Slorc: "EU should not block Burma i (r)

Subject: Re: Slorc: "EU should not block Burma into Asean" (24/02/97 reuters)

>From nin@xxxxxx Wed Feb 26 15:11:45 1997
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:48:48 +0100 ()
To: Slorc community
Subject: Eurodelegation PvdA, 1 March 1997

For your info.
There will be a conference on 1 March 1997, coming Saturday, on
the issue of European Human Rights Policy (Place: West Indisch Huis,
Herenmarkt 99 Amsterdam)

Points of discussion (in brief):
	* contribution EU on respecting Human Rights, as well as in as outside the
  	  Union
	* Dutch Human Rights Policy
	* Does international compagnies have responsibility if Human Rights are at
  	  stake?
	* What is the relation between trade and investments on one hand and
  	  international labor (norms/rights) on the other hand
	* Do we think that Human Rights violations in China are different from those
  	  in Burma; is a difference in reaction justified?
	* Do we need to have restrictions made conc. Development aid, to countries
    	  where HR are largely violated?

Present: Foreign Minister Mr. Hans van Mierlo, Ed van Thijn, Eren Keskin
(Turkish Human Right activist, recently released!), staatssecretaris van
Dok-van Weele, Ir. Slechte (president-director Shell), Hedy d'Ancona,
Piet Dankert, Wiersma and many others.

Information/subscription at: PvdA Eurodelegatie, Plaats 27a, 2513 AD Den Haag.
Tel: 070-3467000, Fax: 070-3637669