UPDATE ON KAREN REFUGEE CAMPS #4

2 Febuary 1997  8:45 am Thailand time

At 9:30 pm Feb. 1, one of our staff spoke to her friend at the Nai
Amphur's office in Tha Song Yang near Sho Klo camp.  Sho Klo camp was
being shelled and rangers have returned to positions near Sho Klo and Mae
Tan.  She is currently enroute to the office to speak with the officials
there.

She should return later today, and another one of our staff who went to
check on the situations of several of the Southern camps yesterday will
also be returning.  Expect more information later this evening.

Burma Issues