Daw Suu's Speech at University of T

Subject: Daw Suu's Speech at University of Technology, Sydney

Daw Aung San Suu Kyi?s speech

Address by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi  of Burma
upon receiving an Honorary Doctorate of Letters in absentia from The
University of Technology, Sydney, 21 February 1997.
Address delivered on her behalf by her husband Dr Michael Aris,

An honorary Doctorate of Letters from a university of technology for a
politician appears on the surface to be a strange combination.  But
politicians and those studying technology share this in common, that we
are both seeking to find new ways of improving present conditions.  It
is an exciting challenge, trying to change the present that our future
might be better.

The future belongs to those who are equipped to bring a new and more
desirable shape to our world.  No amount of technological advancement
will guarantee peace or prosperity.  Technological know-how has to be
translated into a form that can promote human happiness.  The main
purpose of technology should be to remove what is ugly and onerous from
the life of humanity, just as the chief responsibility of politicians
should be to remove what is ugly and onerous from the life of their
nation.

Without education we can achieve nothing of value.  Education is not
necessarily a matter of qualifications acquired in formal institutions.
It is a process of mental and intellectual training, whether formal or
informal, that results in a capacity for assessing problems correctly
and finding the best solutions.

Ill-educated people with their resentment of learning and their need to
prove the superiority of their ignorance cause much unnecessary
suffering.  According  to the teachings of Buddhism, which is reflected
in the thoughts of some western philosophers, there is an extremely
close link between lack of knowledge, or stupidity and evil.

It is for this reason that good academic institutions which seek to
expand human knowledge and to uphold high standards of scholastic
endeavour represent a beacon of hope for those who are experiencing the
evils of a lack of good education.  The curtailment of the right to
develop initiative and to exercise freedom of expression has disastrous
effects on the future of a nation.  Our struggle for democracy is also
the struggle to assert our right to genuine education.  And it is for
this reason that we so value the support of academic institutions.

Australians, as the citizens of a nation forged out of hard endeavour,
have a reputation for a tough, independent mentality and derring-do.  We
expect from you the boldness to stand up and speak for the rights of
those who are seeking to cast off their shackles.

In today?s ever-shrinking world, everybody can contribute towards
desirable change.  In our country where the military regime has a
monopoly on the whole media apparatus, our people are forced to depend
on external radio and television stations to receive uncensored news.

With its proximity to Burma and with the increasing numbers of Burmese
on its soil, we hope that Australia will recognise the need for
disseminating information in the Burmese language on the educational,
social, economic and political currents sweeping across the globe.

As I thank your Vice-Chancellor Professor Blake and his predecessor
Professor Guthrie for their part in conferring on me an honorary
Doctorate of Letters of this university, I would like to request the
students and young people of Australia to keep in mind our struggle,
which is part of the struggle of humanity to evolve as a better species.