ABMU STATEMENT ABOUT SLORC'S OFFENS

Subject: ABMU STATEMENT ABOUT SLORC'S OFFENSIVE AGAINST KNU

		A L L    B U R M A    M U S L I M    U N I O N

	Statement of ABMU about SLORC's offensive against KNU

After ignoring the proposed cease-fire, SLORC (State Law and Order Restoration Council ) has launched its general offensive against KNU (Karen National Union)  in the middle of  February that over ran KNU Brigade 6 area.

About 2,000 Muslims along with many Karen people have to flee from the area, crossed the border into Thailand as new refugees and extended the population of Muslims refugees of the border to 20,000.

Meanwhile the inner parts of the area, some of the villagers left behind were resettled by the SLORC. But, a Muslim mosque of Kyaikdon village was destroyed and set ablaze along with a Muslim religious school, properties and farm-land belong to the Muslim
s were looted by the SLORC's army. Muslims were denied to resettle and at the gun point they were then chased out of the area.

ABMU which is the member of DAB, "Democratic Alliance of Burma", and NCUB, National Council of the Union of Burma, will continue its anti-military dictatorship struggle until genuine peace and democracy were restored in Burma.

We would like the entire people of ASEAN countries and sympathizers of the world to know the situation in Burma, especially those of Malaysia and Indonesia who are playing leading role in ASEAN, and their Governments are very close the SLORC and blindly s
upporting the constructive engagement towards Burma.

								Central Committee
								All Burma Muslim Union
March 6, 1997

Contact address;  P.O Box 11-445 Bangkok 10110