"feminist get tough maleness"? (r)

Well - my sincerest appologies - for some reason I got the impression after
reading some of the posts on this list serve that people might be
interested in subjects a little deeper than "SLORC / Anti-SLORC" - such as
how do we build societies, governments, and movements that reflect true
social-justice. Looking at the mail I recieved for pointing out that our
private communications are an important factor and reflect how we deal with
and respect different members of the movement and people outside the
movement, I guess that's not the case.

I should point out that I did not wish for this to be a long drawn out
discussion of Dawn Star's letter (mistakenly posted to this list). I'd
rather we started dealing with sexism (among other things) within the
movement so that when the people of Burma defeat SLORC (and other peoples
around the world do the same with their oppressors [and we will]) we can be
moving toward true freedom, instead of just "defeating the SLORC". In my
opinion, that means working towards justice in terms of gender, race etc.
now, not waiting for an "appropriate" time.

Of course, I've tried this before, with other groups, trying to bring up
internal problems instead of just the simpler external goals, and I've been
shouted down before as well. But from my experience, if issues such as
racism and sexism are not dealt with up-front, people who would otherwise
be excellent organizers often decide it is not worth it if they are going
to have to put up with people who fail to treat them with respect. Sorry to
use you're letter as an example dawn star, but I've seen to many people
just brush off sexist attitudes and complaints about them because they
"distact from the movement's real goals". As I pointed out in my post, dawn
star is no more guilty of sexism than I am - but I hope that by the time
SLORC is no more

This is not a private post, because this is not a private issue. I really
would rather this did not turn into a yelling-fest about private vs. public
posts (or really about Dawn Star's letter - I'm not trying to point out
that Dawn Star is the problem,far from it)
 - I would hope that we could discuss sexism as a part of the movement. I
also hope I'm not the only one who's worried about sexism and how it
affects us - if I am tho, I'm happy to be the only one saying anything.

Nick Jehlen