U.S. protests arrest of demonstrato

Subject: U.S. protests arrest of demonstrators in Burma.

		U.S. Protests Arrest of Demonstrators in Burma

WASHINGTON (Reuter) - The United States is protesting to Burma's military
government over the arrest of nearly 200
protesters and continuing restrictions on opposition leader Aung San Suu
Kyi.

"We believe that as many as 187 students and demonstrators were detained
late last week in the wake of the demonstrations
and we have strongly protested this to the Burmese authorities," State
Department spokesman Nicholas Burns said Monday.

"We have also protested the continuing restrictions on Aung San Suu Kyi,"
Burns told reporters.

About 2,000 students from the Yangon University and the Yangon Institute
of Technology launched anti-government protests
recently, and the government responded by closing institutions of higher
learning in the capital.

The Burmese government last week requested Aung San Suu Kyi to remain at
her home until the situation returned to normal.
She has said she had no links with the student protesters and has
expressed displeasure at the restrictions.

"We once again strongly urge the Burmnese government to guarantee the
students can demonstrate as well as others, and we
believe that the government officials should open a dialogue with Aung
San Suu Kyi," Burns said.

[Reuter, 17 December 1997].