Dalai Lama prays for Deng's afterli

Subject: Dalai Lama prays for Deng's afterlife

Dalai Lama prays for Deng's reincarnation (AFP)

    WASHINGTON, Feb 19 (AFP) - The Dalai Lama said Wednesday that he
would
pray for "a good rebirth" for Deng Xiaoping, China's elder statesman who
died
in Beijing at age 92.

    "I personally pray for a good rebirth for him, and I wish to offer
my
condolences to the members of his family," said the Buddhist Tibetan
leader
during an interview with the Tibetan service of Voice of America.

    Deng, "was the leader of the Communist Party's totalitarian system,
so ..
it is inevitable that many mistakes are made, ... as the system itself
dictates what to do," said the Dalai Lama who has lived in exile since
the
communists seized Tibet.

    "However, whether it is good or bad, a chapter of history has
closed",
added the Dalai Lama.

    The Dalai Lama, who met Deng on a number of occasions in China,
regretted
that Deng did not manage to resolve the Tibetan issue.