WILL INDIA BUY BURMESE GAS?

              IS INDIA PLANNING TO BUY BURMESE GAS?

The recent reports about Total/Unocal's new contract to
explore Block 8 (the most south-westerly of the offshore
exploration blocks in Burmese waters) set me thinking about
stories I heard in India last December that Unocal and another
company were proposing to pipe Burmese gas to India. The way I
heard it, India is worried about security of supplies from the
Gulf and was thinking seriously about the proposal, but had
not decided. I imagine if India did agree to buy, that might
encourage further exploration. Conversely, if India were
persuaded not to buy, it might generate a healthy depression
in some quarters.

Could our friends in India and/or those with inside
information and/or an inclination for digging check this out,
and put the information with as many details as possible on
the net or pipe it to darnott@xxxxxxxxxxx

David Arnott, Geneva, 31/1/97