NLD-LA( YOUTH)'s statement on Union

Subject: NLD-LA( YOUTH)'s statement on Union Day

STATEMENT OF THE NATIONAL LEAGUE FOR DEMOCRACY - LIBERATED AREA(YOUTH) ON THE GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY OF THE UNION DAY.

1. Today is the 50th Anniversary of the day the leaders of the Anti-Fascist People's Freedom League (AFPFL) led by the national leader General Aung San and the leaders of nationalities, with the aim to liberate entire nation from the yoke of the colonial imperialist and establish a sovereign federal state, a conference was held at Panglong in Shan State and achieved the famous ?Panglong Agreement? on February 12, 1947.

 2. After World War two, taking  good opportunity of the conflict between capitalism and communism and also other problems and difficulties faced by the imperialist countries, many colonies have tried for and achieved freedom. Burma also achieved the independence after getting national unity by negotiations among the leaders of the ethnic nationalities and political forces.

3. The ethnic leaders and those of the AFPFL led by national leader General Aung San  gained national reconciliation not by the way of armed suppression, coercion or temptation.

They achieved it by getting understanding and consensus among themselves on the basic rights of the ethnic nationalities as mentioned in that agreement that; " Though the Governer?s Executive Council will be augmented as agreed above, it will not operate in respect of the Frontier Areas in any manner which would deprive any portion of these areas of the autonomy which it now enjoys in internal administration. Full autonomy in internal administration for the Frontier Areas is accepted in principle. Citizens of the Frontier Areas shall enjoy rights and privileges which are regarded as fundamental in democratic countries.?

 4. Hence, we the NLD-LA(Youth) earnestly accept the above facts as laid down in the Panglong Agreement. On the auspicious occasion of this Golden Anniversary, we reaffirmed our determination to abolish military dictatorship with the national solidarity by Panglong spirit and to join hands with all the walks of the people to establish a new multi-party democratic state,

5. In the current situation, ethnic groups and the political forces including the NLD have been striving for the national reconciliation with sincerity, but no response yet from the SLORC.

6) Here, we also urge the international community;
- not to make investments in Burma
- to withdraw all investments and business from Burma
- to stop all assistance and support to the SLORC; and
- not to allow SLORC as a member of the ASEAN.

Central Youth Working Group
National League for Democracy - Liberated Area (Youth)