No Subject Given

To: burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 17:00:46 +0000
Subject: Karen rebels may attack Rangoon

The Asian Age Oct 17 .96
SUU KYI MEETS PARTY-MEN
Oct : 16 . Burmese Opposition Leader Aung San Suu Kyi and officials of  her
National League for Democracy have been holding regular meetings despite a
military blocked outside her home , sources said Wednesday. Ms Aung San Suu
Kyi held a series of meetings this week with members of the National League for
Democracy  central executive committee to map out strategies in response to a
recent crackdown against the Opposition , a Rangoon-based analyst said on the
telephone.

Military authorities reinstalled a barricade manned by armed riot police at the
approaches to Ms Aung San Suu Kyi's suburban home Saturday in an effort to
stop a meeting of some 300 National League for Democracy supporters from
taking place . Access to Ms Suu Kyi 's house has been restricted to even close
aides but she has been able to leave her compound allowing her to hold party
meetings elsewhere in Rangoon, the analyst said .
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
The Asian Age Oct : 17.96
KAREN REBELS MAY ATTACK RANGOON
Oct .16: Ms Aung San Suu Kyi may have committed Burma's largest political
party to the path of non- violence ,but ethic Karen rebels say they will take
attack Rangoon if they are pushed to the wall. "If they launch a general
offensive we will have to strike back, using urban guerrilla tactics ," a Karen
National Union official said on Tuesday from the Thai province of Tak ,
opposite Burma's southeastern Karen State . "We are not terrorists. The targets
will be military , installations , factories , in Rangoon and other towns and
cities . We will take strict measures to avoid civilian injuries ,"he added.