60th Anniversary Statement

           Statement on the  60th Anniversary of Bo Aung Kyaw Day
                 and World-wide Demonstration Day

20th December 1996

        The students and youth of Burma have been taken part in the
leading role in successive
national liberation movements of the country. Today marks the 60th
Anniversary of Bo Aung
Kyaw Day. On 20th December 1936, Bo Aung Kyaw, the first student leader
who gave up his
life while fighting for freedom and justice, was killed by the British
riot police.  Sixty years
after this martyrdom, the people of Burma from all walks of life are
still suffering various
hardships under the ruling military dictatorial regime in Burma. The
people are deprived of
fundamental human rights such as freedom of thought, freedom of
expression and freedom of
procession. The military dictatorial system which exists in Burma is the
main reason for the
country's forty-year old civil war and the lack of development in the
country. The people
continues to suffer political, economic and social hardships as long as
the military dictatorial
system exists in the country. A democratic society where democracy and
human rights of the
people are guaranteed has to be established for Burma to become a
peaceful and prosperous
nation in which all the nationalities can live together with equality and
dignity.

        The recent students' demonstrations in Burma reflect once again
that the people of
Burma does not want the military regime in the country. The people
continues to fight, by any
means, against all the repressive machinery of the military government.
Even though the
military government uses various inhuman oppressive methods to break down
the people's
movement for democracy, the students and youth of Burma who never bow
down to injustice
and oppression continue to carry on the struggle.  On this historic day,
we, the students and
youth of Burma reaffirmed our determination to continue the national
movement against the
military dictatorship and for the restoration of democracy in the
country. Our political
directions are :

1)         We are pledged to work with the whole people of Burma from all
strata of life for
the restoration of democracy and human rights in the country. The
nation-wide people's
uprising against the ruling military junta has to be broke out once again
in Burma.
2)         We demand the ruling military regime to accept the offer of
Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
for the "dialogue" to solve the country's problems peacefully and
politically.
3)         The National League for Democracy (NLD) which got the
landslide victory in the
1990 elections has to be handed over state power by the ruling military
government, namely
State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC).
4)       The democratic government, the National League for Democracy
(NLD)
Government, must be established in Burma and the "national
reconciliation" has to be achieved
with the participation of all the nationalities of the country.

        The SLORC regime has not done anything for the democratization in
the country since
it came into power in 1988. Moreover, its brutal repression to the people
of Burma becomes
more evident and crystal. Many student leaders and NLD leaders were
arrested again after the
recent demonstrations in Rangoon and Mandalay of Burma.  We strongly
believe that the
SLORC regime has to be imposed the international embargo similar with the
one imposed to
the Apartheid regime of South Africa by the international community. We
earnestly call upon
the international community to impose a global economic sanction
immediately against the
ruling military regime in Burma.

STUDENTS & YOUTH CONGRESS OF BURMA
          (SYCB)