Rep.Rohrabacher's Floor Speech on B

Subject: Rep.Rohrabacher's Floor Speech on Burma (10/03)

Attn: Free Burma Activists
Re: Rep.Rohrabacher's Floor Speech on Burma (10/03)
Related Web Site: http://www.clark.net/pub/burmaus/
----------

            SUPPORT FOR AUNG SAN SUU KYI

                 HON. DANA ROHRABACHER

            in the House of Representatives

                THURSDAY, OCTOBER 3, 1996

 Mr. ROHRABACHER. Mr. Speaker, the Burmese regime is once again
cracking down on Aung San Suu Kyi and her democratic movement. The
large scale repression and violence by Burma 's tyrants we have witnessed
over the past week justifies a tougher approach toward the Rangoon regime.

 I introduced legislation this year to impose economic sanctions on Burma.
Although that legislation did not become law, the American people are
becoming more familiar with the tragic situation in Burma . I intend to
reintroduce similar legislation concerning Burma in the 105th Congress if
I am reelected.

 Last month, the Burmese regime held a long press conference during which
various officials criticized Aung San Suu Kyi and the United States.
Specifically, the urmese criticized the International Republican Institute,
and its program officer, Mr. Michael Mitchell, for working with the
democratic forces inside Burma . That kind of criticism is a badge of honor.

 Although the international spotlight rarely shines on Burma , I am watching
closely what is happening in that tortured land. The escalating reign of terror
against democracy activists and hilltribe people belies Rangoon callous
disregard for the infinite value of human life.

Mr. Speaker, the American people stand behind Aung San Suu Kyi and I am proud
the International Republican Institute is doing what it can to support democracy
in Burma .

                # # #