Repost (Memorandum protest against

Subject: Repost (Memorandum protest against recent crack-down)

PROTEST AGAINST THE RECENT CRACKDOWN UPON
STUDENTS' PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATION IN BURMA.

MEMORANDUM
Date.: 25/10/96

The military regime in Rangoon once again started oppressive
crackdown upon Rangoon Universities students.

On 21st of Oct. 1996, there was a minor conflict between the
R.I.T. students and few local people in a restaurant in Insein,
when the anti-riot police very brutally beat the students. As the
result few students were severely injured. After that about 1,000
students went on peaceful demonstration in their Campus;
demanding the authorities to reveal the truth of the incident and
to penalize the police concern.

In spite of fulfilling the righteous demand of the students the
SLORC's authorities are trying to crush the demonstration by an
ongoing crackdown upon the peaceful demonstration. Not only
this, they have arrested U Kyi Maung the vice chairman of the
National League for Democracy accusing him of his connection
with the students, on 23rd Oct. 1996.

The recent crackdown upon the peaceful demonstrations of
students are the burning evidence of SLORC's violation of basis
principles of democracy. This is quite contrary to their assurance
to the Burmese and international community in which they claim
to lead Burma on the path of democracy.

As such we strongly condemn the SLORC's recent brutality
against students demonstration. At the same time we want to
declare our full support and solidarity for the students move in
Burma.

We demand:-
1. For unconditional and immediate release of U Kyi Maung,
and all other political prisoners.
2. To respect  and allow the basic democratic rights, e.g.
freedom of speech, freedom of press and assemblence.
3. To start dialogue with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to solve the
future problems of the nation.
4. To transfer the state power to the public representatives
elected in 1990 elections.

Appeal to the International Community.

1. To implement the resolution of U.N.G.A. regarding Burma.
2. To cut off the diplomatic and economic ties with SLORC
regime.
3. We appeal to Government of India together with all
democracy loving nations to take effective steps to response
against SLORC's oppression rule and day to day activities.

Appeal to the People of Burma.

We very fervently appeal to the all walks of people in Burma to
show solidarity and provide full support to the recent move of
the students for the struggle of democracy.

We are Burmese pro-democracy activists in India.