Quotable quotes of Daw Aung San Suu

Subject: Quotable quotes of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi on 1 March 1997

Reference:	The Vancouver Sun
                March  1, 1997, Saturday, FINAL EDITION

Commentary:
	 ....., she cites examples of sheer brutality
	(forcing prisoners to act as human mine-sweepers) and supreme pettiness
	(preventing ethnic dancers from performing for the NLD).

Question:	:Eventually, there must be some accommodation between the
		two bitter opponents. Has the SLORC made any overtures?

ASSK:		:Nothing serious. But eventually they will have
		to end up at the bargaining table. The sooner they do the easier
		things will be. "Even wars finally end by people sitting down and
		talking over ways to clean up the mess."

Question:	:Is there anyone who might bring the junta to the table?

ASSK:		:"SLORC is very much a closed society, but I can't think they all
		think the same way. I have to think there are still some SLORC
		members who have not lost their consciences."

ASSK:		:"Sometimes, 24 hours can bring a total revolutionary change."

ASSK:		:"I think this is the case in the great majority of authoritarian
		states: on the surface, because of repression, everything
		seems frozen, but when the sun comes out and the ice
		melts, you find that there was a lot of life underneath all along."

Commentary:	:That is what she sees beneath the ice in  Burma.  In one of the
		poorest countries in the world, the gap between rich and
		poor is growing. The education system is decaying. The junta has shown
		no reluctance to mow people down with machine guns when necessary.

Commentary question:	:Does she ever get discouraged?

ASSK:		:"What is there to be discouraged about? Gandhi said the victory is
		in the struggle itself. The struggle itself is the most important thing.
		I tell our followers that when we achieve democracy, we will look back
		with nostalgia on the struggle and how pure we were.
   		"We will prevail because our cause is right, because our cause is just. ...
		History is on our side. Time is on our side."