his farm hut. In these areas, male villagers seen outside the village are
considered insurgents and thus shot dead or arrested and tortured to death.

On the same date, Slorc troops from IB (Infantry Battalion) 48 took 10
villagers from Baw Gali Gyi village to be used as porters for them and on
the next day, they took 10 more people as porters.

On the 27th August, the same troop of Column no: 2 from LIB 351 ,led by
Major Win Shwe Oo, shot and wounded Maung Maung Tin ,age 30,a villager
from Zayatkyi village. At the same time , this Battalion arrested 54 villagers
from various villages in the area who came to pan gold at Nga Pet Loh area.
These villagers were taken as porters until now.

On the 30th August, the commander of IB 48, Myint Han, arrested 20
male and female villagers from Kaw Thay Der village and forced them
to carry arms and ammunitions and to clear landmines enroute to Naw
Soe and See Keh Der military camps. On the next day this Battalion and
her commander Myint Han took 30 more male and female villagers from
the same village as porters and mine sweepers. One female villager, Naw
Kaneh, age 18, stepped on a landmine and lost a leg.

If any battle between the Slorc troops and the KNLA (Karen National
Liberation Army) forces breaks out in the village or near the village, the
Slorc troops would set the whole village on fire, accusing the villagers of
supporting the insurgents.

Now the Slorc is launching a heavy offense against the Karen insurgents in
this area. The battalions maneuvering in the area are LIB 232, LIB 540, LIB
351, IB 48 and LIB 538.

SLORC INFO. COMMITTEE: SLORC'S PRESS CONFERENCE
September 2, 1996 (excerpts)

(Q) U Hla Htwe, Nihon Keizai Shimbum, correspondent
enquired  about the location of the political defiance training course
and whether the Government was to decide the NLD an illegal
organization, as the expatriate NLD Groups and the legally-
organized NLD have been making concerted moves to destabilize
the situation.

(A) Colonel Kyaw Thein replied that the last course was held in
KNU Sakhan Thit camp situated along the Thai-Myanmar border
area (south of Myawaddy township). Courses were also held in
New Delhi and along the Thai-Myanmar border. In referring to the
IRI annual report he pointed out photographs of student groups
who completed the Political Defiance training course in New Delhi. He
also called attention to remarks of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the
 absconder Sein Win of the NCGUB in the IRI publication. He said
appropriate measures will be taken if and when required.

(Q) Mr Robert Horn (AP):  What is the definition of political defiance
and what were the subversive acts that they were preparing to commit,
blowing up bridges or assassinating SLORC leaders? Could you enlighten
us to this?

(A) Col Kyaw Thein replied that as he did not attend the
political defiance course he didn't know the real meaning of what
political defiance was suppose to be. However, among the charts
presented there was a document in Myanmar explaining the political
defiance activities. There is also an English version has written by
Gene Sharp.

The real intention he thought was to disrupt the peace and
stability inside the country to incite some people who didn't have
much knowledge about the situation in the country. They have
formed this specific group or the specific training because they'd
expected these sort things to happen in the future.

(Q) Robert Horn (AP) also asked. If the subversive acts were
non-violent and your government says it is committed to bringing
forth the genuine multi-party democracy, and in most multi-party
democracies there is a place for non-violent protest. Why if these
acts are non-violent...why are they not allowed under the system
you are trying to bring forward?

(A) You have to define quite clearly what is non-violent and
what are violent means. The situation of 1988, started with a simple
demonstration. It nearly resulted in devastation of our country. A lot
of chaos and anarchy occurred in the past. It starts from such a
simple demonstration, so we have learned this lesson and we don't want
to experience this adverse situation.

At present, leaders of our country, have set priorities to
develop the country and turn it into a new democratic state, a more
developed state than in the past. Priority is being given to economic
changes .

Priorities has been given to raising the living standard of all
the hard working people inside country. With this in view, we are
concentrating our efforts to improve the basic needs and the
economic reform that are needed. In the mean time, any hinderance
of these efforts must be checked. Sometimes under the pretence of
human rights and democracy, things can go bad for our country. We
cannot allow these to happen.

(Q) Gary P.Thomas (Voice of America)
Has any thought been given to opening up trials to public
scrutiny or to Press scrutiny? The recent trials of the people who
were just sentenced were held in secret. No one knew about the
verdict. Has any thought been given to opening up trials to public
viewing?

(A) Col Kyaw Thein replied that the trials, have been held
according to the law. The government  will continue to do that. I
do not know whether these sort of trials will be opened to the public.

(Q).(Robert Horn... AP) Colonel... you said your trials were
held according to Burmese Law. But your opponents have been
complaining of mid-night arrests with no warrants. That people have
not had access to lawyers and in the case of U Win Htein, he asked
his Police Officer for a warrant and was told we already know what
your sentence is. And also that families have not been informed of
where about of their relatives who have been arrested and what the
 sentences are.

(A).What these people have quoted is that the police officer
who arrested U Win Htein had stated this sort of thing but
actually they haven't put this up with any actual evidence, whether
this person, this official had actually stated that or not. With
regard to U Win Htein's trial it was reported in the newspapers and
it has been clearly explained why he was sentenced.

(Q).I'm Jun Kamimura from Kyodo News.What was the
subversive action the NLD group was doing? I understood
distributing any anti-government leaflets and any political defiance
is regarded as subversive action. Is that correct?

(A).Yes. Partly.

(Q).So, I'd like to ask what at this moment the NLD is allowed
to do? They can do nothing at this moment as a political activity?

(A).Well ... they are doing something every weekend... they are speaking
to the people in front of their gate. In that case we are not taking
any action but as I have stated some appropriate measures will be
taken if and when required.

(Q).I understand... the Myanmar Government is heading
towards a multi-party system... so when the time comes will it
change or will there be no change during the provisional period to
multi-party system?

(A).Our ultimate aim is to make this country a new multi-party
 democratic state. This is the main aim of this government.... This is
a transitional period. So the aim is to go to that state.

(Q).So only after the multi-party system will be established..
they will allow a bit more freedom of activities?

(A).To be able to achieve that aim, we have been laying down
steps. The first step we are now in, is the process of trying to draw
up a new constitution. We are holding a National Convention.
This is what we are doing to reach that aim.

(Q)If I can ask you just one more question. How many years
does it take? We would like to know at least roughly two-three
years time or five-four years time?

(A) (U Thaung Nyunt) We have not set up a time frame yet
when this National Convention will finish and when our new draft
constitution will be drawn up. We don't have the time frame yet. But
as every body has explained I think most of the important chapters
needed to be discussed in the National Convention have already
been finished. Now we are discussing later when we reopen the
National Convention in the near future we will be discussing the
remaining chapters. As most of the important chapters have been
finished, I think the remaining chapters may not take that long to
finish.

(Q) U Ohn Gyaw, I have spoken to official representatives of
two ethnic groups who have had ceasefires with your government
since 1989 and who are attending  the National Convention. They
both complained to me that there is no dialogue at the National
Convention. And they were only permitted to observe, not to make
suggestions or to debate anything that the government puts forward
to the constitution. Is that true dialogue and will you expect this
constitution to endure if it is put forward in that  way?

(A) (U Ohn Gyaw) My surmise is that you put words in their
mouths and then whatever they say you take that as an answer. The
Convention is conducted after consultation with political parties,
intellectuals and the procedure was adopted and there are Standing
 Committees. In order to have a consensus, you know  how the
ASEAN works, you  know how any other forum works, you must
have some group discussion first.

(Q) (U Hla Htway) Last Saturday,  again I have to refer to the
press conference by  Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. She has described
the conditions  in jails as very poor and very bad and that diseases
such as  tuberculosis, HIV positive, these diseases have been
rampant. She  said she referred to the case of U Hla Than of Coco
Island who died on 2nd August saying that that was the result of the
 rampant spread of diseases in jails and that was also the result of
using only one syringe for many prisoners inside jails. Is that true?

(A)Colonel Ye Htut ( answer in Myanmar)
(Translated by U Thoung Htun of MOFA)
In order to respond to U Hla Htwe's question, we need
perhaps to go back to the background of this situation. You will
recall that U Hla Than was imprisoned back in 1991 on the 30 of
April, 1991. Action  was taken against him in accordance with the
law under section 122/1 of the Penal Code and he was sentenced
to 25 years.

Then , In 1996 while he was in the prison it was discovered
that he was ill. He was given  treatment in the prison hospital. He
was hospitalised and given treatment. Subsequently his situation
deteriorated and in July of 1996 he was transferred to the Yangon
General Hospital, that is five years after he was first sentenced to
prison. At the Yangon General Hospital tests  were performed.
Urine and saliva samples were taken. And it was determined that he
suffered from AIDS-HIV positive. When it was discovered that he
contracted AIDS he was given treatment in the hospital . His family
was allowed to visit him, and he was attended by his family.
Unfortunately, he passed away on the first of August, 1996.

U Hla Htwe in his question has raised the issue of the use of
a single needle by many prisoners in the jail. However, according  to
the medical knowledge that has been disseminated we are given to
understand that the incubation period for AIDS is round about ten
years. And it is likely that he may have contracted the HIV virus
some time ago and nobody can determine when he actually
contracted  the HIV virus. In the West the HIV -positive patients
usually find themselves with other complications such as pneumonia.
In Myanmr these patients mostly have bowel disorders such as
diarrhea , dysentery and sometimes  tuberculoses. In the case of U
Hla Than, he was determined to have contracted  tuberculosis. And
he passed away as a result of his illness. If the allegations of the
spread of HIV in the prisons were to be true , and if the allegations
that a single needle was passed around in the prison and that U Hla
Than contracted  that disease through the needle, what would be the
explanation for the  rest of these who are still in prisons?

Have they all contracted the disease?
In reality, the allegations do not hold any water and U Hla
Than passed away because of his own illness.

(Q ) (Mr. Simon Beardsell of WTN) I 've a question for Mr. U
Ohn Gyaw.... From the list of  politically  subversive acts that you
have read out before, Aung San Suu Kyi is  probably the most
publicly defiant of all these things, why don't you rearrest her
instead of arresting all the people around her...

(A). I have read out to you the prohibitions, Action has been taken
against those people who  transgress the law . It is not for acts in
the compound but for what they are doing in public.

US EMBASSY RANGOON: FOREIGN ECONOMIC TRENDS - BURMA
July 1996 (excerpts)

DEFENCE

Defence seems to be one of Burma's fastest growing sectors of Burma's
economy, although the lack of transparency in the defence sector impedes
analysis. The number of active-duty personel in the GOB's armed forces
is estimated to have grown from about 175,000 in FY 88/89, when the
SLORC came into power, to about 325,000 in FY 94/95. The stated intent
of  SLORC is to expand the number of the armed forces personel to
475,000.

Neither the absence of any evident external military threat nor the signing
of cease-fires-in-place with sixteen armed ethnic insurgent groups appears
to ppresage any slowing of the SLORC's military build up. Moreover, these
cease-fires can sometimes be illusory: during 1995/96 dry season, the SLORC
conducted arelatively large scale military offensive against the major
Karenni insurgent group, with which it had previously negotiated a cease
fire, while continuing to maintain that the cease fire was still in effect.

Within the Ministery Defence, funded as part of the general government
budget, are twelve distinct defence industries that make products ranging
from weapons to sports balls; some products from these twelve industries,
are displayed at the Defence Services Museum in Rangoon. By far largest
of these industries is the one that makes weapons, transport and tools for
the armed forces. During the early 1990's, the GOB, cut off from most of
it's traditional arms suppliers, launched a substantial import substitution
effort in the defence sector. It has expanded and modernized it's defence
industries, and has reported to have imported substantial amounts of
capital goods for this purpose. The GOB has also modernized two iron
and steel mills at Ywama, outside Rangoon, and Maymyo, a town east of
Mandalay that is near a large state owned iron ore mine and is home to
the GOB's new Defence Services Institute of Technology, as well as its
Military Academy. These mills, especially the one at Maymyo, may play
a key role in the SLORC's ongoing defence import substitution effort.

The US Arms Control and Disarmament Agency (ACDA), in it's most
recent edition of it's 'World Military Expenditures and Arms Transfers'
valued the GOB's military imports at US $20 million in 1989 and
$120 million in 1993. These figures are estimates of the market value
of current - period deliveries of military imports, including services,
building of defence production facilities, and dual - use equipment
identified as being for military use, but excluding food stuffs, medical
equipment, and petroleum products; they are based on observations and
credible reports of specific deliveries of goods and services.

Since FY 90/91, China has been by far the largest supplier of the GOB's
military imports. However, in FY 95/96, Russia also became a major supplier
of arms and military technical assistance to the GOB. The US, the EU
member governments, and Australia have approved appplications for licences
to export military equipment to Burma since the early 1990's or before, and
more recently, Japan and Korea have also refrained from supplying arms
to the GOB.

The GOB's defence expenditure account excludes hidden subsidies to
the Ministery of Defence from other parts of the public sector, in the form
of costless or below cost provision of goods and services. For example the
the Ministery of Defence recieves but does not pay for about one sixth of the
Burma's centrally generated electricity, with a value in FY 94/95 of about
two billion kyat at prvailing existing prices. The Defence ministery also
purchases large amounts of fuels from the state petrochemical monpoly, at
official prices far below market prices. Together the Defence Ministery's fuel
and electricity subsidies from state owned monopolies appear to have
amounted to at least four billion Kyat. Similarly a substantial and growing
share of the GOB's declining real expenditures on health is said by Health
industry experts to be used to provide medical services to military personel,
and is not included in the defence budget.

The foregoing estimates of defence spending also exclude substantial implicit
subsidies to the military from the private sector. Anecdotal evidence from
rural rice - surplus regions suggest that regional military commands in those
regions may directly procure from village head men, a large volume of paddy
perhaps as much as 30 million baskets 30 million baskets in FY 94/95.

Finally, this section's estimates of defence spending exclude substantial social
costs related to military activities, such as deaths, mutilations and population
displacement incurred by military conflicts that might be avoided by alternative
political arrangements, as well as uncompensated labor contributions to
defence, noteably forced porterage, which is widespread.

MDN: MAINICHI WINS AWARD FOR BURMA COLUMN
September 5, 1996 (Mainichi Daily News)

The Mainichi Shimbun won the Nihon Shimbun Kyokai (Japan Newspaper
Publishers & Editors Association) Award on Wednesday for carrying the
series "Letter from Burma" by Burmese dissident leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

The series has been carried in the Monday morning editions of the Mainichi
Shimbun and in the Mainichi Daily News since Nov. 27 last year.

Suu Kyi, secretary-general of the National League for Democracy, sent
the following message to Mainichi readers, expressing her joy over the
Mainichi's winning of the prestigious award.

MESSAGE TO MAINICHI READERS

The news that the Japanese Newspaper Association had decided to present
this year's Association Award to the Mainichi Shimbun for the series "Letter
from Burma" gives me a very special joy.  The thought that I played a part
in winning this prestigious award for a newspaper which I have come to
regard with much affection and respect fills me with a profound sense of
satisfaction.  Indeed, I can say with absolute sincerity that no award given
to me personally afforded me greater joy or satisfaction.

My main purpose in consenting to the proposal of the Mainichi Shimbun
that I should contribute a regular weekly column was to brig little-known
aspects of the Burmese situation to the attention of the Japanese public.
Now, thanks to the initiative and efforts of Mr. Hiroshi Nagai and the
generous spirit with which the Mainichi Shimbun was prepared to share
the series with other newspapers, "Letter from Burma" is appearing in
several countries.  It has enabled me to reach out to many peoples of the
world, to try to make them understand what is really happening in our
beautiful land where injustice and cruelty, fear and poverty, behind a
facade of rich golden vistas and friendly, smiling people.

There have been times when, due to pressure of work, I have been obliged
to write my weekly "Letter" in such a rush I was barely able to look it over.
Later, sometimes days or even weeks after a "Letter" had been dispatched, I
would discover careless mistakes, sloppy constructions or infelicitous
expressions that could have been avoided had I been in less of a hurry.  I
would like to apologize to the Mainichi Shimbun and my readers for my
inability to give consistently to the writing of the series the time and
attention that it truly deserves.

I can only conclude by offering my heartfelt congratulations to Mr. Takashi
Kawachi, the staff of the Mainichi Shimbun and Ms. Keiko Tosa, whose
brilliance in translation has contributed so much to the popularity of the
series among the Japanese readership.  May there be many more awards for all
of you.

Aung San Suu Kyi

BKK POST: FEASIBILITY STUDY ON BURMA LINK
September 5, 1996
Phusadee Arunmart

The Industrial Estates Authority of Industrial Estates Authority
of Thailand (IEAT) has completed a feasibility study of a
proposal to link Burma's planned Tavoy Industrial  Estate with
Thailand's Western Seaboard.

IEAT governor Somchet Tinapong  said the study would be presented
in  Burma next week.

Tavoy is located in southern Burma about 70 kilometres from the
Thai border checkpoint of Bong Ti in Kanchanaburi.

Mr Somchet said Tavoy should be developed as an export processing
zone or a free trade zone, adding that Italian-Thai Co had
already signed a memorandum of understanding to build the
two-billion-baht Tavoy Deep Seaport.

The Tavoy Industrial Estate would border the new port and would
be linked with the Western Seaboard provinces of Kanchanaburi,
Ratchaburi, Phetchaburi, Suphan Buri, Samut Sakhon, Samut
Songkhram and Prachuap  Khiri Khan.

The IEAT, Ital-Thai Co and the  Burmese government are
working on a draft plan of the Tavoy Industrial Estate in
cooperation with the Federation of Kanchanaburi Industries. The
estate would cost about ,five billion baht.

The industrial estate would focus on processing agricultural
goods, manufacturing wood furniture and producing energy. The
latter would tie in with Thai-Burmese plans to recover natural
gas in Yetagun and Yadana.

The IEAT governor said the port and industrial estate would spur
new trade routes, with Tavoy and the Western Seaboard forging
better ties with South Asia, Europe and Indochina.

Meanwhile, the Federation of Kanchanaburi confirmed that it had
al ready presented its plan for the Tavoy Industrial Estate
project to the Burmese government.

The federation wants to increase cooperation between the Thai and
Burmese private sectors involved in industry and is pushing for
joint ventures to set up the industrial estate and its factories.

BKK POST: KHUN SA DAUGHTER FREED
Money laundering charges dropped
September 4, 1996
Hong Kong, AP

The eldest daughter of Burmese opium warlord Khun Sa has been freed
after the prosecution dropped charges of laundering drug money.

Apawee Apitummakoob, 40, who is in the jewelry trade, got back her
passport and bail of HK$200,000 (640,000 baht) after being freed Monday.
Her whereabouts were unknown.

She was arrested in Hong Kong May 8 and charged the next day with
helping her father launder HK$33 million (105 million baht) in drug money.

She transferred the money from banks in Japan to Thailand through a
remittance centre in the British colony, police said.

The centres, although unlicensed, are not illegal and are not obliged to
keep records or disclose information to the police, said Superintendent
Steve Carruthers of the Narcotics Bureau.

But police could not prove "beyond unreasonable doubt that the money
came from drugs trafficking on the streets of New York, or whatever,"
Carruthers said in an interview yesterday.

Apitummakoob told the court the money was a political donation form a
Taiwan philanthropist, now deceased, to her father's Shan Liberation Army.

Khun Sa is under indictment in the United States for drugs trafficking.

Prosecutor Lynda Shine said she withdrew the charges because evidence
was lacking and the suspect could no longer be legally held.

She said Apitummakoob, one of Khun Sa's 30 children, had already
shifted HK$20 million (65 million Baht) for her father. (BP)

ANNOUCEMENT: BLOOD BEAT - MUSIC AND HUMAN RIGHTS
September 5, 1996

Celebrates 10 Years of Music and Human Rights

The 10th Anniversary Groovefest Compact Disc (CD) released in April
1996 celebrates 10 years of the largest, longest running Amnesty
International student event in the world. Blood Beat presents 18 songs
dedicated to human rights and the power of the human spirit.

Blood Beat encourages people to change the world at the local level.
The CD booklet profiles the case of the Pyitaingdaung Drum Band and its
Driver who has been imprisoned in the Union of Myanmar,(former Burma),
since May 1990 for singing songs in support of the National League for
Democracy. The booklet calls on people to fax and write the Myanmar
government to demand the Band's release from prison. The booklet calls
on young people to report human rights violations. The booklet contains
the entire text of The Universal Declaration of Human Rights passed by
the United Nations and ratified in 1948. The theme of Blood Beat is,
"This is Your World, These are Your Rights, Get Involved"!

Seventeen tracks and the cover art are donations from Oklahoma
musicians, bands and artists. The booklet cover word art piece and title is
a gift from University of Oklahoma Professor of Art, Hachivi Edgar Heap
of Birds. Edgar's work displays worldwide with respect and vision from his
Native heritage and culture.

The first track of the CD, "I Believe I Can Change My World", is a
donation and live recording from Atlantic Recording Artist Francis Dunnery
in New York City. The original version of this song appears on his CD,
"Tall Blonde Helicopter". The message in Dunnery's song clearly
communicates the hope that Amnesty members feel as they write letters,
circulate and sign petitions, and send faxes and postcards to governments
to demand accountability for violations of human rights. His performing
experience with Robert Plant, his own group in Great Britain, It Bites,
and work with David Gilmour during the 80's, has lead Dunnery to a
sound of soulful integrity that has universal appeal. Dunnery recently
toured Europe to sold out audiences as the sole, opening act for
Hootie and the Blowfish.

BLOOD BEAT 10TH ANNIVERSARY GROOVEFEST CD ORDER FORM

Checks, Money Orders, and International Money Orders Only, Please. Make
payable to: Amnesty International USA - Groovefest, and mail with order form
to the address below. Shipping and Handling is First Class by U.S. Mail
unless other arrangements are made. For orders of more than 10 CD's, to make
other arrangements, or for additional information contact us at (405)
843-9299, or write to the address below:

Number of CD's Ordered ________ @ $10.00 per CD $___________

Shipping and Handling Charges *    $___________

Total Amount Enclosed      $___________

* Shipping and Handling Charges:  1 - 2 CD's $2.50
Within the U.S.A.                            3 - 8 CD's $3.50
                                                        9 - 10 CD's $4.50

* Shipping and Handling Charges:  1 - 2 CD's $6.00
      International Orders                  3 - 8 CD's $14.00
                                                       9 - 10 CD's $18.50

Mail order form below to:         Groovefest CD
                                                 P.O. Box 700266
                                                 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma  73107
                                                 United States

Name ____________________________________________________

Address ____________________________________________________

City,State,Zip _____________________________________________

Country_____________________________________________________

Telephone (    )____________________________ (optional)

BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

BurmaNet regularly receives enquiries on a number of different
topics related to Burma. If you have questions on any of the
following subjects, please direct email to the following volunteer
coordinators, who will either answer your question or try to put you
in contact with someone who can:

Campus activism: 	zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Boycott campaigns: [Pepsi] ai268@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Buddhism:                    Buddhist Relief Mission:  brelief@xxxxxxx
Chin history/culture:        [volunteer temporarily away]
Fonts:                  		tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
High School Activism:     nculwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
History of Burma:            zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
International Affairs: 	 Julien Moe: JulienMoe@xxxxxxx
Kachin history/culture:      74750.1267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karen history/culture: 	Karen Historical Society: 102113.2571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mon history/culture:         [volunteer needed]
Naga history/culture: 	Wungram Shishak:  z954001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Burma-India border            [volunteer needed]
Pali literature:            	 "Palmleaf":  c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Pipeline Campaign       	freeburma@xxxxxxx
Resettlement info:	refugee_help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rohingya culture		volunteer needed
Shan history/culture: 	Sao Hpa Han: burma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shareholder activism:       simon_billenness@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Total - France		Dawn Star: cd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tourism campaigns:      	bagp@xxxxxxxxxx     "Attn. S.Sutcliffe"
volunteering: 		refugee_help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
World Wide Web:              FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx

Geographical Contacts:

Massachusetts		simon_billenness@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Feel free to suggest more areas of coverage]
also distributed via the soc.culture.burma and seasia-l
mailing lists. For a free subscription to the BurmaNet News, send
an e-mail message to: majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx

For the BurmaNet News only: in the body of the message, type
"subscribe burmanews-l" (without quotation marks).
For the BurmaNet News and 4-5 other messages a day posted on Burma
issues, type "subscribe burmanet-l"  (NOTE: this is a lower case "L",
not the numeral one).

Letters to the editor, comments or contributions of articles should be
sent to the editor at: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx